“Breakfast” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Enfield, England, United Kingdom
“Breakfast”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 4, 2012

This was our first trip to the hotel. We had an excellent breakfast, lots to choose from and every container was full to the brim. Everyone was efficient and attentive and everything was perfect for our visit. Five stars for everyone!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, December 11, 2012
Dear Jane E

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted recently following your brief stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and in particular our breakfast offering.Breakfast is probably the most important meal provided by a Hotel in that it is often the lasting impression and I am so pleased that we were able to provide you with such a fine ofering.

I have taken your kind comments to my team and they are equally pleased to read such. Thank you.

I hope you will join us again soon to enjoy yet another fine breakfast with us

Kevin

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
Leeds, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 27, 2012

Good hotel, nice rooms and good facilities. Very nice view from the rooms. Nice comfortable bed but the room was a bit cold and the heating was not working properly but didnt bother me since I stayed only for one night.
Had to take tube and train from London King Cross and a taxi to get there !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank aria_o_
Dear aria_o_

Thank you so much for the kind review you posted recently following your brief stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found my hotel to be comfortable for your need.
I am sorry that you experienced some difficulty with the heating in your room but pleased that you were not inconvenienced too much by this.
I have taken the liberty of sharing your kind comments with the team here who are equally pleased. Thank you and I sincerely hope you will return to us in the near future.

Kevin
Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Had one night stop as we had a day trip to London planned and we were getting the overground tube train from the local station. Beautiful rooms, friendly staff! Amazing breakfast! Only downside was it was a bit of a trek to our room on the posh side of the hotel!

• Stayed December 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, November 23, 2012
Dear Keen-rambler

Thank you kindly for the wonderfulreview you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and found our location such a find for travel into London. I have also passed you kind comments concerning my team and our 'wonderful ' breakfast onto all concerned.Thank you so much.

I do sincerely hope we can be of service to you again on your next trip to London

london
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stay here relatively frequently for work reasons.
Rooms are ok - but try to get room service and you've got a problem.
Second stay in a row, no response when I phone the restaurant.
Both times I've had to go the restaurant to order my room service.
Tom - the restaurant manager - declared when I pointed out that I had to order my room service in person "as you can see we're quite busy".
Think it sums up the management attitude to service in this hotel...

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank MikeShSussex
Dear MikeShSussex

Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am deeply concerned to learn of the problems you encountered with your request for room service during your stay.

I am very sorry for the failure of my team to service this request correctly and for the apparent nonchalent responce you recieved upon reporting such . I do seek to assure you that this is a matter I take very seriously indeed and have addressed such with all concerned.

We take great pride in our excellent reputation in providing a first class service here at Theobalds Park and I am truly sorry that on this occasion we have allowed our high standards to slip.

i do hope you will not allow this incident to deter you from returning to us again when we shall ensure all is as it should be.

Kevin Breeze

Travelers are raving about these Cheshunt hotels

Sitges, Spain
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2012

There are some very good things about this place, and unfortunately some others that leave me to rate it as poor. Let's begin with the good things;
The staff are very nice, welcoming and hard working, perhaps too hardworking...something I will return to later. The Mansion House is a lovely building and a perfect venue for a wedding, which was the reason for our trip. £60 per night inclusive of breakfast was great value especially when considering the large size of the rooms, decor and quality of bathroom, fittings, shower pressure etc. We especially liked the extra space provided around the basin, something that is often missing even in 5 star hotels. The grounds are lovely, it's a very peaceful location and a nice retreat for a weekend. The several free expresso coffee bars (energy stations) was a very nice touch and quite rare to see.
OK so why a poor rating. On arrival the pleasant greeting was followed by a "did you book under a different name?" and an embarassing silence as they tried to locate our booking. Ironic that the week previously when I spoke to reservations to extend our stay, they had no problem locating my reservation (with credit card details). So what sort of reservation and billing system does this place have that its not transparent. Same goes for checking out, with notably inaccurate billing, perhaps because its a conference venue more used to "all inclusive" per person charges?
You could conclude that the energy stations are really there for the conference venue attendees rather than hotel guests. Ernst & Young even has its own lounge there. That leads to the next problem which is that staffing at the hotel is largely defined by what Tescos, E&Y and other corporations are prepared to spend on away days for their staff. Consequently the hotel seemed lacking in staff, those there worked long hours, and could be forgiven for not supporting the DeVere group mantra of British hospitality.
This was obvious on our first trip to breakfast on Saturday morning. While breakfast doesn't finish until 11am on Saturday, we arrived at 9.45am to be greeted by an employee, not to take our drinks order as I expected, but to tell us that they were setting up for lunch and we were banished to the corner of the restaurant where there where a couple of free tables. The drinks order was satisfied half way through our breakfast.
Back in the good sized bedrooms we were missing a chest of drawers. Enough hanging space and a large mirror to admire yourself in, but nowhere to place the smaller garments which remained in the opened suitcase on the floor. The mattress shoul have been replaced ears ago. My wife and I sunk into the middle of the large bed.
At any wedding venue, the ladies especially will require good lighting around a mirror for applying makeup. The lighting in the bathroom is insufficient for this. The large mirror in the bedroom doesn't have any local lighting.
The first night we ate in the restaurant, which looked very pleasant from the outside. It wasn't particularly busy yet the service was painfully slow and the food was frankly awful. It left us hoping the hotel was hiring in a chef for the wedding the following day.
While event planning, set up and presentation were next to perfect making this a great venue for a wedding, the kitchen was a complete let down. Surpassed by the previous night's disaster, service was even slower with insufficient staff waiting tables, serving what could at best be described as school dinners.
If this venue is serious about being a wedding location, fire the kitchen, especially the chef. You should also hire more staff to serve the wedding breakfast, commensurate with what you're charging the wedding party!
Alas for me the kitchen lets this place down, and warrants a poor rating. This could so easily be a very good with a little more effort and a focus on being a wedding venue, rather than what seems to be an add on to the conference venue business.
As a hotel, well it's very cheap, so don't expect too much. But agan, it could warrant a very good with a little more effort.

