“Great Little Restaurant”

Cuisines: Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations, Takeout
Reviewed May 28, 2013

Excellent Indian restaurant - nice ambience with helpful, friendly staff. Nice cosy but stylish decor in a historic old building on the market square. The food is excellent with a large and comprehensive menu. If you enjoy Indian food, I guarantee you will not be disappointed in this little gem.

There are newer reviews for Helmsley Spice

Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

We were staying near Helmsley and decided to eat Indian. When we arrived on Friday this Indian was empty which we thought was not very encouraging however on Sunday we decided to try it. It was packed and we thought we would have a long wait but it wasn't too bad. One of ordered chicken vindaloo and I ordered dhansak and they were both spectacular. It's a rare find where we live unfortunately to find somewhere that doesn't over cook the chicken or your dish comes like a chicken stew with virtually no heat or flavour. This place gets top marks from us. Thank you

Reviewed May 12, 2013

The most fantastic little Indian restaurant booked for 6 people arrived with 10 of us they couldn't do enough for us even thou it was busy they set us up a table instantly and we had the most wonderful meal with great service .
We had 2 of our Party from Leeds who have there pick of Indian restaurants where they live but even they said it was the best Indian they have had
Highly recommended and can't wait to go again

Reviewed May 6, 2013

Decided to book at Helmsley Spice because of good reviews, unfortunately we were very disappointed with our experience. Admittedly it was a bank holiday Saturday, but you would think they would have expected to be busy and have had sufficient staff on. We waited twenty minutes to be given menus and offered a drink and then we had to go and ask for them. The food, when it came was good but it was a very long wait. Cash only as well.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Eight of us from The Tarka Curry Club chose Helmsley Spice as our May restaurant to visit. Living about 12 miles away we hadn't heard anything about the restaurant so went with an open mind and no particular expectations. It is fair to say that we found a little gem ! The poppadums arrived with some lovely pickles including a very good chilli sauce. Starters arrived promptly and I was assured that my Reshmi Kebab was bigger than usual to reflect my status as chairman of the club (I just happened to mention that it might be a good idea!). Looking around the table I wished I could have tried everyone's as they all looked very appetising and were nicely presented. The main courses arrived and as with the starters looked very appealing and I wanted to try them all. The meals all looked very different to each other,which is always a good sign and they looked very fresh. My South Indian Garlic Chilli Lamb was outstanding and had whole roast garlic cloves in the sauce. Sundries all very nice. Not the cheapest in the world but for our £32 per head we had seven bottles of Cobra each. I'm ranking it number two out of the 8 or so we have visited so far. If you are wondering what's number one, try The Mumbai Lounge York. I'll definitely be going back to Helmsley Spice.

1  Thank apyman