“this place gives the word hotel a bad name”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Leyburn
The Golden Lion Hotel
Ranked #9 of 20 Leyburn B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 1, 2009

I recently stayed here with my mother who is 83. We arrived at 12 - I said "we have booked for 5 nights" and a woman behind the bar said "yes, but not till 2 o'clock". She was offhand and unfriendly. When we returned she showed us our rooms but did not explain how to work the shower. My room was small but adequate. My mother's room was larger but a) the kettle leaked, b) the window would not open, c) the carpet was dirty, d) the drawers did not open properly, e) the cleaning done each day was only average (tea bags left in tea pot for example), f) no biscuits were left on three days, g) no milk was left on one day. The breakfasts were of good quality but the first woman who served them was moody and not particularly pleasant and then a new woman started who did her best with little support from anyone else. Despite being quoted £38 per night over the phone, we were charged £45 and when I queried this we were told it was because we had different rooms to those originally intended for us. When my mother expressed her dissatisfaction with the place and the service in general the manager just said "what are you saying" and was defensive and unhelpful. The only really positive thing to say about this place is that I can recommend the evening meals.

• Stayed: August 2009

Reviewed June 28, 2009

Just went here for dinner, it was quite busy. We were seated near the kitchen and for the first 25 minutes the chef was blasting out music, in the end I had to ask for it to be turned down, as this was playing as well as the radio on the restaurant speakers.

I cannot comment on the hotel as we didn't stay. My husband had the home made chicken pate to start which was a generous portion and yummy, followed by the beef sunday roast and was very happy, It was a huge portion and we ended up taking a bit chunk of beef home for our cats!

My meal was not so great. I chose a veggie option just because it sounded nice - goats cheese and vegetable bake. What I got was a deep fried mess that tasted of nothing but grease. My chips were ok, and the salad was lovely and fresh.

The restaurant is a bit dated and could do with a fresh lick of paint, but portions are massive and reasonably priced (1 starter and two mains came to £20.25 excluding drinks), and service is fine. The toilets weren't the cleanest I've seen by a mile. There are nicer places in Leyburn to eat I would guess.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank sidneyhearts
Reviewed June 8, 2008

This small hotel in the heart of Wensleydale has just been taken over by new management. It is now a truly family concern and that is how I was cared for as part of the family. There is an amazing chef and I found the food extraordinary and delightful. The quality and invention of the menu was of a standard way above the usual pub grub. Nothing was too much trouble and I felt really comfortable. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will return.

• Stayed: June 2008, traveled solo
    • Check in / front desk
1  Thank WestYorkshireDonna
Reviewed March 16, 2008

Having just returned from an overnight stay in this lovely village just off the A19, I must mention our B/B accommmodation The Golden Lion Hotel, a warm welcome awaits, friendly staff, good food and lovely clean warm modern bedrooms [huge bed ]with a large wet room instead of the usual small shower over the bath. Our friends room had a door that opened out onto what could be a very lovely sitting area in the warmer weather, we will return. thank you.

2  Thank travellingturners15
Reviewed November 1, 2007

I recently took a group of university students to stay in the Yorkshire Dales for five nights, and the Golden Lion was our headquarters. We rented the entire hotel. The place is not posh, but the rooms are clean and well cared for; one had a brand-new bathroom and several had new televisions. Knowing that Americans love their showers, the managers arranged for a very small room with a shower, which we were not using, to be left unlocked so that those whose rooms only had bathtubs could use it to shower. The breakfast was ample and filling. I would stay here again on my own.

• Stayed: October 2007
    • Check in / front desk
2  Thank Ispahan1
Also consider these accommodations in or near Leyburn
The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
#8 of 20 in Leyburn
The Wensleydale Heifer
The Wensleydale Heifer
#1 of 4 in West Witton

Been to The Golden Lion Hotel? Share your experiences!