“Friendly Village Pub”

The Three Horseshoes
Ranked #10 of 34 Restaurants in Leyburn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional country inn with flagged floors and low beams.
Reviewed August 24, 2013

This is a small country pub in the pretty village of Wensley. Wifey and I stopped off at the candle makers in the old water mill next door, and then came here for a quick lunch. We both had a sandwich with a thick wadge of roast beef in a warm baguette. It has a decent real ale selection (four I think). We were made to feel welcome - so we must have been served by the friendly female bar staff, not the grumpy man.

1  Thank L3K

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We have tried to dine here before but they stop serving food at 8pm which is a little early for us. We made a point of going earlier so we could eat.
We were not made to feel at all welcome. We stood at the bar for a pre diner drink but there was no conversation from the barman. We enjoy a bit of friendly banter when we go out. If we just want food, we can eat at home. When we asked about dining, we were just told to order by 7-55pm, there was no discussion as to where we could sit as all the tables were taken at this point. There was no mention of any specials, or recommendations.
The food was ok, but the brusk attitude of the barman who also served the food, was very off putting. At 8pm, 4 people who had reserved a table, arrived. No friendly welcome for them either. The barman told them they must order straight away without even asking them what they would like to drink. When the customer commented on the unfriendly welcome, the barman replied 'you were told on the phone you had to order by 7-55pm'. The four customers walked out very unhappy.
Not only did the attitude of the barman lose their custom, but also ours. We will not be going back until there is a change of staff/ownership.

4  Thank heather h
Reviewed November 12, 2012

This is a great pub, a real local with wonderful well-kept Dales beers, fantastic sensibly priced food and a great view from the beer garden. Try the giant Yorkshire puddings, they're perfect after a bracing walk. It's dog-friendly too with a lovely wood burner and characterful rooms. Very friendly owner who's happy to chat and makes the tourists feel just as welcome as the regulars.

1  Thank LawsonsStudio
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Pub was fairly quiet with only 4 other diners. My wife ordered the Steak & Ale Pie & I ordered a Gammon Steak. We had to wait 25 minutes because we were told the Steak & Ale Pie has home made pastry. The Gammon Steak turned out to be somewhat fatty and tough. The Steak & Ale Pie had pastry which was clearly uncooked and inedible, and the contents contained far more mushrooms and carrots than steak. Overall we were very disappointed and wont be going there again.

1  Thank Graham E
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I took my family here for an evening meal. We arrived just after 7:30 on a Thursday evening, took a table by the window, ordered drinks from the bar then sat down and looked at the menus. As large group arrived just after us, we had to wait about 10 minutes after making our choices to order as the only barman was busy.

When I placed our order at the bar I was only then told by the barman that my choice, the steak and ale pie was "the only thing off the menu sir". Ok, no problem, let me have a couple of minutes to chose something else...OK, steak and red wine casserole!. I returned to our table.

After about 5 minutes, a man appeared from the kitchen and told us that my wife's choice (gammon) was also off, along with the sirloin steak. he told us to hurry up and choose something else as the kitchen had stopped taking orders at 5 to 8 (YES, 5 to 8! I checked my watch and it was now just 4 minutes past 8). Under some pressure and a heavy glare my wife chose from the limited meat options remaining. The man headed back to the kitchen.

Immeditaely after ordering we felt unhappy as none of our first choices were available and we no longer felt welcome in the pub. I went to the bar, cancelled the food order and paid for the drinks we'd had.

Whilst we were finishing our drinks, the man appeared again, and said that we couldn't cancel the order as he'd already started cooking. Unprompted, a woman we'd never met at the next table told him "tough!". I had to agree with her, telling him we no longer wanted to eat there.

The man wnt back to the kitchen. The mystery woman told us she could't believe how rude the Man had been, told us she no longer wanted to stay and left with her partner. We followed shortly after.

1  Thank Tony B