“Lovely overnight stay”
Review of Summer Lodge

Summer Lodge
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Evershot
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Having just left Southampton following a cruise, our daughter booked us into Summer Lodge for one night (Saturday). Wonderful location, beautiful gardens and grounds. Very quiet and peaceful - just what we needed. Lovely Receptionist who directed us to a well appointed lounge overlooking the very large garden and, with the sun pouring in, the three of us proceeded to enjoy a delightful late lunch - lovely food and plenty of tea and so very well served by the lovely staff - attentive and made us feel so relaxed and at ease. Decided to try the Tasting Menu for dinner and must thank the Sommelier (sorry, can't remember his name - must be the wine!) for all his information regarding the different wines and his enthusiasm in choosing the wines for the six different courses. Lovely dinner with excellent staff lasting around three hours - we did enjoy ourselves ! The rooms were lovely and each one different. Everything you could need. Breakfast was to the, by now, expected high standard - full English or Continental or anything you wanted - served either in the garden or the Dining Room. Thanks to all the staff for being so helpful and pleasant and making our stay so memorable. Thanks also to the Gardener who gave me some tips regarding watering plants and telling us the story surrounding the Lodge and garden. If you can go, then go - you won't regret it. We will be back !

Room Tip: Some rooms are in the main building, some in the adjacent buildings. We were in the main building...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Evershot1, General Manager at Summer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 27, 2013

Dear Anne S, thank you so much for your very kind review of Summer Lodge. We are always thrilled to see the details of what guests have enjoyed. That you will be back is the greatest possible endorsement you could give us and we hope it is not too long until your return visit.
Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

My wife and I discovered Summer Lodge 9 years ago, and we love it so much we go there at least twice a year. We have been lucky to travel the world staying in luxury hotels, but we both feel Summer Lodge is the best of all. This is an extraordinary feat for a country hotel in Dorset!

The staff are superb, the décor unique and lovely, and the food and wine are outstanding. The setting in an idyllic village amongst rolling hills is quite stunning.

Of course, Summer Lodge is not cheap. But it in our view it is worth every penny.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Andy B, my team and I are very grateful for your kind review of your recent stay at Summer Lodge. I cannot begin to tell you how wonderful it feels to see that you rate us as the best of the many luxury hotels you have stayed in all over the world. Lofty praise indeed! We look forward very much to welcoming you and Mrs B back to Summer Lodge soon. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 23, 2013

We stayed for a night on the 19th July as part of a weekend break in Dorset. Very peaceful location, bed was very comfortable and room very quiet. The staff were exceptional and could not do enough for you. We both had treatments done in the Spa by Naomi who was fantastic and really cares about what she does. Although this hotel is fairly expensive, but fortunately in this case you do get what you pay for. Despite a problem with our shower, it was dealt with very efficiently & quickly.

Will definitely stay at this hotel again, and can highly recommend it.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear FriendsSurrey, thank you so much, on behalf of my team, for the kind review of Summer Lodge. I am delighted to read about the many things you enjoyed during your visit and especially the massage given by Naomi. It makes me very happy to see that you will recommend us highly and that you will definitely stay here again. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

we stayed for 3 nights at beginning of july, very peaceful location and beautiful gardens;
bed was comfortable and very quiet despiet hotel being busy;
everything was spotlessly clean and well maintained;
food was good but not outstanding;
,staff were all friendly and helpful
overall we enjoyed our stay and look forward to going back

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear minerva10, it is a great pleasure reading a kind review like this of Summer Lodge and I am grateful to you for taking the time to do so. It is also very satisfying to know that your room was quiet despite the hotel being busy and that you look forward to coming back. Hopefully that day is not too far off. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 20, 2013

My wife and I plus our dog Teddy spent three fantastic nights at Summer Lodge. Firstly our room was perfect for our needs even a dog bed for Teddy, secondly the staff were very attentive and helpful - they even knew Teddy's name and finally the food and wine were exemplary. It was a truly relaxing stay in a beautiful location. We would not hesitate for an instant to recommend it. We can't to go back.

Stayed: July 2013
Evershot1, General Manager at Summer Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2013

Dear cthel, thank you so much for your kind review of Summer Lodge. I am delighted to see how much you and Teddy enjoyed your stay. "We can't wait to go back" is the best possible endorsement we could hope for. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

My husband and I spent 4 nights at this fantastic place. We celebrated out wedding anniversary whilst there and the staff made us feel very special. Out suite was amazing, the food great and the service outstanding. Special mentions to dining room staff Max and Justin who were totally professional without being stuffy and very friendly. We felt very spoiled. Nothing was too much trouble for any of the staff and we are planning another visit soon to revisit the idyllic surroundings and comfort of this hotel.

One small point, and this is true of most of the many hotels I have stayed in - the lighting must have been designed by a man. This woman prefers to sit at a dressing table to dry hair, put on make up etc. However, the lighting was too dim and in the wrong place for me to see. The magnifying mirror, although it had a light, did not really help. The hotel provided me with an anglelpoise lamp but still not much use so I put my makeup on in the daylight in the lovely private garden we had. No problem as we had superb weather. I am really NOT complaining about this, just drawing the attention to all hotel room designers that women have needs that maybe men do not understand. There was a magnifying mirror in the bathroom too, which was on an arm that extended, but when pulled out, was too high for me to see into (I am 5'1") and too low for my husband (6'2"). The lighting was a bit dim in there too and as stated, I prefer to sit down. I have not deducted any points for this as it happens everywhere.

I would recommend this hotel to anyone who likes something rather classy but friendly, comfortable and special.

Room Tip: Suite 18 was a lovely indulgence for our anniversary. It has a lovely conservatory, where we had bre...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Robbsea, thank you so much for your kind review of Summer Lodge. I am delighted to see how much you enjoyed your stay. Max and Justin are going to be especially thrilled to be mentioned. We appreciate your valuable comments regarding the lighting very much. Some changes are being made in this suite in the new year and enhancing the lighting is at the top of the list of things to do. Hopefully, it will not be too long before we are able to welcome you back. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Reviewed July 17, 2013

We recently stayed at the Summer Lodge and ALL of our expectations were exceeded. The rooms were elegantly decorated, the Lodge itself was impeccably maintained- the quintissential English garden hotel. The food was fantastic-classic yet interesting- and the waitstaff, as well as the rest of the hotel staff, were able to anticipate our every need before we even knew we needed something! We have stayed in several hotels of the Relais and Chateau designation, but this has been far and away our best experience even among this elite group. The town of Evershot is adorable, and there are many excellent walks nearby. The hotel was able to print out a walking guide for us and we were able to walk to a large country estate in the vicinity. We brough along our infant daughter. The hotel took extra pains to make her comfortable. The lawn outside was a great place for her to romp while we enjoyed lunch on the terrace. There is even a playground area for children and she loved the fountains, gardens, and croquet lawn. I only wish we had more time to use the Spa facilities. We will absolutely be returning soon for another weekend getaway.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear Elizabeth G, I cannot begin to tell you how much pleasure we get from feedback like yours. Thank you so much for your kind review of Summer Lodge. I am thrilled to see how much you and your family enjoyed your stay. That you rate us as your best Relais & Chateaux experience, is lofty praise indeed. Hopefully, it will not be too long before we can welcome you back. Sincerely, Charles, General Manager.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Evershot
Dower House Hotel
#2 of 10 in Bridport
Bridge House Hotel
Bridge House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Beaminster

Been to Summer Lodge? Share your experiences!