“Birthday Treat”

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Evershot
Swindon, England, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

I wanted to treat my girlfriend for her birthday and so I took her to the Summer Lodge Hotel for a spa afternoon followed by dinner. The spa was just fantastic; we both had excellent massages and we were made to feel very welcome by the friendly staff. The hotel was simply excellent in every respect - the attention to detail was faultless and all the staff we met looked after us to a very high standard. The wine list is incredible and the sommelier was of great assistance in choosing a suitable white within my price range. Sadly, I couldn't afford the £6,500 bottle! We eventually chose a Pariente white which turned out to be superb. The food - both dinner and breakfast - was presented to MasterChef standards and cooked to perfection. The cheese board should not be missed. I can be hard to please but for us this experience was 10 out 10 on every front. We will be back!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gregory_Sumner
Evershot1, General Manager at Summer Lodge, responded to this review, August 10, 2013
Dear Gregory_Sumner, I am delighted to see how much you enjoyed this stay at Summer Lodge to celebrate your girlfriend's birthday. Thank you for taking the time to post this review. A rating of 10 out of 10 is lofty praise indeed and I am so happy to see that you will be back. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (215)
berkshire
Reviewed August 4, 2013

We normally stay at Summer Lodge in December but this year decided to experience summer in Dorset. This hotel (and its staff) never fails to impress. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave first class personalised service is the norm.

It is true that it is any stay at Summer Lodge is not inexpensive but if you want to enjoy outstanding rooms, wonderful surroundings and food that is of an exceptional high quality then this is a hotel you must visit.

Additionally according to the staff they have managed to produce all the food minus all calories!

Don't miss the cheeseboard if you venture to Summer Lodge as it is, in my opinion, one of the best you will ever encounter not least at it serves a superb range of British cheese.

Charles and his team are to be applauded at being able to maintain such high standards.

We shall certainly return in 2014

Room Tip: They are all outstanding but we had Room 2 on this visit which I would recommend
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pclarkBerkshire
Dear pclark, thank you so much for taking the time to post this very kind review of your stay at Summer Lodge. Your continued visits are the most rewarding endorsement and I am delighted to see how much you enjoyed your visit. We look forward very much to seeing you again next year.
Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
Stratford-upon-Avon, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I wanted to take my Mum away for a nice relaxing day before an upcoming hospital appointment and found Summer Lodge on TripAdvisor. I was a little put off by the price, but as it was a special day I decided to throw a little caution and book, and was not disappointed.

From arrival in the spa to the amazing dinner I was thoroughly impressed and would heartily recommend. The only small niggle, and I emphasise that they were small, is the TINY gym, which I actually couldn't use the running machine in as I am over 6ft in height.

The hotel and setting is beautiful; immaculate lawns and gardens, including a veg and herb garden for the kitchen, and a member of staff came to the car to greet us when we arrived, which is always a nice touch.

We went for the surprise menu, which was amazing, and unlike a lot of 6 to 9 course tasters, actually had a good portion size, so the fillet steak was 6oz, rather than the 4 you would normally find on an extended menu. I left full and each course was a delight. I did get some food envy from the couple next to us who has the cheese trolley though...

The sommelier was awesome as well, and the Spanish Louro wine that we had with the meal was absolutely delicious and a perfect match to most of what we ate, a feat in itself as the surprise menu is apparently also a surprise to most of the staff until service starts due to the competition training the kitchen are going through! Nice to hear about wine from someone who is obviously so informed.

All in all really good, although very expensive to boot, which balances it out. I wish I could afford to go more often as it was great!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Dear RichardEllipsis, I am thrilled to see how much you and your Mother enjoyed your spa day and surprise menu dinner with us at Summer Lodge and grateful to you for posting this kind review. The Chef and the Sommelier in particular are delighted to see their efforts acknowledged and we all hope it will not be too long before you visit us again. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
Camberley, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

