“UNDER NEW MANAGEMENT - DISAPPONTING FOOD”

The Royal Oak Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Bere Regis
Reviewed April 15, 2013

We booked this B&B specifcally as they served evening meals and the food reviews had been so good previously. Unfortunately very disapponted with the dinner we had on Saturday night. Poor quality, badly made. Tomato and Mozarella Salad was nothing like one I'd ever seen before, main course fish cooked using pre packed frozen fish, chips dark and floppy, cheese board a large diiner plate with only one type of cheese on one half of the plate and a pile of biscuits on the other. Apparenly there is only one cheese to be had from a choice of three, no 'greenery' on the cheese board either. They'd run out of grapes and had no alternatives. Very slow service. None of the tables were set up for dinner, despite having booked in advance. It's a real shame as we had such high hopes based on previous reviews. New owners have been in the property for only 12 weeks so all previous reviews based on the old owners food. The waitress told us they currently have no chef. The owners are however very pleasant and did give a discount on checkout for the poor meals. Am assuming things will perk up once they've got into the swing of things - it's the attention to detail that seems to be missing.
Breakfast was very good! Cooked to order so quite slow in coming, but very tasty.
The bedrom was fine - I'm not sure it was worth the price we paid for B&B, but was OK. As previously mentioned, plug sockets not ideally situated for mirrors.
Location was very good, but would be unlikely to stay here again based on this experience.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
sparsons40, Owner at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2013

I have thought about how to respond to this review carefully so back to the beginning. After being in our property about 30mins I found you snooping around the rooms upstairs which are either private or let to other people, in response you just said 'you were being nosey', the last time I checked you cannot just go into rooms at your leisure in a hotel or B&B it is deemed rude. You them proceeded to dislike every part of your meal, 3 starters and 3 mains. After being rude to my staff you were offered an alternative meal which you declined. You then went on to clear your plates! I wonder if the meal was so bad that you could eat it all up. My husband served at breakfast as I did not want another member of staff being spoken to rudely by yourself, as it was you were very happy and chatty. I cannot understand how I could prepare breakfast so well, even if slow, and make such a disaster of your dinner as I was in the kitchen both times. The Fish in batter is currently bought in but it does not say 'Home Made' on the menu. As for tables being laid up ready the only thing missing was your cutlery which the girls bring out at the point of ordering. As it rained all day Saturday I wonder if the rain had just put a dampener on your whole weekend

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Hosts were generally friendly, but not over attentive. Needed prompting for refills at breakfast for example. No apologies for not servicing the room, apparently we were supposed to a card on the door!

Cleanliness apart from a little cobwebb down the side of the bed - spotless.

Facilities were the major drawback. This room used to be a small double that id stayed in before, but its recently been changed into a twin. Even though the room had almost everything it needed, it was very cramped for 2 single beds and very badly laid out.

Faults included - no wardrobe, just a rail in the bathroom (not ideal as the bathroom had no window so damp could be a problem, also as a twin room it's inconvenient not to be able to get access to clothes if someone else is in bathroom). Drawers couldn't open fully as the beds were in the way. Both beds were facing away from the TV. Plug sockets were adequate but hard to reach. However, the beds were clean, warm and comfy.

Breakfast- Lovely food cooked fresh to order, but took ages. No napkins on table and needed prompting for coffee top-ups. On plus side bottled water available.

Would i stay again? probably but not in that room.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank mazfc
RoyalOak_13, Owner at The Royal Oak Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

I am sorry to read you did not enjoy your stay. We no longer just service rooms as we have had complaints from other guests. We put the door cards in all the rooms so it could be requested. I will take special care to tell guests about this when booking in in future, I only wish you had mentioned it before checking out time and we could have done something about it. The twin room is the smallest room in the building and not the best shape but this is reflected in the price. I have had a builder out today to discuss re-configuring the room to make it better but this will not happen until later in the year when all the bathrooms are re-done. My husband served breakfast on Sunday whilst I cooked and I shall mention your comment about refills and I'm afraid I cannot speed up the cooking time for breakfast for as you pointed out it is all cooked fresh to order so it does take longer but I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Reviewed April 10, 2013

I can't comment on accommodation, as I didn't stay here overnight; I visited with a friend after a morning's walking, for lunch.

The pub, one of two in the village, is on split levels - downstairs, Stables Bar (presumably converted from stables from the times when the pub was a coaching inn), and upstairs, the bar, with a mixed drinking and eating room. The room is sparsely decorated, with a few old photos on the walls; there are settees around a wood-burning stove, and normal tables as well as the bar to sit at.

The menu comprised half a dozen mains, and two specials, priced from £6.95 to £8.95, which could be described as pub favourites, as well as sandwiches. I chose moussaka, at £8.95; my companion, a brie & cranberry sandwich.

Food arrived after an appropriate wait; my moussaka was hot and filling, with a good sauce, though it contained potato, which is not traditional, I understand, served with garlic bread and a simple salad. My companion had no adverse comments about her sandwich. Our meal was accompanied by a good pint of Timothy Taylor, and a glass of merlot.

Service was excellent; friendly and humorous.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 7, 2012

The room was spacious, everything was clean and had all facilities i needed. The staff were lovely and friendly and made us feel very comfortable! The pub had a nice atmosphere, everything was reasonably priced and the food was DELICIOUS! Would definitely come back, thank you very much!

• Stayed: November 2012
3  Thank LozMoz90
Reviewed November 5, 2012

we stayed here for 2 nights with our 3mth old baby.the room was big enough for a travel cot and very clean the owners are very friendly. The food is nice.would visit again!!would recommend this hotel although we did.nt go in to bere regis village as we were down to visit my family so not sure what was around the area.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank emma e
Reviewed September 23, 2012

This was our second stay here this year and it was as good as the first.The food was excellent again as was the accommodation, we were made very welcome and nothing was to much trouble and we had a great three day break .hope to be back soon ..

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 8, 2012

My husband and I had a lovely stay here it was very clean and comfortable, the breakfast was excellent and very well presented, with a friendly service. The room was a bit small, but had everything we needed.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 13 in Poole
The Priory Hotel
The Priory Hotel
#1 of 3 in Wareham

Been to The Royal Oak Hotel? Share your experiences!