“Lovely food been twice !”

The Chequers Hotel Maresfield
Ranked #1 of 2 Restaurants in Maresfield
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 13, 2013

This was a Marco Pierre White restaurant when we visited twice in early 2013 and the food has been excellent every time. I know that some people have given bad reviews but I think you cannot please some people in life. Nice roaring log fire, lovely young staff, I think he might have sold it now as we received a postcard saying it had been refurbished. Can't wait to go back. We also stayed a night when moving house to nearby, and the breakfast next day was very good indeed. If there is one thing, is that you are crammed in to the dining room and very easy to overhear, there is an awkward silence due to this - try and eat out of it if you can

There are newer reviews for The Chequers Hotel Maresfield

Reviewed December 6, 2013 via mobile

Visited this venue for the first time since it's renovation. Stunning is probably the best word to use to describe the decor, well done Green King! However, I worry for the ambience as I was about as far from the bar, towards the rear of the building as I could be and all I could hear was the rowdy noise from the bar. Hopefully this will be resolved and diners will be able to hear themselves think. That said, want to take my partner and see what she thinks. Good luck with trying to resolve the noise issue but very well done on the look of the place.... Beautiful !!

1  Thank Eatmefeedme
Reviewed November 3, 2013

We were once regulars through the many owners and changes over the years at this old Inn.
Now owned by Greene King it has finally sunk to the lowest ebb.
The food is cheap and nasty frozen stuff, the staff are unfriendly and inefficient and the place is nearly empty most nights,
I wonder why?
They have plans to expand the bar and food areas. Who do they intend to fill them with?
The locals have no interest and it will now only attract the pound stretchers who sip half a larger probably Fosters, with their 4.99 frozen meal.

2  Thank bedwetter
Reviewed October 29, 2013

Late booking for a birthday treat on a deal from Late Rooms. Huge room with gorgeous decor and furnishings. Massive bed and tv - bathroom luxurious. Couldn't have been better. Exceptional food in the Wheeler's restaurant made a brilliant special night out.

Reviewed October 8, 2013

Was not warned that late check in would not be available despite informing the hotel it was our wedding night. Got there at half twelve and was met by a very grumpy night manager who was not welcoming what so ever. Breakfast was lack lustre and at no point were we asked if we enjoyed our stay. Emailed to express my disappointment and never got a reply.

3  Thank Yo_Bedford