“Very Disappointed”

Ranked #16 of 34 Restaurants in Leyburn
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We ordered Fish and Chips which were ok, but were cold within minutes as the plate was STONE COLD. The dish came with a Salad dressing and if this had been the reason why the plate was cold then serve the salad separately. The portion of chips was also very meagre and not very well cooked.

We also ordered omelettes. These were good but, again, were cold within minutes because of a COLD PLATE. Again the portion of chips was meagre.

The service was not all that brilliant either as the meal was slow in arriving and the fish gave the impression it had been standing in the kitchen long before it was sent to the table. Also ,no one came to ask if we were enjoying the meal.

We have eaten here before but this time it was very disappointing and I really cannot recommend it. May try it again one day but not for a while.

Reviewed October 22, 2013

Popped in for the lunch on the first Saturday of our week away. Place was full with what mainly seemed like locals giving a real buzz of happy atmosphere to the cafe. Food was all delicious with my Oriental beef salad packed with a myriad of flavours and excellent quality meat. Superb value with cafe prices for bistro quality food and bountiful portions. Order at the counter in true cafe tradition and service functional,perhaps lacking a touch of Yorkshire warmth the only criticism.

Reviewed October 20, 2013

Called today 20/10/2013 i had a roast ham sandwich but it was not slices of ham but great big chunks. the coleslaw with it was very bland and the salad with it had seen better days. My mum had a veggie burger which she said was ok but the chip with it all four of them! were undercooked as were the onion rings. Not once did any one ask if eveything was ok. and as you have to pay before you get the food its too late,

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Stopped here for lunch on a very wet afternoon. The interior is a bit like Costa Coffee with comfy sofas and tub chairs. Bacon & Brie Panini with cranberry sauce, excellent, my wife had Chicken & Brie Panini with chilli sauce, also excellent. Cheerfully served with a couple of nice cups of coffee. On reflection my Panini was probably one of the best I have ever had.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

I’ve been to Penley’s a few times before and always been fairly impressed, and I like the place, hence my return visit.

The atmosphere is welcoming and the staff are cheery and good. On this occasion I went in with my two daughters for lunch and the food was way below previous standards. The jacket potatoes were dreadful, the chilli was granular and tasteless, the other orders were equally poor. Not sure what’s gone wrong and I hope it was nothing more than an ‘off day’ but it was a rubbish.