“In Mufti..................”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Helmsley
Kettering, United Kingdom
“In Mufti..................”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Third visit..........so not yet put off. For this reason we didn't read any recent reviews, instead somewhat perversely thinking we'd just go as if we'd never been there before inasmuch as it might result in a more perspicacious commentary............
Reception by its very nature tends to exert a strong influence over subsequent events: ours was faultless. You'll have to wait a little for an opinion of the Spa, but I can attest to the comfort of the lounge and the pints of Black Sheep served forth therein.............I should have said that our room (17) was extremely comfortable in all respects, although I prefer to spend time elsewhere.....
Well, I am told that the Spa treatment left nothing to be desired.........I suppose it takes all sorts.....
And now for the restaurant.
If you're looking for Chinese cuisine you don't go to the Mysore Palace.......but if you want fish and chips then you go to the Magpie Cafe in Whitby. These categories are of course obvious.....but if you don't know what the style is, or think you might not like what's on offer, then all you have to do is ask beforehand.
So having enthusiastically consumed exactly what we were expecting by way of starters & mains, I asked for beer-steeped cheese for dessert (I'm diabetic..........that's my excuse). Moments later came those words that you just don't want to hear.......although seemingly due to climatic conditions.......it was 'off'....................might I like to try the cheeseboard instead?
So you can't win them all........well actually you can. I was presented with the most magnificent array of cheese I have ever seen- and I've seen a lot- .....all enthusiastically described by the man from Normandy, whose name I wish I could remember. I even let him inveigle me into a glass of red wine to accompany it.
This, however, took a little too long to arrive...........having discreetly mentioned the fact it was produced forthwith & without charge.................honour thereby being satisfied. Talking of wine, yes, you can pay a lot here for some very good vintages but you don't have to........there were some more modest offerings with an equally modest mark-up.
You're thinking I'm being uncritical................but the restaurant was far too dimly-lit. In my opinion.
But then we slept the sleep of the just.
Yet that same restaurant was the following morning a place of sunshine and copious breakfastry.
So time to go.......wish there'd been a blizzard so we didn't have to.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (288)
London, England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We came here for a long weekend as a family and were very impressed with the customer service and facilities. Upon arrival we were upgraded.Shortly afterwards we were called by reception to say they would like to change our room again to a better one because they were concerned that we might be disturbed by a dinner party below. We were impressed by their genuine concern and consideration.
Food at breakfast and dinner were of high quality, freshness and choice.
The hotel was beautifully decorated and clean
Staff were all very helpful and friendly, particulary with our needs for our young child.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Market Rasen, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed in a Deluxe Suite which was well equiped and had everything you could wish for. We slept well in the comfy bed. We recieved a £45 allowance per person on the evening meal in the restaurant, which was superb. Portions are small, but well presented and tasty. We didn't use the SPA, but had a good look. The staff were well trained, very consitent and to perfection. The attention to details was superb. Overall, a super night and well worth a 2nd visit in the not so long future. Thank you

Harrogate
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We booked into the Feversham to celebrate our 10th wedding anniversary. We had the package which included a Pool Side Suite, a 75 minute Elemis treatment per person in the spa and a £45 allowance per person on the evening meal in the restaurant.
We had visited before 5 years previously and decided to return. Unfortunately this will be our last visit as the experience was not up to a 4 star hotel and as the title to this review hints at, on the scale of value for money, the room, spa and meal fell well short!
So, where to begin? I must say that the staff were all excellent, very attentive and polite and we have no negative feedback whatsoever.
We will start with the poolside suite. For a circa £250 per eve rate and 4 star, I would expect the room to be perfect. Unfortunately the weather was blowing a cold gale and most of it was coming in via the patio doors, which had gaps 3-4 mm wide and some points. we had to close the curtains and push various pillows and cushions stop the drafts.
I would - in 2013 - expect wide screen TV screens in the lounge and the bedroom areas and not old CRT TV with remotes that barely worked...change the batteries!....The Bathroom area was not entirely clean with grout missing from the tiles and a rubber squeegee provided to take the plug out as the mechanism had broken. The window above the bed had some type of strange cardboard half on and off which was not pleasant to look at. Normally these are small annoyances that you can disregard...and we did....however the day progresses..

We took advantage of our Elemis spa package...Not a lot to say here. The staff again were attentive and polite, however both my wife and I were given (clean) old robes to change into. The robes were frayed and old...again, the wrong side of value and 4 star!

