“Always very good”

Ranked #1 of 4 Restaurants in Shincliffe
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed June 16, 2013

My girlfriend and I moved to the area 2 years ago. After spotting this place whilst coming to view our house, we decided to give it a try. We loved it immediately and still go there regularly, including most family occasions. The food is fantastic and the selection of real ales and wine is also very good

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Had sunday lunch for Father's Day - wonderful.
I would recommend this inn for quality food and excellent professional polite service. An intimate ,warm inviting atmosphere with great ambience.
There are very few places in this area that I would recommend with such a high standard. I have always found the food delicious and have frequented many times - never having been disappointed. Christmas lunch is also delicious and booking again this year. Bookings filling up already.

Reviewed June 10, 2013

After reading some good reviews, we decided to detour off the A1M to try this place out in passing. We arrived late (3.45), with no booking, but they were very welcoming. The menu was diverse, but not extensive, which I always take as a good point - better to do a few things well than lots badly. As it was Sunday lunch, we both went for the roast beef, though I had my doubts that we would be getting whatever was left. We were assured without asking that they were serving this into the evening, so there was plenty left!

This was one of the best examples I have ever tasted, and the banoffee cheesecake was a delight as well. Service was friendly and informal, and very efficient, especially as they were settling bills from a couple of large parties, all of whom seemed very satisfied.

I will definitely go there again, lunchtime or evening, as the quality is excellent and prices reasonable. I can heartily recommend it.

1  Thank Tom C
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Shincliffe is a 3G hotspot so it's a bit of a relief when you see that there is wifi at the Seven Stars. When you choose the wifi, a login screen appears which clearly states that it is free for residents and that anyone ordering food can have two hours of free wifi. However, when I asked for the password, I was told it was for residents only. I find this quite shabby. The vegetarian main, a vegetable gratin was incredibly bland considering it had blue cheese in it. That said, the goat's cheese bread and butter pudding was delicious.

2  Thank hexham140579
Reviewed May 17, 2013

The Seven Stars Inn in Shincliffe on the outskirts of Durham has varied over the years, from very good to very average. At the moment, it seems to be quite variable but never reaches a 5 star eatery. It tries to be a bit of gastropub, but its not, it glorified pub food and this was reinforced by a very recent visit there. We booked a table and had a mid-week evening meal. The atmosphere in the main dining room is pleasant and relaxed and the service friendly and informed. Some specials were not available and the restaurant was far from full...very odd! In fact, later we found that most of the puddings were not available either and only things that were probably in the freezer were available. We all chose starters, and these were fine, but missing a bit of care and actually, a bit small. I had a smoked mackerel paté starter which was two very small 'quinnells' of pate and just two v ordinary pieces of not very french stick. It was all pretty unimaginative and the token gesture feathers of endive with the tiniest hint of dressing left me wondering if the chef could spare it! The other starters were all OK according to the rest of our group; nothing really stood out. I had lambs liver as main, with celeriac mash. The waitress 'warned' me that liver would be pink, which is the way it should be so I was very hopeful this would be good. Sadly, the thinner bits of liver were solid and completely overcooked, and the bigger pieces were only just soft and certainly not pink. Not only that, the 'celeric' mash did not taste of celeriac at all, it was mostly potato. All very average and not even better than good home cooked food. Thankfully, it was saved by a good Riocha and good company, but sadly, it could have been so much better with some care. The other mains again, were all just OK, i.e average. Worse than average were the deserts. Most of these were not available and the waitress provided us with a very short list on very imaginative deserts, including sticky toffee pudding and apricot + rhubarb crumble. There of plumped for the latter, with either custard or ice cream. I have the crumble with custard, which was tasteless Bird's instant custard and the crumble had been microwaved from frozen. There was no 'crumble', there was just soggy paste and though this was pretty horrid, it looked even worse. In fact, it looked like someone had vomited on the plate! No attempt to make it look even vaguely attractive..very sad really! The others who had this desert were similarly unimpressed. The sticky toffee pudding was a decent looking lump, but again, there sauce was in short supply; it was a bit mean again. Cost-wise, if the food was good, it would be OK. Its not too expensive, but the quality does come near to matching the price.

2  Thank Moto_Andy