We have stayed at Feversham many times over the past 4 years and love the Hotel,Spa and total escape from life it brings. We were married 7 weeks ago and this was our special Valentines weekend away, early as my Husband is abroad with work this week.
We arrived and settled in and had a wonderful day on Saturday in the pool, spa and our room 19.
Dinner had been booked for 7pm,we had not eaten since breakfast and were very excited as we knew what to expect and how amazing the experience always had been.
On arriving into the bar at 6pm we ordered and carried our own drinks, normally this would never be allowed, a barman would come over and serve us, no nuts and olives arrived. The barman clarified we had a table booked for 7pm.We watched the restaurant staff have their briefing, and no one came to us with any menus, just before 7pm my Husband went and asked for menus, by 7.15pm our order still was not taken. I went to the restaurant where several members of staff were stood around, including the General Manager who we had observed for at least 30 minutes doing nothing but chatting to the other staff. Everyone then ran around and took our order for food. I told the Restaurant Manager 3 times what I would like for starter, with no smoked salmon. We were shown to a table in the entrance, nothing special, no one came and checked we were happy. The starter then arrived which was a plate full of SMOKED SALMON!!!The restaurant Manager came over and more or less said it was what I had asked for. At this point we left and the General Manager Charles took us for a chat, he started by saying in a very arrogant way that we should not speak to him like he was a school boy and in a nutshell he had no empathy for anything going wrong and was so rude and off hand I was astounded.
At this point we left and went to the Feathers in the village for dinner.
We called into the Black Swan to get the name of the owner of the Feversham to complain about Charles. As far as we were concerned that was the end of the matter.
On checkout the next day we asked to pay and were told again in a very rude manner that there was no bill, on check in £300 had been held,so I asked for a copy of the bill, and told them we expected to pay???We were told to pay nothing it had been sorted.
We were then ignored and no one fetched our car, stood outside in the cold, my Husband collected the keys and we took our luggage to our car ourselves, never happened before.
I right all this detail with no sense of pleasure, we have recommended Feversham to many friends and adore the place, but one thing has changed, The General Manager.
We also saw a big difference in the other senior staff, not as friendly as before, The Restaurant Manager used to be so chatty, he looked ill, stressed and could not even be bothered to look after us anymore. On check out again the senior staff were so rude,very odd.
When I read the bad revues on here Charles's manner in replying is rude and arrogant, not helpful, no empathy. We are the customers, I am still very shocked, we have lost a wonderful escape from our very busy business life at Feversham.
We all enjoy Feversham but it must be said that it is very expensive, but in return we expect perfection. You have no Michelin Stars, we are paying for a wonderful experience. The menus in the Restaurant including wines would be around £200-£250 per couple including an extra cheese course.
Your rooms also hit the top mark on price, but you created something special, and on that note, the rooms are getting very tired, something again I would have overlooked for the wonderful experience.Many people have commented on here.
We were in room 19 an upgrade to a suite, one of many rooms we have had with you, so we can comment with conviction. I will include photographs, but just to clarify, over an inch of dust on all pictures and the base of a large coffee table, grouting in the bathroom is terrible falling to bits, we found glass behind the toilet brush on the floor, the toilet brush was disgusting see the picture and the mattress and pillows were all heavily stained. The lampshades were splattered with dirt. When we moved the armchairs no hovering had been done under them. The blind in the bathroom was ripped to shreds.
We got married at Rudding Park Harrogate,a hotel that scores 100% on here with yourselves at 76%,as a very proficient business woman I would suggest you take a long hard good luck at the business,Rudding have a handyman touching up paint and details constantly, you have to in managing such an establishment.
Please,Please start listening to your guests, Feversham was never like this it has gone downhill just recently, I wonder why with all due respect a General Manger that has worked all over the world and in Michelin Star establishments is now in Helmsley, Charles please improve things, we do not want to loose such a treasure, the staff are not relaxed and I feel as an astute Manager that they are operating under a level of stress and fear, very sad.
Oh just one last thing, we were very shocked to see the General Manager not even wearing a tie on Saturday night, especially with the background he came with.
One more tip, do not serve carbonated water in the bedrooms in unsealed bottles, it just goes flat,just use still water, or invest in proper bottles from a supplier.
If you cancelled our bill on departure to buy our silence sadly it did not work, we do not create fuss to expect freebies, we expected to pay in full for the weekend, with the obvious exception of any meals we did not have.
Also anyone who reads this who knows the owner of the Feversham could you please ask Mr John Jameson to read this revue, we love your hotel and feel bereft not to return again.
We were assured by Charles Merchie that John Jameson would be ringing us tomorrow.
Michelle and Stephen Oxborrow Epworth.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Nestled in a picturesque market town by the beautiful North Yorkshire Moors, this elegant Hotel boasts superb dining, full spa facilities, a heated outdoor swimming pool and free Wi-Fi. Surrounded by glorious countryside, this wonderfully secluded retreat is a haven of laid-back luxury and indulgent relaxation. Famous for its welcoming hospitality, it blends the traditional comforts of its Victorian heritage with an irresistible boutique design. Beautiful, peaceful and thoroughly unique, one visit is simply not enough. Guests can choose from a range of 33 individually designed en-suite bedrooms and suites each with their own unique decor, style and character. Cosy and intimately homely, they all feature Egyptian cotton sheets, soft exquisite duck down duvets (or cotton blankets), free Wi-Fi access, flat-screen TV, DVD player, luxurious Anne Semonin toiletries, hairdryer and tea and coffee making facilities. There are accommodation options to suit all purposes, including Small and Classic Doubles, Junior and Deluxe Suites and, for the ultimate indulgence, Luxury Poolside and Spa Suites. Superb food plays a big part in life at Feversham. Here diners can enjoy classically inspired dishes from a menu that draws heavily from fresh local ingredients such as rich Yorkshire game and tasty North Sea fish. It's also home to one of the most talked about cheese trolleys in Yorkshire, traditional afternoon tea in their cosy fireside lounge and an impeccably well-stocked cellar. Throughout the warmer months, dishes can be served poolside on the terrace and gardens. The hotel's award-winning Verbena Spa offers an idyllic haven from the pressures of everyday life. Here guests can kick back, relax and immerse themselves in luxurious indulgence. They offer a range of treatments from manicures, facials and massages through to full spa day experiences. Revitalise and enjoy their famous heat experience with saunarium, aromatherapy room, salt vapour room, monsoon shower, ice cave, foot spa, outdoor heated pool and hot tub. The Hotel is situated in the North Yorkshire town of Helmsley just off the A170. Complimentary on-site parking is available. The city of York is just a 40 minute drive away and it offers excellent transport links to the rest of the country. There is also a local train station at Thirsk, a 25 minute taxi ride away. For those flying in, Leeds Bradford International Airport is about an hour's drive from the Hotel. Beautifully located in the depths of the stunning North Yorkshire Moors the Hotel is the perfect place from which to explore this remarkable area. Yorkshire is renowned as a place of distinct yet diverse appeal, from the majestic Castle Howard to the Gothic seaside town of Whitby, the ruins of Rievaux and Bylands Abbey to luxury designer shopping, Michelin starred restaurants to quaint marketplace tea rooms, there is truly something for everyone. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Priceline, Agoda, TripOnline SA, getaroom.com, Cheap Tickets, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel And Verbena Spa
- Feversham Arms Helmsley
- Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa Helmsley, England