Kota Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: Seafood, British, New Zealand
Good for: Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Awarded a Bib Gourmand in the Michelin Guide 2013, Kota is also proud to be recognized by the Good Food Guide, Harden’s Restaurant Guide, the Trencherman’s Guide, Square Meal and the AA (with one Rosette). Kota is also part of Cornish Accredited Restaurants and has been praised many times in both local and national editorials, including The Times and The Telegraph. Kota was named in the Top 50 Summer Restaurants in Britain in August 09, and voted ‘The Big Eat’ in the top 10 pan-Asian eateries July 2008.)This publicity, together with word of mouth, attracts many locals, as well as foodies from Padstow, Bristol and London seeking a weekend of fun, fine dining and stunning coastal walks. And don’t miss out on a ‘Storm-watching’ break during those wild winter months (great B&B deals to be had!Chef/owner Jude Kereama is a New Zealander who has won awards for his restaurants in both London and Auckland before moving down to Cornwall.Kota specializes in organic fish and farm produce and has an exciting daily changing menu.Kota is Maori for shellfish (Jude is half Maori, quarter Chinese and quarter Malaysian) and the restaurant is renowned for its stunning seafood with Jude’s signature light Asian twist.Jude and his wife Jane, who started as a protégée of Antony Worrall Thompson 20 years ago, are passionate about wine as well as food and have created an enticing wine list of over 90 wines from all over the world. Even Decanter Magazine has praised it!There is a lovely bar area where guests can enjoy fine wine, cocktails, cold beer or a warming digestif.Don’t forget to book a room so you can truly relax!
Reviewed October 3, 2013

This really is top whack! Quality cuisine and a good wine list. Delightful setting and perfect service. Could not be faulted.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you are staying in Porthleven, then I must recommend that you have a meal at Kota.

The food was absolutely amazing - better than many London restaurants and the fish was some of the freshest I have ever tasted in the UK.

I couldn't fault this place.

Reviewed September 23, 2013

A gem of a restaurant!

We were on holiday in Cornwall and my husband had booked the table before we left home. I am a vegetarian and so often have to "make do" in restaurants so this was designed as a treat. The meal was excellent from start to finish and I couldn't resist the "vegetarian fish and chips", what an imaginative chef!!
The staff were friendly and helpful and I would certainly dine there again when next in the area.

Reviewed September 18, 2013

My husband and myself agreed it was one of the best meals we have ever had in a restaurant especially for the price we paid. Service was excellent, some lovely members of staff who were more than happy to help with our requests - I'm currently expecting so couldn't have anything undercooked (unfortunately!!) but the scallops were still beautiful as was the duck breast. My husband went all out and went for 2 fish/seafood dishes of a crab starter and John Dory main which he said was superb. Cold bottled tap water upon arrival which was free of charge and a nice touch, extensive wine list for 'by the glass' wines and a chocolate fondant to die for. All for £80.00??? Yes please!!!

Reviewed September 14, 2013

I decided to treat my parents one Saturday night by taking them out for dinner, we chose here because my parents saw Duck advertised outside on the set menu outside. They were pretty much full but squeezed us in. Unfortunately when we sat down & ordered they said that menu had changed and the duck wasn't available. Pork belly was ordered instead by both my slightly miffed parents. Unfortunately when the pork belly came out they were not very hot. Staff told us it was because the meat had been resting- we felt like we were being awkward but it was fairly pricey & we were disappointed. To be fair, they took it back and appeared to have cooked 2 new ones fresh, probably much to their annoyance. This caused a lag in the eating of all our meals. We were ready to mope away, advise friends against it and never go back but to our surprise, when the bill arrived they had put our wine & other drinks on the house & offered us complimentary Teas & coffees with apologies as they realised we had not been totally happy. This was a much appreciated gesture as we realised they did care and valued our experience. It was thanks to this gesture alone that my parents (noticing that my husband & I had eaten very delicious set meals from the set menu!) thought they would subsequently go back give Kota another try. When I last spoke to them they said they had eaten the 3 course set menu there and it was better than the Michelen starred place they had eaten a few weeks back! They are planning to go back again (which involves a special trip from Exeter!) Well done Kota, not just for very good food but for valuing customers.

2  Thank Mazonhols