“Good venue hotel”

De Vere Theobalds Estate
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Cheshunt
Reviewed May 22, 2012

Stayed as part of an organised conference. The facilities were fine although it is not somewhere I would stay for pleasure.

My room wasn't in the main building, but was in a newly refurbished/built stable-esque area. The room was very nice and was only a short walk to the conference centre.

The choice of food and service was adequate, although I gave up in my quest of getting a cup of tea from the waitress at breakfast.

Overall a comfortable place for a short visit.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 29, 2012

Dear AJC1234

Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am pleased that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and found the venue good for your conference needs.

I am concerned to learn of the problmes you encountered with the beverage service at breakfast and do seek to assure you that this is a matter I take very seriously and have instigated immediate corrective action. I am sorry for the dissappointment this caused.

I do hope that this lapse did not mar your enjoyment of my Hotel and that I may have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future

There are newer reviews for De Vere Theobalds Estate

Reviewed May 20, 2012

stayed at this hotel for my partners daughters wedding. lots of rooms booked as quite an extended family, asked for rooms close together. when all booked in were scattered far and wide round hotel.we did manage to get rooms next to other daughter and the brides room. after arriving a few of us went to the temples bar, great bar, tv on just NO bar staff. loads of other staff milling around, just milling around. free tea and coffee available.i got the picture we were just the weekend fillers when hotel is quiet as TESCO and EARNST & YOUNG seem to have permanent suites, offices in reception and lots of people seemed to be coming and going in rapid succession. we were able to observe this whilst still waiting for a barman!!!!!!! but having when we did get served the food and drink was ok. the nightime barman had great trouble knowing what price to charge for same two drinks each time we went to the bar, so gave up and went to bed. have slept in better beds. opened window for some air and top sash dropped right down, bottom sash screwed in place so couldnt shut window. bathroom not really up to a great standard, just functional, havent a clue how many stars this hotel is supposed to be, but i would not rate it above 3 stars. it is handy for motorways, but the approach road is not too good, plenty of large pot holes and as the saying goes 1st impressions are lasting. would not stay again

Room Tip: try the marriot
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 24, 2012

Dear Stimmbo

Thank you kindly for the review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park. I am pleased that overall you had a good stay and enjoyed the wedding event.

I have read with concern your comments surrounding the service you received in our Bar area. Please be assured that this is a matter itake very seriously indeed as we pride ourselves on our excellent reputation in providing a quality service throughout the hotel. I have atken this matter up with all concerned and am very sorry for the disappointment this caused.

I would also wish to assure you that we do have an ongoing maintenance pregramme with regards our entracne road and indeed remedial repairs are presently underway. You are indeed correct that this does form the initial impression.

I do sincerely hope that these issues did not mar you enjoymeny of my hotel and that with the remedial actions I have taken you will return to us in the near future.

Reviewed May 17, 2012

Stayed as part of a conference - room was clean but dark, not possible to read with curtains drawn. Bathroom sink, the plug looked old and rusty - as did the metalwork in the public area gents.

Main gripe was on the morning of first day the handwash in the gents had run out - despite several of us reporting this, it had not been replaced by the end of the second day when we left.

Food was good, but trying to get a cup of tea/ coffee from waitress at breakfast very difficult. She ignored us until we stopped her - she said she'd come back, and when she eventually did, only served the person who had stopped her and waltzed off with out asking the others on the table !

Final gripe - when came to pay bill there was a £2.50 charge for credit card usage - which was not explained when they swiped the card on arriving, plus a £1 donation to charity - both could be removed (£2.50 only if paid by other means) - but cheeky to do that without any prior notification.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 20, 2012

Dear ChubbyCheshire

Thank you kindly for the review you posted recently following your recent conference with us here at Theobalds Park.

I am pleased that overall you enjoyed your stay with us but have noted with concern several points you have raised.

I am very sorry for the lack of responce regarding the replenishment of the soap in our public washrooms. This is far from acceptable and I do assure you that this has been addressed with the team concerned.

I note with equal concern the problem you encountered with beverage service at breakfast. I am truly sorry for this lapse and for the disappointment this caused. I have taken your comments to my team at breakfast and assure you that steps have been taken to ensure this is corrected.

We do charge a nominal fee for use of credit cards at check out. This policy is advertised at reception and guests notified of such when presenting their payment method. I am truly sorry if this was not clearly explained to you at this time. We aim to be fully transparent with regards the charges levied by the banks to process these payments and give our customers a choice of payment routes in order to avoid such.

I do hope that the points you have raised did not mar your stay and that you will return to us in the near future.

Reviewed May 13, 2012

I have just spent a night in this hotel with my wife and we had a fantastic time. The staff were all very polite and always served us quickly. We ate in the restaraunt which had a very varied menu and the food was great. We were served quickly and all the staff spoke very good English.

