“Fabulous Christmas Day Meal” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Alma Inn Restaurant

The Alma Inn Restaurant
Ranked #5 of 61 Restaurants in Colne
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Fabulous Christmas Day Meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 25, 2012

Decided to go out this Christmas Day for our dinner and we were definitely not disappointed. We have visited this restaurant quite a few times before and have never had a bad meal so prebooked in October. Arrived and were seated immediately to Bucks Fizz and canapés (lovely), followed by a four course meal. We had such a good variation to choose from on every course, from soup to lobster, traditional turkey to beef wellington and then the deserts (beautiful) followed by coffee and Christmas cake. Thoroughly enjoyed the meal with a great atmosphere, would definitely go out for Christmas dinner after this experience.

2 Thank karen l

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Bradford, United Kingdom
“Most enjoyable visit even at busy time”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2012

Booking made for 12.00 on 17 December 2012 for party of 5. Expected it to be busy which turned out to be the case. 2 people arrived early (11.45), and made most welcome, and sat in very pleasant & comfortable lounge area with coffee. Other 3 had underestimated distance & arrived late (12.25), but no pressure from very friendly staff. Comprehensive menu at reasonable prices, and food was excellent for all. Other reviewers have commented unfavourably about young age profile of staff, and they were all young, but our experience was of friendly attention and very good service. There was a large private function and many other occupied tables, but the atmosphere was relaxed, and the food arrived within a perfectly acceptable period. The experience exceeded our expectations.

1 Thank r0bap
Colne, United Kingdom
“Don't expect to be able to sleep or customer service”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 16, 2012

Felt like we were an inconvenience as there was a party booked in the function room so loads of tables had been crammed in, the website suggests a relaxed atmosphere with fires to sit by, for a whole place there was one available so if you don't get there early there is no chance.

Other writers mention the age of the staff, the only person who knew what she was about was on the bar side, don't ask any of the kids as they will confer with one another and muddle their way to the correct answer.

Due to the over busy and noisy downstairs we retired to our room at 9:30pm, attempted to have a bath but the hot water was tepid at best. Ended up watching television against a background of the DJ in the conservatory. We are not unreasonable, I know nowadays events go on until past midnight so we figured we would have no peace until around this time. If only, the DJ said his goodbyes and then Christmas music started, instrumental tunes one after another. I resorted to emailing from my room asking when it would be over, at 1:20am I called the reception asking the same question, 'I'll turn it down now sir' and as if by magic the music stopped! Now, we are not fuddy duddy fun prevention officers but this really was not good. I know they won't have such events every week but it would be worth checking, though other commentators suggest they may not be entirely honest with you. Upon leaving, I was sent to the car to prevent my commenting, the mrs said she would have said something had the lady on reception bothered to ask her about her stay and not tried to make her feel stupid about payment and the site suggesting payment had been taken at time of booking.

There are some positives, the evening meal was very nice and there was a magician on the premises who made visits to tables with card tricks which was fun. The room was very nice, clean and tasteful in its decor.

Breakfast promised to be as good as the evening meal, the mrs had stomach aches in the afternoon (perhaps unrelated).

I still await my reply to my email, though I doubt the give much of a toss having taken £79 (perhaps twice), failing to give any sort of thanks or customer service at checking out. Thinking will vote with my feet, just don't go if you want a peaceful weekend at a busy period I guess but somethings like the customer service can't be fixed overnight unless the magician has a magic wand!

Lancashire
“Disappointing family get together!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2012

This is my second review for this restaurant, my first singing the praises of the good food and dog friendly welcome. I have also always found the service very good and so decided to book a table to celebrate my husband's 60th birthday with all the family mid August. I have waited a few weeks before writing this because I felt too emotional about our visit to be fair and objective! I will start by saying that the food as usual was very good but there was some confusion with our order and one of our party had to wait sometime for his desert - in fact it took so long the rest of the party had almost finished their deserts. When we have eaten there in the past, we have never had to vacate our table however apparently when it is very busy and the conservatory is being used as a function room, you are asked to move to a lounge/bar area. I booked this meal months in advance and no one advised me of this nor did they advise me that there was a wedding reception in the function room which is the attached conservatory normally part of the restaurant. The consequence of all this was that we were expected to rush our deserts and coffees and move to an area where there was insufficient seating for all of our party. We were also sat near to the door leading into the conservatory and the noise from the DJ and music made it difficult for us to chat.
I complained to the manager of the evening and found him most unhelpful and disinterested. He was not very honest with us and told us that he would sit us in a quieter area were we could chat and when I complained again he still insisted it was a quieter area - I suggested one of us must have an hearing problem! He offered us a round of free drinks to compensate. Unfortunately a round of drinks could not compensate for our family get together being spoiled! Opportunities for us to have all the children and grandchildren together don't happen often enough and are very special but it was also my husband's 60th birthday treat and I was and still am upset that it was spoiled due to lack of communication and poor customer service. It will be sometime if ever before we book a meal there again!
(The rating is based on this visit)

• Visited August 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Skipton, United Kingdom
“Top food, great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2012

I've called into the Alma Inn a few times during the summer months for a relaxing pint on the way home from work - the calm before the storm of kids bed time!!! It's beautifully situated, with lovely views all around, bliss on a sunny summer's evening.
My wife, 2 children (8 and 5) and I went for a meal on a stormy winter's evening in early November. It was early and therefore quiet. We were shown into the main dininig room which is wood panelled, with a lovely roaring fire. Overall a relaxed, attractive and welcoming enviroment.
There is plenty to choose from on the main menu, plus seasonal specials which included meat and potatoe pie and game casserole with dumplings. Mains go from £9 to £18, though most round the £10 to £12 mark. The children's menu is the best we've seen around these parts.
Service was excellent - attentive without being overbearing and a good knowledge of the menu.
The children had home made fish fingers and proper chips, and a superb cottage pie - I'm hoping they mug put this on the main menu soon, it was the best I've tasted - I suppose I could order a double portion off the kids menu!
My wife had the meat and potato pie which was full of succulent beef and chunks of potato in a tasty short rust pastry. I has the sirloin steak - a great 10oz hunk of local, well bred and exceedingly tasty beef which had been cooked well, served with home made chips, onion rings, a lovely mix of mushrooms and what I found you be a rather odd "tomato fondue" which was a tomato stuffed with onions, garlic, other bits of tomato and herbs. The balance of the flavours wasn't great, just not to my taste, only a minor thing. Overall the food was fab, about the best we've had around this area. Great service, a lovely setting and a warm and cosy feel inside all mean that wilde will definitely return.

• Visited November 2012