“Lovely Hotel in an excellent location. Some staff not delivering the best customer service.”

Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
North East
Reviewed January 19, 2010

I stayed at the Hotel with my husband for one night (Sunday) this included use of the Spa and evening meal.
Our room was spacious,comfortable, clean and well appointed overlooking the pool. There is no hospitality tray in your room but you can have one at no extra charge, at 9.30pm we asked for such but by 10.30pm no tray arrived and when we called reception a rather terse girl advised we would have to wait until 11pm when she could leave the desk to bring it as housekeeping had obviously forgotten....poor service and no apology for a hotel that sets its standards so high.
The spa is smaller than you expect and if using in the winter it can get a little crowded as the outdoor pool and hot tub are not very warm/inviting so most guests are using the indoor lounge and facilities. I guess in the summer the pool is popular but not in mid winter in Yorkshire even for us tough Northerners.
Food was excellent and breakfast which we took in our room was lovely. If offered water in the restaurant ask for tap water otherwise you will be brought over-priced bottled water. Wine list is comprehensive but very expensive.
The location is good for a weekend or exploring the area - Note however that many shops in Helmsley do not open on Mondays.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JCH124

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (292)
Plymouth, England
Reviewed December 7, 2009

Stayed here for wedding on the premises, from moment we arrived - early but our room was ready - nothing was too much trouble for the staff. Felt really pampered and relaxed the whole time.

Suite was well appointed, spacious and spotless, overlooked the swimming pool, quiet and peaceful. Did not have time to try the pool or spa but will be back for these some time soon.

The local area is pretty, and there are good walks, horseriding etc nearby. The staff make a real effort to make you feel comfortable.

The hotel has interesting touches, great art about the place. The pool and surrounding areas are lovely and even in December the pool is heated to 26 degrees.

We will definitely be back to experience the place at a more lesiurely place.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank marilyn99
Hartlepool
Reviewed November 27, 2009

I visited this hotel as part of a hen party for a spa break. I had the most wonderful experience. The spa is fantastic, the staff were wonderful and accommodating. It's clean and very relaxing. We had lunch there, which was very tasty (unanimously agreed).
The hotel itself is very clean, professionally run, and friendly. Our room was meticulously clean, with a Bang and Olufsen tv, a supply of cd's and dvd's, a turn down service and gorgeous complimentary toiletries. All our meals were provided which were of a very high standard. The hotel staff were very friendly, courteous and attended to our every whim. We had the most fantastic time - I've never stayed anywhere as nice as this before. The management should be very proud of it's staff - I can't stress how attentive they were, making our stay unforgettable.

• Stayed November 2009
1 Thank chrystaltips2
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 1, 2009

This is the second time we've been to the Feversham Arms. This time we booked a spa suite - a suite deal, you get the second night half price (of which more later).

The spa suites are positively Banyan Tree-esque. If you look out the window after sunset, you could be in a luxury hotel anywhere in the world. Like at Banyan Trees, some people just stay in their suites; I could see four doors along the entrance corridor to the suites and the teddies stayed resolutely outside two of them - one was ours.

A small quibble: at the Banyan Tree you get pillow menus and sheet menus and such like, at the Feversham Arms you get fabulous egyptian cotton sheets and down duvets, changed for hypoallergenic if you wish. But why does no hotel - that I've been to at any rate - have a bathroom menu? It would be just so great to get to the room and find a full sized cake of soap. I usually pack one, but I forgot. I ambled around Helmsley - great shopping, great sales - and forgot to buy one. At the Banyan Tree if you ask for a cake of soap it costs an arm and a leg...but a cake of Nivea or Camay or Imperial Leather costs far less that the L'Occitane and Verbena toiletries provided and it would be such a treat for absented minded travellers like me. And a potential world first.

Aeons ago as a wanna be writer I bluffed my way into a gig working for a magazine for business travellers. I wrote a few fulsome reviews and wondered why I always got exceptional service until I twigged... Most travel writers are paid by travel companies or hotels - only a handful are truly independent.
It was the one thing that really vexed us on our freebies - why did no hotel anywhere provide a decent bar of soap? That was nigh thirty years ago - nothing has changed. I remember the fraternity were too jaded and lazy to ask hard questions - they used to get me to ask for them...

I disgress. Back to the Feversham Arms. We arrived in a particularly stressed frame of mind - I'm having medical treatment, and Jim, my husband, frets, grumps and generally avoids the role of house husband I've so rudely placed upon him.