We stayed in room 629 which was very big and very clean with a massive double bed which was extremely comfortable.

This is the 4th time that we have stayed here and have never experienced the problems that other reviewers have so I am quite suprised by some of the comments on here.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Marvic140908
Thank you kindly for the wonderful review you posted following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds park. I am delighted that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and that my team were able to look after you so well.

I have taken the liberty of sharing your commetns with all concerned. Thank you.

I do sincerely hope that we will have the pleasure of your company again in the not too distant future.

Reviewed May 9, 2012

De Vere venues are very different to De Vere hotels.
At the time of booking this hotel on late rooms I wasn't made aware it was a venue.
This is at best a 3* property with no facilities as per in De Vere hotels. You need to walk a long way from the car park with no lifts and steep stairs.
The hotel post code is difficult to fine with sat nav and the green signs are not very clear.
Unlike all De Vere & Village hotels this does not have a swimming pool, sauna or steam room but basic gym.

• Stayed: May 2012
2  Thank Iain S
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2012

Dear Iain S

Thank you kindly for the review you posted on tripadvisor following yuor recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.
I am deeply concerned to read your comments as indeed it would appear that we have failed to meet your expectations.
It is true that Theobalds Park is part of the Devere Venues brand which is different from the Devere Hotels brand and does operate both in the Conference/Training and Meeting market and also the leisure market. Our 55 acres of grounds, two restuarants, 3 bars, unique treehouse and easy access to M25 or Central London do provide Theobalds Park with an ideal base for the leisure traveller.
I am so sorry that on this occasion we have failed to meet your expectation but do sincerely hope you will give us the opportunity to restore your faith again in the near future.

Reviewed May 1, 2012

We had a fantastic stay at the Theobalds Park Hotel. We stayed in the new part of the hotel .The rooms were well designed, roomy and very comfortable. The staff were friendly , efficient, and happy to help. (we had asked for a double and twin room - when we arrived we had 2 doubles, but after contacting the front desk this was dealt with immediately!) Breakfast was very good in a very nice self service restaurant, and another nice touch is the 'free' coffee stations around the hotel that you can help yourself to coffee, tea, hot chocolate etc and biscuits!! My son left his phone charger, I contacted them and they returned it by post free of charge! Theobalds Park deserve a really good mention as they aim to please!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family

Dear bobbieblue
Thank you so much for the wonderful review you posted on tripadvisor following your recent stay with us here at Theobalds Park.
I am delighted that you and your family enjoyed such a fantastic stay with us and that my team were able to look after you so well.
I have passed your kind comments onto all concerned who are equally pleased to receive such.
Thank you kindly again and I sincerely hope we can be of further service to you in the not too distant future.

Reviewed April 30, 2012

For the price £19 - we didn't really expect much considering location. I have to say though that it by far exceeded our expectations. Great room (definitely did not feel that because of the price we paid we were given an inferior room as a previous reviewer had posted - in fact we were asked if we had a preference for where our room was).
Room was really clean and well presented, we found no cause to complain. We had a meal in the restaurant and fully expected small portions at a hefty price but found the food was hot, delicious and freshly made at a price much cheaper than a local restaurant back home. The guy who served us at the table was both attentive and sincere, we had no issues with staff and did not experience any of the poor service that previous reviewers had witnessed (not to say that it does not happen, just that we found the staff we encountered during our stay were pleased to help). It would be fair to say that the only real problem we encountered during our stay was other guests. So to the people who stayed in room 621 on Sunday 29th April - what on earth possessed you to begin banging loudly on the wall to the room next door at 12.45am? Did you think it was funny, are you mad or just plain stupid?
It's true to say we really enjoyed our stay at Theobalds Park bar the idiots in room 621!!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
KevinBreeze, General Manager at De Vere Theobalds Estate, responded to this reviewResponded May 10, 2012

Dear Pinchycat

I have read with delight the wonderful review you posted recently on Tripadvisor. Thank you so much. It is so pleasing to learn that you enjoyed your brief stay with us and that my team were able to look after you so well.

We do pride ourselves on our excellent reputation in providing a quality environment for guests at a price that is real value for money and your comments underline how important this is for us. Thank you.

I am concerned to learn of the disturbance you suffered from some inconsiderate guests in a room next door and am very sorry that your night's sleep was disrupted in such a way. We do have a full night team on duty who had they been made aware of such would have resolved this for you immediately.

I am pleased that you did not allow this isolated incident to mar your stay with us and I sincerely hope you will return to us in the near future.

Kevin Breeze

Also consider these accommodations in or near Cheshunt
Travelodge Cheshunt
#2 of 2 in Waltham Abbey
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
Down Hall Hotel & Spa
#1 of 2 in Hatfield Heath

Been to De Vere Theobalds Estate? Share your experiences!