Onto the evening meal in the restaurant. We were looking forward to this as it was one of our favourite memories from 5 years ago....the menu looked good, although it looked as though 'Masterchef' had waxed lyrical with the descriptions!
We both ordered the Seared scallops, cauliflower, pickled shallots & Serrano ham to start and very tasty they were as well.....just give us more please! it looked like the Chef had actually trimmed the small scallops into squares! WHY? you needed a microscope to see the Ham...
For mains my Wife ordered the Veal and I ordered the Sea Bass. When it arrived we got nervous giggles as, again, the portions were very small. I asked if we were getting any veg and potatoes and the look I received could have turned me to stone. Don't get us wrong, the food was really tasty, its just that we really quite fancied nipping across to one of the pubs afterwards for real portions. Again the wrong side of the value scale comes to our mind...the Sea Bass was £32 for a square cut 3 inch wide. It all screamed of trying too hard and of the 1980's Nouveau French etc...These are just our opinions, and I suppose we are more Gastro Pub type people as well to be fair.
The one redeeming feature was that we really enjoyed the Breakfast in the morning (we were starving!) after a decent sleep on a good bed....

All in all a good hotel that just needs to watch the details to keep charging the money they are asking.....there are a lot more, and better hotels out there now.
We have decided that we would not return again. Its just not worth the money!

5 Thank The-Bimblers
Peyzac-le-Moustier, France
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

We booked our stay in March 2012 to make sure we could get 3 twin bedded rooms for our group of six ladies celebrating a hen weekend. The hotel came highly recommended by several friends of the group but unfortunately it did not live up to my expectation.
Luckily we arrived earlier than anticipated at 2.15pm and were then told that our first spa treatments were at 2.30, not 3.30 as booked - they had not bothered to email us to tell us the change in timing. There were apologies of course but this does not change things. The spa was overall a reasonably good experience but I have had better. It is quite small but it is a hotel with a spa facility, not a spa with hotel facilities.
The price was quoted (in 2012) at £140 to include a 3 course dinner or the 5 course taster menu - when we sat down to eat we were told that we had £45 each towards the meal. I found the staff pretentious and a bit stuffy, not particularly friendly, going through the motions rather than being themselves. The food was not good and definitely overpriced. I thought nouvelle cuisine had gone out with the ark but apparently not. It was a good job there was plenty of bread because there wasn't much else. It was well presented but the flavour was not there - nothing to savour. The belly pork was nearly all uncooked fat, very little meat. The chocolate pudding was not sure what it was supposed to be. One of our group had the velouté as a starter - warm soup in a cold bowl - not impressive. Another had the scallops, one of which was too tough to cut - these were replaced for her. Warm rose wine did not help matters either. Two of the desserts received praise from two of our group.
A rattling window in the bedroom. A hot tap with no water. Dreadful UHT milk with the tea/coffee in the bedrooms and NO biscuits! (Take your own!) They will supply fresh milk if you ask.
The beds were comfortable. The rooms slightly small, the bathrooms were well stocked but the robes were terrible - old and not cotton.
They changed the towels and robes during the evening when we were eating - this is an unbelievable waste of energy resources since we had only been there since early afternoon.
The breakfast buffet was very good, the cooked breakfast was mediocre and luke warm.
I went to the manager with my complaints and we received apologies and a small refund.
I would like to thank the porter who was very courteous, helpful and friendly - thank you Ian.
I personally would not stay here again, there was absolutely nothing special about the place and it does not draw me back.

Room Tip: Room 7 reasonable size, good bathroom. Room 3 large bedroom, very small bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank lemanoir10
Letchworth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2013

Brought a stay by my beautiful sisters fro my 50th. Staff very mixed in their response to you. Main reception not exactly welcoming, officious and not exactly warm.
However Fay in the Verbena spa reception made our day as so attentive and seeking really hard to ensure all guests were happy. Very smiley and a real Yorkshire welcome.

Suite very nicely laid out and lovely touches to receive birthday card and chocolate, however it would have been better to have a television that actually had a signal! Thus not able to use TV or radio facility in the room.

Breakfast somewhat overcooked and raw! Bacon looked as though under lights for a long time (overcooked), eggs came raw - not so good and although eggs replaced when this was pointed out the breakfast was completed before they returned with a properly cooked egg. Thus a little disappointing for a hotel that had such a good reputation.

Spa hot tub pump not functioning properly and thus not as clean as one would expect - would have been better to close off till corrected.

Spa Fay made it a stay to remember and thank you.

Room Tip: Rooms on poolside are quieter.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jo W
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 25, 2013

We stayed for 1 night for my birthday and it was the nicest hotel I have been to. I had lovely spa treatments. The staff are so friendly and helpful. I really will be going back soon. It is within a 3 min walk to Helmsley centre and there's plenty of parking. The outdoor pool and hot tub are lovely. Breakfast was delicious. I can't fault it.

• Stayed March 2013
Also consider these accommodations in or near Helmsley
The Black Swan Hotel
Raithwaite Estate
Raithwaite Estate
#3 of 20 in Whitby
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,943 reviews

Been to Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa? Share your experiences!