48 hours and two spa treatments later, the stress is gone. We are chilled and ready for what ever lies ahead. And we're planning our next trip, with friends this time.

As for the suite deal, I misread the blurb and thought we got the second night free. Ergo the bill was close to £1,000. But rarely have we spent £1,000 so willingly, and that doesn't include my 'therapeutic' shopping. (That's my story, and I'm sticking to it...)

Before we got to the bill I stood on the balcony and phoned many friends to gloat about what I though was our free second night.

The staff just get better and better. There were at least two large parties of young ladies when we were there, and the only very slight disturbance was a short giggling session at the spa. I don't know how the staff managed to juggle the mixed clientele, but they did.

I do hope when my friends book they are better than me at reading the small print. Otherwise the Feversham Arms may find itself with quite a few gloating customers who turn rapidly grumpy when the time comes to pay the bill.

Oh, tant pis, as an old friend would say. If the recession is truly ending, we have to spend, spend, spend...

Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
Home Counties
Reviewed November 1, 2009

This place has three excellent staff - they were Lisa (reception), Chris (porter) and Andrea (restaurant). They were helpful without being intrusive. They were keen, hardworking and extremely polite. They made you feel at ease.

The first impressions of this hotel is the best impression I have ever felt. It was awesome. It then went downhill.

The weaknesses:

We were booked to stay in one room but were given another with no explanation.

The heat in the room was unbelievable. Both radiators were switched off on arrival and the fan was on for the duration of our stay. The window was fastened (for security?) so you couldn't self-ventilate the room.

The bath was chipped in three places and the tilling/grouting was discoloured/cracked in isolated patches.

The teletext on the TV does not work and when a member of management looked at the problem he failed to communicate to me what he was going to do about it. This was after he promised to get back to me.

The hotel handbook has an inaccuracy with regard to where the local pharmacy is. The handbook said it was 6 miles away but the reality was a quarter of a mile away. Luckily I checked before I went to get some medicine.

The Verbena Spa "Heat Experience" seems to lack the one thing it needs - heat. The Sauna itself worked properly but the other two rooms did not. The signage outside the rooms is misleading and it contradicts the content of the website. Both state very different working temperatures.

You were only allowed to use the spa once for 3 hours during your stay. If you wanted to use it again there was a fee of £25 per person per session. A good way to make money i suppose.

The outside hot tub needs cleaning and the cover to the tub has mold on it.

The outdoor pool contains a lot of leaves.

The Restaurant delivers extra small portions of everything regardless. The cheese-board is cut millimetrically for some reason. The heat in the dinning area is stifling and when i asked i was told it was for the comfort of the older clients.

This hotel has the potential to be one of the country's best but some basics need to be addressed. I also feel that in these tough financial times value-for-money needs to be a higher priority. I paid nearly four hundred pounds for a two night stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
East Yorks
Reviewed September 28, 2009

My partner booked a night here for us both to celebrate my birthday. We wanted somewhere which had a spa & somewhere which offered fantastic food. We booked the 'Food Lovers' package which included a double room for one night, entry for both of us into the spa, cream tea on arrival, champagne cocktails, 6 course dinner & breakfast. When we checked in we were met by friendly, smiley staff & were told our room had been upgraded to a Pool Suite which started our break off lovely!! The room was airy & full of character with lovely touches in each room. We had a view over the pool & outside terrace & could see people in/out of the spa to the hot tub area! Later on in the day we went down to the Spa & enjoyed the different steam rooms/sauna/foot baths etc, once again the staff couldnt do enough. The relaxation room was perfect, me and my partner soon snuggled up in our dressing gowns & read some magazines. I had a treatment which was the best back/neck & shoulder massage I had ever had!!!! Well worth £30! I would certainly recommend people to stay at this hotel, at first the price seems high, but when you see the quality of the food, the level of service & the general atmosphere of this hotel it is worth every penny!!!!!!!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
SouthShields
Reviewed September 22, 2009

We stayed at the hotelas a gift from my work colleagues. The room we were given was so small there was nowhere to sit and had no air conditioning but a fan on the dressing table which took up even more room. We could not use the spa unless we paid even more money. We did use the outdoor pool and asked the waitress for a jug of sangria which was shown on the menu but was told it would take a day to make. Although the hotel is perfectly situated they need to up there game and not have lots of hidden charges. On the whole we were very dissapointed and could not recomend this hotel .

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Colin-Pauline
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
The Royal Oak Hotel
#1 of 4 in Helmsley
The Grand Hotel & Spa
Middlethorpe Hall & Spa

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!