My husband and I and a couple of dear friends spent last Tuesday and Wednesday at Summer Lodge. We were warmly welcomed and had a truly enjoyable experience there. The rooms were luxurious. We were offered an upgrade which we took and did not regret. The grounds were picturesque and so well tended . In the evening we ate a wonderful meal in the Acorn Inn. Breakfast in Summer Lodge was delicious and afternoon tea in the garden was a delightful experience. The staff couldn't have been more courteous and helpful We certainly hope to visit again.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first and ask if there is an upgrade available to compare. Most of the rooms ar...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Anfeesa
Evershot1, General Manager at Summer Lodge, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Dear Anfeesa, we are thrilled to see how much you enjoyed your stay at Summer Lodge and very grateful to you for posting this kind review. I am particulary happy too that you found the staff courteous and helpful. I will let the team at The Acorn know how much you enjoyed your meal with them. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
Dorset
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Three of us visited the spa for a half day. In the spa's defence, this was an extremely hot day, but I was dismayed to find that the swimming pool, in a giant conservatory, had no opening windows or blinds, just a door open to the garden at either end. The temperature in there must have been well over 35 C, and humid. We swam for a short while but it was like swimming through soup! When it came to change for our treatments it was very disappointing to see that the changing rooms were small (one shower, one private cubicle and a line of lockers - no other room) and the used towel basket was overflowing. The treatments WERE good and I give the girls full marks for maintaining their politeness and cool on such a hot day. I've been to Summer Lodge several times and wouldn't pay the extortionate prices for the restaurant again, but as this was a special birthday, I thought we'd try the spa as a treat. However, overall, when I think that we paid £300 for that half day, it makes me want to grind my teeth to dust. I used to love this place. Sad I shan't be coming again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank surferhair
Evershot1, General Manager at Summer Lodge, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear surferhair, I am very sorry to read that you found the spa too hot and the changeroom too small. Being in a conservancy area as it is, the local authorities reluctantly granted us permission to cover the existing swimming pool, but did not permit any air conditioning. This does of course present us with challenges on the odd hot day. The authorities also permitted us the smallest amount of space on which to add a mini spa. I am delighted that you enjoyed your massage but also so sad to see you will not be visiting us again. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 25, 2013

We had a sublime experience staying at Summer lodge. The garden and grounds are worthy of a national trust special. With delightful summer boarders and waterfalls, as well as discrete hammocks and chairs to laze away in. We had the gourmet 'menu de degustacion' - definitely one of the best I've ever eaten - in the molecular gastronomy mode without feeling you are being experimented on.The cooked breakfast, included, was also delicious -i had the eggs Benedict - perfect eggs, light mayonnaise and crispy bacon. served on their terrace overlooking the gardens. The swimming pool was a tad small but in a glass house with natural light and small sauna. The fitness room was a little overcrowded with machines. The staff were all wonderful, attentive friendly and never condescending.Thank you for a special memory.

Room Tip: We had one of the cottage rooms which was great for midsummer but would be a little dark for other t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear neil h, thank you so much for this kind review of your stay at Summer Lodge. I am so happy to see that your experience was sublime, your meal was one of your best you have ever eaten and that you have special memories of your visit. Hopefully, it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
Reviewed July 24, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I both stayed at the nearby sister inn the acorn. As it was our wedding anniversary we decided to eat at the summer lodge and enjoy the experience of both premises.
It's a truly beautiful hotel and as we all the red carnation establishments, absolutely perfect and immaculate. The staff are very well trained and mix efficiency with humour and warmth. This is very rare and most welcome!
The staff made us very welcome despite us not being there guests they even gave us the gift of chocolates on our table. I guess lovely jack and alex from the acorn had communicated that it was our wedding anniversary.
Anyone that has a negative thing to say about any red carnation establishment is really off there rockers! I can only assume they are just not happy with life!

Stayed July 2013
Dear Mrspjontour, your kind review of Summer Lodge is most welcome. Thank you so much for taking the time to post it. I am delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay at The Acorn and your anniversary dinner here at Summer Lodge. We take such pleasure in what we do and it really is the cherry on the cake when we receive acknowledgement like this. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Evershot
Dower House Hotel
The Bull Hotel
The Bull Hotel
#1 of 10 in Bridport
Best Western Dorset Oborne the Grange Hotel

Been to Summer Lodge? Share your experiences!