“Fish Chips and Mushy Peas at their finest”
Review of Scotts of Helmsley

Scotts of Helmsley
Ranked #5 of 37 Restaurants in Helmsley
Cuisines: Seafood
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: A fabulous family friendly, award winning fish and chip cafe. Just voted Best Fish and Chip shop 2013. Either take away or eat in. With 80 covers there is plenty of room, coach parties welcome. We aim to provide the best fish and chips available from sustainable and local sources at a value price. Gluten free and veggie chip shop chips. Served with a smile. Our premises are not your usual fish and chip cafe and are a pleasurable and inspiring place to spend some time.
Reviewed August 6, 2014

Hats off to this terrific little chippy.!

Some of the best fish and chips we've ever tasted and probably the finest mushy peas you could ever eat! Accompanied by a bottomless, simply delicious, pot of tea.
They even managed to provide as a special request a much preferred beautiful piece of cod without batter (although their own batter is fantastic and so crisp all the way through.
We also noticed that for those people who do have a Gluten problem they can even offer a battered fish just for you.
The service was a little slow due to the special order but boy, was it all worth waiting for!

10 out 10 to Scotts.

2  Thank ArthurGough
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded August 10, 2014

Hello and thanks for the great comments,
'fish chips and mushy peas at their finest' - not much I can add to that.
All orders cooked fresh to order with a maximum 12 mins from order to serving.
The mushy peas are made fresh daily, steeped overnight with a couple of secret ingredients.
We do try and cater for all, so fish without batter and Gluten free batter available anytime.
Thanks again and come back soon.

There are newer reviews for Scotts of Helmsley

Reviewed August 6, 2014

My first time visit to Scott's in order to "check out" this popular Fish and Chip Cafe before our intended visit with some friends from the South of England.
I chose from the "Golden Years Menu" and ordered the Cod. It did take quite a while for my order to arrive but this did not bother me as my tea and very large bread bun was quickly brought. When my Cod arrived it was very nice, well cooked and the Chips where good. The Tartre Sauce was greasy and not to my liking. I,m not a fan of Mushy peas so I can't really say if they where good or not.
The ambience was not to my liking with rather loud Radio One type music. The seating was cramped so if we do return with out friends we will probably require two "booths" as my friend and I are both big chaps
It did take a very long time for my plate to be taken away and my Ice Cream was never brought. After 20 minutes I called it a day and went to the pay point to settle my bill. The girl did ask if everything was ok and I explained that I didn't receive my Ice Cream. She offered to re-seat me and bring the Ice Cream but I declined. There was no offer to deduct anything from my bill which would have been a nice gesture. All in all, an average experience.

1  Thank futuras

Hello and thank you for the review,
We're disappointed we did not live up to your expectations. all orders are cooked to order to ensure freshness and quality. We have a 12 minute target time from ordering to serving, which it seemed we achieved. The tartar sauce is freshly home made to our recipe and your comment is the first negative one we have received?
The booths downstairs are really only for two people, whereas the upstairs booths are much bigger and seat 4 comfortably. Plenty of other family tables for 4 or more.
As the downstairs restaurant is quite small, I'm not sure how you could have been left for 20 mins, but apologise and hope you do try us again.

Reviewed August 6, 2014

as above helpful staff outstanding sandwiches great choice of cheese.Good selection of gift items from local suppliers .

Hello and thanks for the review, but I believe you have us confused with somewhere else, possibly Hunters of Helmsley who do sell the things you mention.

Reviewed July 30, 2014

Delicious fish and chips not to be missed when visiting Helmsley... Food hot and fresh, great value for money.. Friendly welcome and service very good, even though we arrived just before closing time.. My husband left his glasses in your restaurant thank you Shane for posting them on to us.. They arrived the next day!! Thank you again ..

1  Thank Lyn C
JaneTony13, Owner at Scotts of Helmsley, responded to this reviewResponded August 3, 2014

Hello Lyn,
Thank you for your comments and delighted we did everything we aim to do.
Great quality, at value for money prices all served up with great service.
Come back soon.
Thanks again

Reviewed July 29, 2014 via mobile

After reading recent reviews before our visit, I have to say that we were a little disappointed. Whilst the food was okay, overall it wasn't exactly spectacular. The service was very friendly and quick enough, but the waitress did make quite a few mistakes in our order, and with the drinks.
As for the high chair, when we went there were two available but both of them had broken straps. They did have baby changing facilities however. And at the end of our meal the waitress brought a plate of sweets for the children.

Hi Julian,
Thanks for the review.
We're sorry you were disappointed and thought it was ok? I'm not sure what day you visited or who the waitress was, but it sounds like she was trying to do her best.
We do have 6 high chairs, so if only two were available, it must have been a busy day for kids!
The straps do break regularly and are regularly repaired!!
We hope you try us again.