Room Tip: Stay in the Mansion House rather than the newer building reserved for conference parties.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Steve B
Dear Stevejnb

Thank you kindly for the review you posted recently following your brief stay with us here at Theobalds Park.

I sincerely thank you for your constuctive feedback on both the positives and negatives you experienced during your stay.

I assure you that I welcome such feedback as it is often only on the back of such that we are able to review our offering and take steps to improve such.

I am pleased that you enjoyed the hotel,the location and found my team to be friendly and accommodating. I am concerned that certain aspects of your stay were not to your expectations and am sorry for the dissappointment this caused. I have taken you comments on board and have reviewed such with all my teams concerned.

I do hope that with the remedial action taken you will return to us in the near future when we shall endeavour to ensure all is as it should be.

Scunthorpe, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

On the whole the hotel was a pleasant comfortable stay, the room was spacious and had lovely views out onto the gardens. The staff, in particular the main receptionist was very helpful and friendly and went out of her way to provide instructions to the nearest train station. The breakfast was very good, lots of choice and freshly cooked. The main disappointment for us was the room service, after a long day in London my partner and I returned to our room just after 10pm and ordered two meals from the menu, totaling £20. They arrived in small white cardboard cups with wooden cutlery, which is nowhere near the high standards I would expect from a De Veres Hotel.

• Stayed November 2012
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this review, November 20, 2012
Dear Natalie D

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay particularly the large room with views over the gardens, fine breakfast and friendly staff. I am however concerned to learn of your dissatisfaction with your room service order.

We do offer a Deli Style Room service menu which is presented in a Deli Style packaging. It is standard to offer our guests a choice of this Deli Style or a more traditional plated offering at the point of order. It would appear from your comments that this choice was not made available to you. I am sorry for this lapse and for the obvious dissappointment this caused.

I do hope that this oversight did not mar your stay with us and that you will return to us in the not too distant future when we shall endeavour to ensure all is as it should be.

Chelmsford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

We were married at Theobald's in October and I stayed at the hotel the night before the wedding as well as the wedding night. The night before, I stayed in the newer part of the hotel. Yes it was a trek from reception as it felt my room was at the furthest part of the hotel but the room itself was large and enabled myself and my bridesmaids to get ready on the morning of the wedding out of the way of the hustle and bustle. The room was clean, bed was comfy and overall was happy. The wedding night, we stayed in the manor house which i felt was better. Room overlooked the grounds and felt more in line with the country hotel feel that we wanted. My now husband stayed at the Marriott the night before and said that Theobalds Park was much better. We would stay again but would prefer to stay in the manor house.

Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Dear Mumof2UK

Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted recently following your wedding here at Theoblads Park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your day and stay with us.

It is so pleasing to read such kind words and to learn that all the efforts have been worthwhile. Thank you. I have taken the liberty of passing your comments onto my team who are equally pleased.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of your and you new partner's company again in the near future.

Kevin Breeze
Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Cheshunt Marriott Hotel
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
De Vere Hunton Park
De Vere Hunton Park
#1 of 1 in Hunton Bridge

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!