“Wedding Day”

The Black Swan Hotel
Ranked #2 of 5 Hotels in Helmsley
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We got married at the Black Swan Hotel on 29th July and it was nothing less than perfect. The staff were attentive throughout the day without being intrusive, which was exactly as we wanted it. Special thanks to Matt who single handedly served all the guests and made sure everyone was topped up!! The food was amazing and very tasty - all our guests commented on how wonderful the place was and I'm sure they'l be back!! The hotel is old world charm and for those guests who have previously criticised the 'theadbare carpets'...you're in the wrong place - this adds to the charm of the place. It's all down to personal choice!
Thanks to Nicola and Matt who contributed to our fantastic day.

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank richgirl1976
There are newer reviews for The Black Swan Hotel

Reviewed September 21, 2011

I found a voucher on line that offered £10 off when spending £20 and thought that I would take my family out for afternoon tea to celebrate my Mum's birthday. The picture on the Internet had a very inviting picture with a white tablecloth and roaring fire in the background. We however were shown to the tearoom which had no tablecloths and no atmosphere at all. We were sat next to the counter and not far from the open door. We waited an unacceptably long time to be served. The afternoon tea was fine though my teapot was impossible to pour without spilling tea. The problem came with the small glasses containing a dessert of some kind (I can't recall what it was). Our tea spoons were just too large to fit in the glasses! We requested smaller spoons and were given 3 to share between 6 of us with no apology (I heard a waiter mutter that that was all he had!) Now at £16.50 per head I don't think it is unreasonable to have a spoon of one's own! We had to use them and wipe them with our napkins for the next person to use!! The attitude of the staff was disinterested in the extreme. I asked for a glass of water for my daughter and it didn't come. I would have expected some 'fuss' to be made of my Mum as I had specifically said that it was her birthday treat. There seemed to be a lot of staff but none that showed any interest in us. I mentioned my concerns when paying (£69.00) but have never heard back from them. Last year I took my Mum to Middlethorpe Hall for afternoon tea on the same occassion and we were made to feel like royalty! This experience left me feeling as if I'd wasted my money. I most certainly would not recommend it to anyone else. What a shame!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
7  Thank Helena F
Reviewed September 20, 2011

After arriving, and reaching our room, I wanted to clean up. No Soap. So I returned to reception and inquired if we should have bars of soap. I was told yes, and they would take care of it immediately. Well that did not happen. At the same time, I inquired if Wifi was available, and was told it was broken. Interesting response. Ok then we proceeded to the bar room, and there was no bartender. After 10 minutes, back to reception, I was told they would send the bartender in right away. That did not happen. So my wife sought out the manager, eventually he made the drinks, this encompassed 30 minutes. They could not find the bartender. Dinner was not astonishing, ok at best. A very sad experience, and one that we were looking forward to.

Room Tip: Check out other Inn's.
3  Thank John T
Reviewed September 20, 2011

Myself and my wife had a fantastic stay and we'd highly recommend anyone looking for a romatic night away to book here! We we're greated by very friendly staff and our room had all the romatic charm you'd expect from a 15th Century building. Our champagne on in our room was order prior to our arrival but they kindly did not add this to our bill on departure. We also had a meal in the restaurant which was superb and the cocktail before was expertly mixed by a very friendly barman.

If you get the opportunity of a child-free night you couldn't do better than to spend it here!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms on the roadside unless you like to hear tractors at 6am.
Reviewed September 15, 2011

Fantastic service, lovely food, nice, but very slightly "tired", room. We were on a deal from travel zoo which included afternoon tea and the taster menu which was very good value but rather indulgent. I would advise a starvation diet for a few days before your visit! The town and surrounding area we know well as we are relatively local - give it a try if you have never been. All in all, a lovely experience.

2  Thank David S
Reviewed September 11, 2011

We arrived at the The Black Swan and had booked a feature room. The reception we received was lovely and we arrived in our lovely room, with champagne and chocolates awaiting us. We were on a travelzoo deal. The breakfast and service was excellent, the afternoon tea delightful and the 6 course taster meal superb. The staff could not do enough for you and all in all it was a memorable stay. My thanks go to all the staff and I hope we will be back soon. We even had a" congratulations" card from all the staff as we had just got married. We were very mature newly weds but it was more than expected. Would thoroughly recommend this delightful hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 734suzannem
Reviewed September 9, 2011

This was our second stay at the Black Swan and on arrival everything seemed as nice as last time. The room was lovely and very clean, nice big comfy bed. Dinner however was very disappointing. Our pre-dinner free glass of sparkling wine never materialised .With only a choice of 4 main courses I went for the calves liver - my husband paid an extra £8 to have a small piece of breast of duck from the al a carte menu. The liver was very raw and so I didnt eat much of it. I tried to get the waiters attention but the dining room was busy and he was nowhere to be seen. They have adopted this silly procedure of having a young girl of boy assistant come to the table with your meals on a tray and then you have to wait for "your waiter for this evening' to come and lift the 2 plates on to your table. How daft is that!! and its embarassing. In some cases customers were waiting up to 5 minutes while their food got cold - its not exactly rocket-science to lift plates onto the table why dont they just let the younger trainees do it. I was just about to lift them off the tray myself when the waiter finally arrived. After dinner we were to have coffee in the lounge but after waiting 50 mins we gave up and went to bed. The coffee however was charged on the bill (£9) and when I pointed this out to the young lady at the desk she looked at me as if I was a complete liar! No apology, no interest to know what had happened. She reluctantly deducted from our bill. Considering one night D.B.B. for two cost us a weeks wages - I dont think I'll be staying again.

2  Thank Sheena B
Black_Swan_Hotel, Public Relations Manager at The Black Swan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2011

Thank you for your comments following your recent visit to the Black Swan Hotel.

I am very disappointed to read your comments regarding the style of service that you received at dinner in the restaurant. Due to a lack of space within the restaurant we are sadly not able to provide garadons for the waiting staff which is why we prefer to use butler service. This consists of two waiters serving at your table. On this occasion I am sorry to hear that the standards of service were not up to your expectations. This has been brought to the attention of the Restaurant Manager who is putting in place an action plan to ensure that this situation does not happen again. I am also sorry to read that you had to wait in the lounge for your coffee, again this is clearly not acceptable and has been brought to the attention of the Restaurant Manager who is investigating this.

Out of interest, did you bring this to the attention of any of the management team while you were staying as we do not seem to have a record of this in our management comment book? I am very sorry that you left the Black Swan feeling dissatisfied and we would have liked to address these issues with you prior to your departure.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
The White Swan Inn
The White Swan Inn
#1 of 3 in Pickering
The Talbot Hotel Malton

Been to The Black Swan Hotel? Share your experiences!