“A beacon of light”

The Old Hill Inn
Ranked #4 of 22 Restaurants in Ingleton
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Old Hill Inn is an ancient inn of great character, part of which dates back to 1615 and the other part 1835. Originally a farm, then Drovers inn, now specialising in delicious home cooked food and excellent puddings. A family of chefs run the establishment, three working on the savoury side, and Colin, a famous pastry chef and sugar sculptor extordinaire has spectacular sculptures on display. An interesting place with log fires and beams, where Winston Churchill used to stay for hunting, shooting and fishing holidays. Situated in the heart of the Yorkshire Dales, nestling between Ingleborough and Whernside, with fantastic views from the superb en-suite letting rooms. An ideal location for a cosy meal and also catering for parties. There are many walks from here eliminating the need for a car if one wants solitude and space, and it is also an ideal location for anybody interested in the local wildlife - birds and plant life especially. We have a woodpecker family living here!!
Reviewed August 19, 2018

We recently attempted to walk the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in horrendous weather (thought it would be a safe bet in August ) and planned for a short refreshment stop at the Old Hill Inn.
When we came off Whernside, soaked, cold and miserable we arrived at the pub around 4.30pm but to our disappointment it was closed until 6.30pm.
We decided that it was unsafe and unwise to climb the final peak due to the increasing poor conditions so knocked on the pub door purely to obtain a taxi number.
The landlady opened up and invited us in, put more logs on the fire and said we should warm up and dry out for a while.
Another member of staff made us fresh coffee and then we had a well earned alcoholic drink whilst the landlady tried to arrange a taxi for us.
Unfortunately a taxi company couldn’t be contacted but a lovely young lady who was visiting the pub on business offered us a lift back to the village where our car was parked some 14kms away.
Many thanks to the kindness of the landlady and Tamara for saving us from the elements.
Northern hospitality at its best.

1  Thank TennisFan10

Reviewed August 17, 2018

Staying in Ingleton, the Old Hill Inn was recommended to us.
Booked a table for Friday lunchtime and I can only say that it exceeded all expectations.
Don't be put off by the exterior, it's what happens inside that counts!!
Cosy bar and dining area crowned with fine food and delicious desserts, my taste buds will thank me for years.
After so much bland/average pub food in the last few years this was a reward for my patience.
Best rib eye steak EVER,then the lemon torte with raspberry coulis and marscapone ice-cream what a finale.
Thank you to all at the Old Hill Inn for restoring my faith in good food.

Reviewed August 17, 2018

Situated in peerless countryside in the lee of Ingleborough. Comfortable and cosy in a well-worn unpretentious way. When I stayed I was made warmly welcome by Bean and her staff. Excellent food and real ale. For me the highlight was the lamb shank with homemade mint and apple jelly. You can go walking from the front door and leave the car for the day. I will return.

Reviewed August 17, 2018

Walked there from Ingleton via the Waterfalls Walk. As soon as we went inside we felt so at home.
Friendly, cheerful and helpful staff, good ale, great atmosphere and food to die for. Couldn't fault anything. Had the lamb shank for lunch and it was perfect.
The only blot on the day, we were walking back to Ingleton and couldn't stay longer.

Reviewed August 12, 2018

A very welcome return to Yorkshire for me it’s been far too long, booked into a great air B and B at a village called newby where my host told me of two pubs worth eating at, after a good old google i plumped for the Old hill inn because it’s not open Monday’s and I’m only here for two days.
So glad I did the pub looks a bit shabby from outside but don’t be fooled it’s foodie heaven!
I don’t think mussels have a place on a Yorkshire menu when they an abundance of quality food on the doorstep, so I went for home reared pork shoulder with mash, and veg and proper apple sauce with the addition of cloves of cloves it was fantastic, the pork melted the mash super creamy a bit too much gravy for me but again it’s a personal thing. Followed up by the best lemon tart I have ever eaten, someone else has already passed comment on how good it is, they weren’t wrong. My initial thought was at 7.50 in Yorkshire a bit expensive but the dessert proved me wrong, served with spun sugar! In a pub in the middle of the dales! I shall definitely be going back. Friendly staff, good beer what’s not to like.