“First Rate Break”

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Worthing, United Kingdom
“First Rate Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

I boked a four day break here so that we could use it as a base to travel into London for the theatres and also to look around the area . We were a little apprehensive as some of the reviews seemed to paint a rather conerning picture of what we might find...........Well from the moment we arrived at the reception to the moment we left we realised we had made an excellent choice in deciding to stay here !
The staff were always helpful and proffesional at all times , they were smartly dressed and always had a smile which must be very difficult when you concider how rude some guests can be at times. The hotel was spotless , our room (505)was very spacious and the bed was large and comfortable . There was a safe in the room and tea and coffee making facilities . Mind you ,there are stations in diffeent areas around the hotel where you help yourself to different types of tea , coffee or just milk , also you have fruit and biscuits that are freely available as well.
The choice at breakfast is as good as my wife and I have seen anywhere and th quality is first class. We ate in the restaraunt on two evenings and it was very reasonably priced , if you decided to have the buffet you had a wonderful choice whatever your taste.
All in all a most pleasing experiance , thank you De Veres for making our stay so enjoyable.

Room Tip: Room 505 is on the ground floor and very comfortable.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank phillsteeples
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Dear Phillsteeples

Thank you so very much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. It was so refreshing to read and I am delighted to learn that you enjoyed your brief break with us and that my team were able to look after you so well.

It is so pleasing that every aspect of your stay was so enjoyable from the checkin at reception, to your room, breakfast and dinner. I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind comments with all concerned. Thank you so much.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (157)
Truro, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night and found the rooms very comfortable with good facilities. I can't comment on the food as didn't choose breakfast. Would definitely stay again when next in the area... It was great!

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Tourist238

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theoalds Park.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and recieved such great value for money.

Thank you for taking the time to highlight your thoughts and i hope we will see you again very soon.

Tadcaster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2013

What a lovely big mansion, our room was lovely but the bathroom seemed just that little bit small. Beautiful gardens, and with all De Vere's, great breakfast. Perfectly clean throughout. We left the car at the hotel and called a cab to take us to the local train station and hopped on a train to London for the day, cab back to the hotel and it was all very relaxed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TLCJ1961
Dear TLCJ1961

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay in particular the large Mansion room, fab location for trips into London and the ' DeVere breakfast. I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind comments with the teams concerned. Thank you.

I do hope we will have the pleasure of your company again in the near future.

Lancashire, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Theobalds Park Hotel, DeVere Venue was a huge disappointment to me recently. I should have been worried instantly when I saw the large security notice in the bedroom telling you to look after your valuables. As a previous person has stated the bedroom windows are left unlocked from the inside even after you have secured the windows and left the room. I also found the lock to the room wouldn't click into any locked position so felt vulnerable sleeping in the room alone. I did use the safety chain and kept the light on all night as my room was along the main thoroughfare to the bedrooms. I booked three rooms early for my family on the same booking and would presume that the hotel would place us reasonably close together but on arrival I was on a different floor to the other two rooms. The staff did find another room closer to them but still it was on a different corridor to the others.
On another note, please light up the car park areas, entrance driveway and outside walkways, that could help eliminate any security issues you may be having.

Room Tip: Book The Travelodge close by
Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
KevinBreeze, Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for leaving a recent review on trip advisor following your recent stay with us here @ Theobalds Park. I am so very sorry to read of the problems you encountered during you stay. It is our priority to rectify our mistakes and shortfalls and endeavour to restore your confidence in our Hotel

Kind Regards

Charles Erleigh

Travelers are raving about these Cheshunt hotels

Lancaster, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

I thought this would be a really nice hotel, given that it is a De Vere and how lovely it looked on the pictures. Normally I don’t pay attention to bad reviews as I think it can’t be that bad, how wrong was I!
From the minute we checked in I was disappointed, rude female receptionist, everywhere was dirty and seemed like it needed a good clean, bins overflowing, dated decor the list went on. However the worst was checking into our room to discover that the toilet hadn’t been flushed from the previous occupant, it wasn’t pretty! After complaining we were offered complimentary drinks, I thought that was nice and accepted. We requested a bottle of red wine or should I say vinegar, it was the worst red wine ever! I don’t know why they bothered trying to apologise.

