“Relaxing Break”

The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Carperby
Reviewed December 20, 2012

Stayed here for one night in mid December, & thouroughly enjoyed our stay. We called in early afternoon just for a drink & decided to stay, from the moment we arrived we were made to feel welcome by both staff & locals. We sat in front of the roaring fire sampling some of the well kept local ales & was joined by the biggest black cat ever! The food was of good quality & big portions aswell, rooms clean & well appointed. Overall a Great Stay & will be booking again when we need to just sit & relax for the weekend.

Room Tip: We stayed in room 8 at the front of the Hotel with good views over wensleydale
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I decided to have a couple of days away last week and chose the Wheatsheaf at Carperby. It was exactly as expected - peaceful location, excellent food, great staff, welcoming locals and the biggest black cat I have ever seen!
Our room (7) was a four poster at the front of the hotel with great views, it was over the bar but we did not hear anything from below.
Great food from a small menu - I definitely recommend the trout, delicious.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 15, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend here for my birthday - walking in the Yorkshire Dales. Positive points include the food - the breakfasts were truly excellent and the dinner meals were also satisfactory. The hotel also contains a small but comfortably furnished lounge which we made full use of in planning our walks. Furthermore, I have no reason to say that the staff were not polite and attentive.

Our room, however, was a nightmare. It was directly above the bar, so was very noisy. The double bed had approximately 15-18 inches of space to the wall on each side. There was hardly enough space in the room to dress or move about without knocking into each other. The room was certainly not the cleanest I've ever seen - In fact I would describe it as "grubby", with a very visible cobweb in the corner on the dido rail being resident for the entire weekend. The en-suite shower room was so small that one had to be a contortionist to use the WC successfully and the shower cubicle had been shoe-horned into one end with the panels not allowing access to the soap dish which was fitted outside the shower structure. The tiles, some of which were broken, had apparantly been fitted by a very unimpressive DIY enthusiast, there being copious amounts of cauking daubed around the shower base and fungus growing on the lower layers of tiles. The electric towel rail was inoperative, which meant that we had to use fresh towels each day, but when we returned from our Saturday walk, we found the (wet) towels had simply been folded and put on our bed. I had to take them downstairs to be changed. There was not enough room in the en-suite for the wash-hand basin, so it had been fitted in the bedroom (partially obstructing entry to the shower room). The shaving light above the basin was also not working.The cheap wardrobe was completely inadequate in size, having been chosen to fit the room, rather than any guests' requirements. Quite frankly, if this were my hotel, I would be thouroughly ashamed of myself for allowing guests to even use this room, let alone taking £60 per night for it.

My thoughts were openly expressed to the hotel on departure, and in fairness the owner apologised by text after we had left, saying the cleaner was new and the shower room was due for re-furbishment the following week. However, we'll never get our special weekend back - so we will not be returning.

Room Tip: Avoid room 3 - it's directly above the noisy bar!
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Seenoff
CBL01, Manager at The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale, responded to this reviewResponded October 17, 2012

Thank you for you feedback and please be assured we do listen and react to all of our reviews. we have 13 rooms here at the Wheatsheaf and it is fair to say that room 3 is the smallest. As explained the bathroom is being renovated at this very minute and all the old tiles and surrounds are being replaced. During our quiet season we will be converting room 3 into a single occupancy room. Room 3 will also be withdrawn from our booking sites where there is no oppertunity to explain that this room is above the public bar.

Reviewed October 8, 2012

Fantastic location, hotel, food, service, rooms. Very friendly owners and attentive staff. Delicious home cooked food. Great value for money.Very peaceful location right in the heart of the beautiful Yorkshire Dales

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed October 3, 2012

This lovely old building is where "James Herriot" spent his honeymoon in 1941, no doubt it has been updated since then, but it is really due for a bit more refurbishment. Lovely friendly staff took us to our room and explained everything. Twin room not huge, but clean and pleasant, with view across the Dales out of the front window. Everything very clean, but the shower room really could do with a complete refit, looks like it has been tarted up a few times since a refit in the 70s or 80s, and had no extractor fan, so steamed up easily. Tea/coffee tray in the room - no biscuits! Due to the bad weather reports, we were actually the only people staying that night. As it was raining and cold, we decided to eat on site, and when we went down to eat, again we were the only people in the bar, apart from the large and magnificent hotel cat. Good meal, more chain pub quality than haute cuisine, but a tad expensive for a pub, the steak (very nice, but not huge) was £14.95. Veg obviously frozen, desserts bought in, nice quality but nothing out of the ordinary. I think this hotel is in a bit of catch-22 situation, if they refurbed and upped their game with food they could charge more, but maybe at present they don't get enough business to spend the money on the building, and they are a bit out of town, so I guess don't get a lot of passing meal and drinks trade except in the summer.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Juliav50
Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed here for two nights and very comfortable and a reasonable price, though the rooms are a bit dated and needs a refurbishment. Meals in the bar extremely good and once again very reasonably priced. The hotel is in a very good area for investigating the Dales and I would certainly recommend it

Room Tip: Try for a room at the back of the hotel
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Archiemeades
Reviewed September 17, 2012

Hmmm, well we stayed in the four poster room and it was clean and comfortable, a bit on the small side or maybe the four poster bed made the room seem small. The bathroom has a shower cubical (no bath, prefer show anyway) and was clean. The staff where very welcoming and friendly. We had an evening meal, I had gammon steak with the usual and my wife had battered cod. My meal was OK, I’ve had better for the price, but I enjoyed it. My wife’s fish was most defiantly frozen (you can always tell by the shape), she eat it, but expensive for frozen fish. There were three ales on and I had one of each, they were all very nice. My wife had the wine and tells me that it was also very good. By about 9 pm we found that we were the only ones left in the bar apart from a couple of locals. At about 10 pm the bar keeper told us the bar was closing and that we would have to take our drinks to our room or sit in the residents lounge, so we reluctantly went to our room.
The next morning we had the full english breakfast, it was hot and there was plenty but it was just about average, frozen processed catering sausages don’t impress me.
This place is set in beautiful peaceful countryside and is ideal for walkers. Be aware that this is a one horse town and this is the only eating/drinking establishment unless you’re happy to drive.
In conclusion I feel that The Wheatsheaf Inn is batting out of its league. Closing the bar at 10 when you’re guests are on holiday is not acceptable, even if most of them are walkers and are up at the crack of dawn. Considering where this place is located why is the food from the cash and carry and not fresh, locally, sourced. Don’t let me put you off, it is a nice place to visit.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Johnjaykay
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carperby
Stone House Hotel
Simonstone Hall Country House Hotel
Marton Arms Hotel
Marton Arms Hotel
#1 of 1 in Ingleton

Been to The Wheatsheaf in Wensleydale? Share your experiences!