“Absolutely Fabulous!”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Reviewed March 14, 2014

I reserved this hotel and then read the reviews, most of which were negative! Yes, it could be better signposted and yes it is a long drive up to the hotel, but what do you expect when you book such a venue. There was plenty of parking and I managed to park my hire car right outside. First impression was "wow" with the exterior. A few of the negative reviews said that the staff were unhelpful - this is certainly not he case. They were efficient, Professional but also friendly and welcoming. Another negative remark was the amount of stars. Yes, there were quite a few but again when you book such a venue, you should expect this! My bedroom was well appointed with a safe, iron and ironing board, tea and coffee facilities, flat screen Tv and an electric fan. My bathroom was lovely with a modern shower. The free tea and coffee around the hotel as also most welcoming. The restaurant staff were extremely friendly and the service excellent with food to match. Breakfast was a buffet (another negative review!) the choice was wonderful. I didn't need lunch! I can certainly recommend this hotel and I as only sorry that I only had 1 night there. I visit Enfield every year visiting family and I will certainly be trying to reserve a room.on my next visit.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Val G
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2014

Dear Val G,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.
I'm delighted to here you had such a wonderful stay with us, I also recently also received your email and have passed your kind words on to our team!

Thank you again for your time and we hope to see you again in the near future.

kind regards

The Theobalds Team

Reviewed March 4, 2014

Had heard nothing but good reports about this hotel prior to our visit.
We had opted to stay in the building just a short walk from the main hotel (only because the rooms looked nicer). However, none of the heating in our room worked. The room was freezing. We rang reception and the guy on duty told us that the maintenance man had left for the night and that he would fix it in the morning. This never happened. We did get a second electric heater brought to our room to try and warm us up. (There was already one heater present which implies that they probably knew the heating wasn't working before we even turned up!). My partner wanted to complain further but we decided against it as our stay was only for a few days.
Breakfast was lovely, there was the usual; fried breakfast, toast, cereal, juice, tea, coffee etc. However, the same couldn't be said for the expensive room service which turned out to be a Tesco's refrigerated pizza smothered in cheese!
Anyway, despite the bad stuff, the staff were friendly and you are within close proximity to Cheshunt train station which takes you straight into London (about a £10 taxi ride). We got our room bed and breakfast for £19 per night which you cannot fault even without proper heating!
There was also 2 showers in the bathroom! Not entirely necessary but it did make getting ready on a morning slightly easier!

Room Tip: Book in the main hotel not the neighboring block!
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 5, 2014

Dear Dentals13,

I am writing in regards to your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am sorry to hear that your stay with us wasn't satisfactory . I have passed all of your comments on to the maintenance team regarding your broken heating and they are currently now under refurbishment. I am pleased however to hear that the staff were accommodating and offered you further assistance.

I am disappointed to hear that our room service wasn't to your liking, but I can guarantee that all of our pizzas are made here on site and not brought in from Tesco’s or any other supermarket.
I am thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the bathroom facilities and that you found our staff to be friendly and our location to the railway useful.

I thank you again for your review and we hope to see you again in the near future.

The Theobalds Team

Reviewed March 1, 2014

With great transport links being just off M25 and Cheshunt railway station a very short taxi ride away you can easily access London if you do not want to drive in. The staff were simply brilliant in all areas. The room we had was in the main house overlooking the garden and beyond and apart from the ladybirds that checked in the room with us it was clean, comfortable . Breakfast was once again up to the usual Devere standard with such wide choice and waiting on staff were very welcoming. There is an amount of complimentary drinks machines around the hotel with extra touches like milkshakes, biscuits, apples, nuts. We did have a meal in the bar area which my wife and i both enjoyed. We stayed here for 2 days and was a great base to go into London which we did and watched a show in the evening and caught the train back the taxi fare was 8.50p and the day rider to use on train and underground all day was 12.50p. Thank you to all the staff we had brilliant time and excellent value for money.

Room Tip: we had room 107 simply brilliant.

Dear Nicholson_11,

I would to thank you for your lovely review regarding your stay recently at Theobalds park!
I’m delighted to hear you enjoyed your stay so much with us here and I have passed on your kind words to all of our team.
I’m glad to hear our location was a perfect base for your weekend away and you got to enjoy the short commute into the city.

I hope to see you both again in the near future.

Kind regards The Theobalds Team

Reviewed February 25, 2014

The room I was placed in was filthy. There were cobwebs everywhere including on top of the tv. There were stains on the bedding and dead flies on the window seal. The room was boiling hot and the heater couldn't be turned off. Ended up being moved to a single room from the double room booked because of the heating issues. The new room had a fly buzzing around. It was ridiculously tiny. In short it is highly unlikely I would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2014
Jodie W, Front Office Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded March 2, 2014

Dear Abike,

Thank you for your recent review following your stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am so sorry to hear that you had such a disappointing stay here with us and that you would class us the “worst place ever”.

If you would like to contact me on jwhite2@deverevenues.co.uk I would like to discuss your review further.

I look forward to hearing from you

Reviewed February 23, 2014

We stayed here a couple of years ago and had an average stay - but this time, what a difference! The rooms were decorated to a high spec, the food in the restaurant was excellent and the facilities were superb. There were two weddings but it was so quiet and we had a lovely stay. The staff were attentive and helpful.

Highly recommended.

Dear VJC68,

Thank you for your review regarding your recent stay here at Theobalds Park.

I am thrilled to hear you found your stay with us so enjoyable and that you noticed the changes in décor and service. Here at Theobalds we pride ourselves on customer service and customer satisfaction, I am glad to hear that on this occasion we have raised the bar on previous occasions for yourselves.

I have passed on your kind words to the rest of the team and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

With kind regards

Reviewed February 17, 2014

nice decor in the rooms, good customer service from staff and plenty of breakfast options. really liked the location and overall quality of the hotel. was very pleasantly surprised considering the price!

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Dear VJC68,

Thank you for your kind words following your recent stay here with at Theobalds.

I am delighted to hear that you received good customer service and that the location of our hotel was accommodating for you.

I have passed your kind words onto the rest of our team and we look forward to seeing you again maybe in the near future,

Front Of House Manager

Reviewed February 16, 2014

We got married here last year and as well as having the wedding of our dreams we also decided to return for our 1st anniversary, The building is amazing, a grand historic house among beautiful garden surroundings with picturesque views from the bedrooms. The room is very comfortable, clean and equipped with anything you need. The dinner we had in the restaurant was just delicious! and the staff here where incredibly accommodating and friendly, coming here a second time we were remembered and made to feel very special. Many thanks to Theobalds!

1  Thank Spud_DAnnunzio

Dear Spud _DAnnunzio,

Thank you for your review regarding your stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted to here you had an awesome returning anniversary here with us. I have passed your kind words on to our team and they are glad they were able to make your first anniversary just as special as your wedding day here last year.

Customer service and customer love is something we thrive ourselves on here at Theobalds and it is a pleasure to here we reached the mark for returning customers like yourselves.

I hope we see you again in the near future.

Front of House Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Travelodge Cheshunt
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
Waltham Abbey Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!