“Great beer, surly service...”

The Three Horseshoes
Ranked #9 of 34 Restaurants in Leyburn
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Traditional country inn with flagged floors and low beams.
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great beer, surly service...”
Reviewed August 25, 2012

I took my family here for an evening meal. We arrived just after 7:30 on a Thursday evening, took a table by the window, ordered drinks from the bar then sat down and looked at the menus. As large group arrived just after us, we had to wait about 10 minutes after making our choices to order as the only barman was busy.

When I placed our order at the bar I was only then told by the barman that my choice, the steak and ale pie was "the only thing off the menu sir". Ok, no problem, let me have a couple of minutes to chose something else...OK, steak and red wine casserole!. I returned to our table.

After about 5 minutes, a man appeared from the kitchen and told us that my wife's choice (gammon) was also off, along with the sirloin steak. he told us to hurry up and choose something else as the kitchen had stopped taking orders at 5 to 8 (YES, 5 to 8! I checked my watch and it was now just 4 minutes past 8). Under some pressure and a heavy glare my wife chose from the limited meat options remaining. The man headed back to the kitchen.

Immeditaely after ordering we felt unhappy as none of our first choices were available and we no longer felt welcome in the pub. I went to the bar, cancelled the food order and paid for the drinks we'd had.

Whilst we were finishing our drinks, the man appeared again, and said that we couldn't cancel the order as he'd already started cooking. Unprompted, a woman we'd never met at the next table told him "tough!". I had to agree with her, telling him we no longer wanted to eat there.

The man wnt back to the kitchen. The mystery woman told us she could't believe how rude the Man had been, told us she no longer wanted to stay and left with her partner. We followed shortly after.

• Visited August 2012
1 Thank Tony B

Yorkshire
“Lovely Meal”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

We had a lovely meal here on the last night of our holiday.

The menu wasnt huge, but there was a good selection and there was something to suit us both. I am also lactose intolerant, and the staff were very helpful, advising me which meals were suitable for me.

Wonderful atmosphere, a real country pub. We will visit again if we are in the area.

• Visited February 2012
1 Thank hruth25
Sheffield
“Friendly Staff Excellent Food”
Reviewed July 7, 2012

Our walking group of 10 descended on this public house and we were given a warm friendly welcome. The food was excellent, served piping hot and thoroughly enjoyed by all. Wish we had found it earlier, we would certainly have revisited. The views from the outdoor seating area are stunning.

• Visited July 2012
Yorkshirewoman
“country pub”
Reviewed July 2, 2012

If this is the one in Wensley, it's one of the three best in the area, with friendly staff for whom nothing is too much trouble.

Visited June 2012
1 Thank Patricia F
York, United Kingdom
“good food, very friendly”
Reviewed June 27, 2012

We ate lunch as a family having walked from Leyburn Old Glebe. The south facing outdoor seating offers a panarama over the valley. The food was homemade using good quality local produce. Service was friendly and the landlord helpful in finding the best view of the local falls.

• Visited June 2012