“A must!”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2014 via mobile

Was recommended this restaurant by a local b&b owner. Lovely host and excellent food. Highly recommended.

There are newer reviews for Sandpiper Inn

Reviewed January 23, 2014

We had an unplanned stay in Leyburn for business. A wonderful host and delicious food. I will definitely return!

Reviewed January 19, 2014

I've just returned from an evening meal with my mother. Food and drink quality was as good as always but this time the quality of the service matched it. In the past I've been disappointed with the service but tonight not

Reviewed January 15, 2014

Christmas Day is a very special day and a special time to eat with ones family. What must be remembered is that those establishments choosing to offer this service must back it up with what it is all about. Sadly I am writing this review having exhausted all avenues and I feel I must warn others of the pitfalls of this establishment.

We booked the restaurant for Christmas dinner. They imediately insisted on a sizeable deposit. £250 which was drawn down in advance rather than taking it as a security. Our party was 5 Adults & 3 Children aged 9, 3 & 18 months. The booking was for 2.00pm. We rang the restaurant to advise them that we were en-route and that we were running behind, gave our apologies. How many people do not even bother to call. We got there at 2.30pm. We sat at the bar where we were corrected and told off about our time keeping. Hmm not a good start. We ordered our drinks & were told that we must hurry up and order. We were then rushed to our table.

Having found our seats. It became a production line. At no point did the owners engage in any communication with us. Whether it be greeting, eye contact or festive cheer. I know its Christmas Day but if your are charging a Kings ransome then let there be cheer to the proceedings with a smile.

There was no music and the mood was almost somber. We were made to feel that we were an encumbrance to the proceedings; perhaps it was because we were the last table. Throughout the meal I can only say that we were served by Children or very young staff that haven't quite mastered the art of service. No different to that of a cafe or a fast food operation. In fact worse.

Desserts were ordered, I chose the cheese which was dried up as it had been plated long before. Christmas day & no Christmas pudding on offer. How very odd.

By this point the clearing up of the other tables made us feel so uncomfortable that the thought of liquors and relaxing with ones coffee was out of the question. That certainly was not on offer. The smell of table disinfectant was permitting the room by now.

We asked for the bill that was plonked on the table, no smile as they walked away. Coffees for five adults came to over £17.00. We settled up, still no sign of the owners who could be seen from a distance counting the money out. I think the final straw was when my brother in law was trying to put little Josey into her push chair & get past. No attempt was made to move out of the way whilst they applied more table top spray to our table that we were trying to get up from.

This may sound like a rant. It certainly is not, I hope the owners read this & take heed. If your offering a service and allow families with Children then treat them with the respect they deserve, particularly when the costs are ramped for Christmas day. Next time' well there won't be one here. It will be the Fox & Hounds in the village at less that half the price with more festive cheer than this establishment could ever offer. This report has been reluctantly raised after getting a blank response from the owners after our letter advising us that they have noted our points………..

2  Thank Bobcat2014
Reviewed January 3, 2014

What a find. A fantastic restaurant tucked away in Leyburn. Great food and brilliant service. If you are looking for somewhere for a special occasion, this is the place.