“The Best Sea & Food in Teignmouth”

Crab Shack on the beach
Ranked #4 of 84 Restaurants in Teignmouth
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a family of commercial fisherman with two working fishing boats. The Crab Shack is a small restaurant on the back beach in Teignmouth where we serve fresh seafood.
Reviewed April 27, 2014

OMG! If you love Seafood you cannot miss this Gem out. My husband and I found this place on Trip Advisor whilst planning our trip down to South Devon and we decided to book ahead. Luckily we did or we wouldn't have got a table. This really is a must! Word of advice take an appetite and don't over order as we did because the size of the portions is more than generous.
I highly recommend the crab soup. Its THE best soup I have ever tasted and we want to recreate it at home back in London! Just so beautiful and delicate whilst being full of flavour. We both opted for the platters for one. My husband had the Lobster Platter for one and I had the Crab Platter for one. If we are honest one platter would have been more than enough. We also went for some house fries as well. This really was a waste as there was so much food we hardly dented the fries and completely missed the bread bucket as well. Its a real hands on platter and the crab was the sweetest, meatiest flesh I have ever tasted. Pure heaven. It was an utter joy to eat and very, very reasonably priced. I have eaten a smaller platter in Belgium for 3 times the price and even on holiday in the Mediterranean we have paid over 150euro for just one platter. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and the restaurant itself small, warm and bijou. I just can't tell you how wonderful it truly was. Its a very popular and busy place and seating times are 2 hours and we struggled to finish our meal in that time. Partly because we had a little difficulty finding it as its tucked away and partly because we ordered too much food. The wines were good and this place far, far, far outshone any meal I have had at 5* establishments and named chefs. We are planning our next trip already just so we can eat here again! If only Crab Shack was in London! xx

Write a ReviewReviews (1,076)

Reviewed April 27, 2014

Thanks to everyone at the shack tonight, the food is fantasic and the staff friendly.
Dont worry if you don't know how to eat shellfish as full training is given. We were not rushed at all and enjoyed the views towards Saldon and Dartmoor.
Not somewhere for a first date but roll the sleeves up and tuck in to some of the finest shellfish you will ever eat!

Reviewed April 26, 2014

Visited the Crab Shack for my birthday , booked in January after reading reviews , had a lovely meal very relaxed atmosphere , really friendly staff and lovely food . I had the fruits de mer , which was huge , the crab was succulent and delicious . Wine was good and sensibly priced .
I would certainly recommend this place and will definitely return when next in the area !!!

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Arrived to find we just missed the last portion of mussels in retrospect we were more than happy with the excellent food and service. My wife's choice, Crab Soup and Crab Croque which was to die for. I chose my usual pint of prawns with the special crab shack dip followed by possibly the best Cod and chips I have ever eaten the batter was to die for, the attentive waiter explained the secret was in the special light batter "a meal to die for". My wife's meal was equally as special ( scallops in a cream sauce though a few more scallops instead of the clams would have been perfect). Compliments to the chef and the front of house team.

Reviewed April 23, 2014

We we're recommend the crab shack and we're staying in Exmouth so thought we would go to teignmouth and give it a go . We booked a table when we got there because we had a dog who was welcome ! Just decided on crab sandwiches which were delicious . Staff attentive and really friendly . We sat outside which was great but inside looked fab ! We will be back .