First things first; qualification.
I always read these reviews and wonder if the person who wrote the review actually has a point of reference to rate this hotel against.
I've stayed in probably around 20 boutique and luxury hotels in the North of England and the Feversham arms is firmly at the bottom of my list.
As the name suggests; this is basically a pub that has revieved investment and they've used this to try to cash in on the boutique hotel craze.
Unfortunatley this hasn't worked out and you get the feeling that this place wants maximum return on the minimum investment which is a good policy for busisnes but in the consumer hospitality market; means you as the customer get small, cramped rooms, poor service and a particularily poor location...
Lets break this down:
It's an old boozer in the middle of a village so it's not got the attraction of scenery or peace and quiet as it's actually quite a busy little village.
The rooms are low ceilinged with locked down windows meaning your time in the room is not particularily pleasant for a country break.
When we stayed; the hot water wasn't working and the staff seemed to think this was perfectly acceptable as we could just get a cold shower!!
The manager is a conceited little man with small man syndrome who seems to think that being a manager in a 2nd rate, so -called boutique hotel is the social equivalent of a peerage.
In summary'; there are numerous other places that will deliver a better value short break, in better surroundings with better staff.
Dont fall for the fancy website and overly courteous reviews on here as I can't imagine anyone could compare this place to hotels such as the Samling, Seaham Hall, etc etc
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a picturesque market town by the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors, this elegant Hotel boasts superb dining, full spa facilities, a heated outdoor swimming pool and free Wi-Fi. Surrounded by glorious countryside, this wonderfully secluded retreat is a haven of laid-back luxury and indulgent relaxation. Famous for its welcoming hospitality, it blends the traditional comforts of its Victorian heritage with an irresistible boutique design. Beautiful, peaceful and thoroughly unique, one visit is simply not enough. Guests can choose from a range of 33 individually designed en-suite bedrooms and suites each with their own unique decor, style and character. Cosy and intimately homely, they all feature Egyptian cotton sheets, soft exquisite duck down duvets (or cotton blankets), free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, DVD player, luxurious Anne Semonin toiletries, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. There are accommodation options to suit all purposes, including Small and Classic Doubles, Junior and Deluxe Suites and, for the ultimate indulgence, Luxury Poolside and Spa Suites. Superb food plays a big part in life at Feversham. Here diners can enjoy classically inspired dishes from a menu that draws heavily from fresh local ingredients such as rich Yorkshire game and tasty North Sea fish. It's also home to one of the most talked about cheese trolleys in Yorkshire, traditional afternoon tea in their cosy fireside lounge and an impeccably well-stocked cellar. Throughout the warmer months, dishes can be served poolside on the terrace and gardens. The hotel's award-winning Verbena Spa offers an idyllic haven from the pressures of everyday life. Here guests can kick back, relax and immerse themselves in luxurious indulgence. They offer a range of treatments from manicures, facials and massages through to full spa day experiences. Revitalise and enjoy their famous heat experience with saunarium, aromatherapy room, salt vapour room, monsoon shower, ice cave, foot spa, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. The Hotel is situated in the North Yorkshire town of Helmsley just off the A170. Complimentary on-site parking is available. The city of York is just a 40 minute drive away and it offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. There is also a local train station at Thirsk, a 25 minute taxi ride away. For those flying in, Leeds Bradford International Airport is about an hour's drive from the Hotel. Beautifully located in the depths of the stunning North Yorkshire Moors the Hotel is the perfect place from which to explore this remarkable area. Yorkshire is renowned as a place of distinct yet diverse appeal, from the majestic Castle Howard to the Gothic seaside town of Whitby, the ruins of Rievaux and Bylands Abbey to luxury designer shopping, Michelin starred restaurants to quaint marketplace tea rooms, there is truly something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Orbitz, Cancelon, Hotel.de, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, LateRooms, Agoda, Priceline, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel And Verbena Spa
- Feversham Arms Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa Helmsley, England