I was even more upset about the large notice displayed on the dressing table about the security warning and after checking the windows these had been left unlocked. The windows are large sash type and as we were on the ground floor, these could have easily been opened from the outside and numerous people could have climbed through. What concerned us more was we locked these after discovering these were open went out and we presume the cleaner had opened the window and had forgotten to lock them again. Within our party we booked 3 rooms, got allocated all ground floor rooms and the same had happened to all of us. You work out where the security problem may be!

When we went out we decided to leave everything in our bags (valuables were in the safe) zip the bags and leave everything so we could see if anyone had touched anything. We were right, someone had been in our bags and had left the zip halfway open!

The grounds were poorly lit, you couldn’t see sign posts in the dark. Main driveway didn’t have all the lights working to mark out where the road was, large pot holes everywhere and little warning on speed bumps.

There are steps down to the hotel and with a pram there is not enough signage for the disabled ramp so used the steps at first until in the day light we spotted the ramp. We also had to push the pram through the smokers to get into the hotel. Not very nice for my 20 week old niece!

I would suggest Kevin, rather than spending your time replying to all these reviews that you may want to use your time more efficiently and tackle some of the issues reported.

Needless to say we will be going back to the Travelodge in Cheshunt, this was far better than the De Vere.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank LCY1234
Basildon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2013

Stayed last minute with hubby just to get away for the weekend, nice room, clean the only problem was the shower which was really stiff to turn on and off, which resulted in me turning on all the wrong taps, the wrong way and burning my feet because the bath taps came on! Breakfast lovely, great selection and variety and noticed that everything got replenished really quickly. The refreshment bars dotted around were brilliant, great choice of teas and coffee, hot chocolate, apples, biscuits, juice and water. The only slight annoyance was a big religious conference going on where parents brought their children, so we had lots of children running in and out and through the bar area and to the refreshment bar, which wasn't conducive to a quiet lunch, that said the children were all quite well behaved, but it was a nuisance, in fact a couple near to us did have to move to another quieter area as they couldn't hear themselves talking!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank stmoritz1960
Dear Stmoritz1960

Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief break and that my team were able to look after you so well. I have shared your kind words with all concerned.

I am sorry that some of the peace and quiet was impacted by an in house group and I assure you that every step was taken to minimize this for all concerned.

I look forward to welcoming you back again in the near future

Ashby de la Zouch, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 4, 2013

I have stayed at this large hotel on many occasions over the past few years and I have now started to see a steady decline in staff attitude and sleeping quality. Over the past 12 months I have seen Tesco take over the hotel using it for their courses, it is now a business centre and not so much a hotel. The conference members are very demanding and have the hotel staff running here, there and everywhere for the slightest thing so the ordinary fee paying guest has to wait and sometimes wait and wait and wait. You can see the frustration in the reception, bar and most members of the staff who sometimes are only young and just setting out in the catering world.
The rooms are starting to look tired and in need of a little bit of TLC, but are generally clean and tidy with tea and coffee facilities available along with hairdryer and sample size shampoo and body wash in the bathroom. Why in this day and age is it that De Vere Theobalds Park can only offer 5 channels on their TV system when a small bed and breakfast not far away can offer all the free view channel s and if you are lucky the odd sports channel.
Near the bar there is tea and coffee facilities available 24hrs a day.
I am at a loss to why hotels do not make their food and beverages more competitively priced to keep hotel guests on site rather than let them take taxis into town so they can go to the pub or Burger King!
The hotel is set in some wonderful grounds not bad when you think how close you are to the M25 and Enfield.
The hotel is not bad value if you can pick it up on a deal

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Dear Lowena7

Thank you for the review you posted recently following your brief stay with us.I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay. You are indeed correct in that our location just off the M25 and close to North London is ideal.
We do cater from number of different types of business at Theobalds Park including conferences, training, leisure guests and those attending a wedding or social function and do assure you that every customer is as important to us as the next.

We do constantly review our food and beverage pricing structure with those of other facilities in the area and do endeavour to pitch them at a comparible rate if not indeed cheaper, and I am sorry that you were dissppointed with such.

Thank you again kindly for your kind comments and i hope we can be of service to you again in the near future.

Kevin
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
Hanbury Manor Marriott Hotel & Country Club
Premier Inn London Enfield Hotel
West Lodge Park Hotel

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!