We have visited the Fev several times over the years but our last visit was a bit on the disappointing side and led me to write a war and peace review of our visit. A little deflated at that visit we haven’t returned...
But after a getting an offer via email we decided to book and we are very glad we did as it does seem to be making an effort to get things right again and some of the little touches that had gone missing were back.
Staff were always friendly from the moment we arrived and we were speedily take to our room. 1 thing that still annoys me is the pre authorisation of a debit/credit card – I still don’t see why it’s needed.
Anyway the room was fantastic huge and comfortable and in the main well appointed as was the bathroom with its two sinks and Elemis toiletries . My only “complaint” about the room would be the Bang and Olufson TVs. They are now looking really dated, getting your DVD out of them is a feat of engineering and the cheap digital receiver looks pretty naff. Surely its time they were replaced in favour of something a bit more modern? Something that can eject a DVD at a touch of a button and has built in digital?
The best thing though was the room was lovely and quiet little if any noise from anywhere else except maybe the bottles being chucked in the bin once or twice but other than that just an ideal chill out.
The pool was freezing no surprise for a February but some attempt was being made to heat if you stood at the side you could feel the warm water being pumped in. The hot tub was very hot when we tried it but it had a yellow hose pipe in it which I guess was adding more heat to it.
Im no fan of Spa’s really but the Mrs defiantly is and she enjoyed going in there although it was bursting at the seams on the Sunday. She also enjoyed her massage treatment
Breakfast was fine busy but service OK food. Breakfast in the room still incurs a £10 charge. We didn’t eat in the restaurant in the evening and judging by the amount of Fev guests eating at the Feathers neither did many others. The menu at the Fev did look to offer more choice than in previous visits but nothing really grabbed me for the price they charge. Crispy pigs head just isn't for me.
There were a few minor issues – we had to chase up some pillows as they weren’t provided and this seems to happen every time we visit on checkout we had a mystery £7 charged to our bill which were apparently for 2 coffees. Neither of us drink coffee and rarely hot drinks and this isn’t the first time something we haven’t had has appeared on a fev bill – I think the way items are charged to a room needs a rethink.
Despite some very small issues though a very enjoyable stay
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a picturesque market town by the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors, this elegant Hotel boasts superb dining, full spa facilities, a heated outdoor swimming pool and free Wi-Fi. Surrounded by glorious countryside, this wonderfully secluded retreat is a haven of laid-back luxury and indulgent relaxation. Famous for its welcoming hospitality, it blends the traditional comforts of its Victorian heritage with an irresistible boutique design. Beautiful, peaceful and thoroughly unique, one visit is simply not enough. Guests can choose from a range of 33 individually designed en-suite bedrooms and suites each with their own unique decor, style and character. Cosy and intimately homely, they all feature Egyptian cotton sheets, soft exquisite duck down duvets (or cotton blankets), free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, DVD player, luxurious Anne Semonin toiletries, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. There are accommodation options to suit all purposes, including Small and Classic Doubles, Junior and Deluxe Suites and, for the ultimate indulgence, Luxury Poolside and Spa Suites. Superb food plays a big part in life at Feversham. Here diners can enjoy classically inspired dishes from a menu that draws heavily from fresh local ingredients such as rich Yorkshire game and tasty North Sea fish. It's also home to one of the most talked about cheese trolleys in Yorkshire, traditional afternoon tea in their cosy fireside lounge and an impeccably well-stocked cellar. Throughout the warmer months, dishes can be served poolside on the terrace and gardens. The hotel's award-winning Verbena Spa offers an idyllic haven from the pressures of everyday life. Here guests can kick back, relax and immerse themselves in luxurious indulgence. They offer a range of treatments from manicures, facials and massages through to full spa day experiences. Revitalise and enjoy their famous heat experience with saunarium, aromatherapy room, salt vapour room, monsoon shower, ice cave, foot spa, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. The Hotel is situated in the North Yorkshire town of Helmsley just off the A170. Complimentary on-site parking is available. The city of York is just a 40 minute drive away and it offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. There is also a local train station at Thirsk, a 25 minute taxi ride away. For those flying in, Leeds Bradford International Airport is about an hour's drive from the Hotel. Beautifully located in the depths of the stunning North Yorkshire Moors the Hotel is the perfect place from which to explore this remarkable area. Yorkshire is renowned as a place of distinct yet diverse appeal, from the majestic Castle Howard to the Gothic seaside town of Whitby, the ruins of Rievaux and Bylands Abbey to luxury designer shopping, Michelin starred restaurants to quaint marketplace tea rooms, there is truly something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity, Priceline, Hotwire, Cheap Tickets, Agoda and HotelQuickly so you can book your Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Feversham Arms Hotel And Verbena Spa
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa Helmsley, England