“Don't expect a quiet evening”
Review of Kota Restaurant

Kota Restaurant
Ranked #3 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: Seafood, British, New Zealand
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: Awarded a Bib Gourmand in the Michelin Guide 2013, Kota is also proud to be recognized by the Good Food Guide, Harden’s Restaurant Guide, the Trencherman’s Guide, Square Meal and the AA (with one Rosette). Kota is also part of Cornish Accredited Restaurants and has been praised many times in both local and national editorials, including The Times and The Telegraph. Kota was named in the Top 50 Summer Restaurants in Britain in August 09, and voted ‘The Big Eat’ in the top 10 pan-Asian eateries July 2008.)This publicity, together with word of mouth, attracts many locals, as well as foodies from Padstow, Bristol and London seeking a weekend of fun, fine dining and stunning coastal walks. And don’t miss out on a ‘Storm-watching’ break during those wild winter months (great B&B deals to be had!Chef/owner Jude Kereama is a New Zealander who has won awards for his restaurants in both London and Auckland before moving down to Cornwall.Kota specializes in organic fish and farm produce and has an exciting daily changing menu.Kota is Maori for shellfish (Jude is half Maori, quarter Chinese and quarter Malaysian) and the restaurant is renowned for its stunning seafood with Jude’s signature light Asian twist.Jude and his wife Jane, who started as a protégée of Antony Worrall Thompson 20 years ago, are passionate about wine as well as food and have created an enticing wine list of over 90 wines from all over the world. Even Decanter Magazine has praised it!There is a lovely bar area where guests can enjoy fine wine, cocktails, cold beer or a warming digestif.Don’t forget to book a room so you can truly relax!
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We had expected a little more from this Resturant having read the reviews. The food, we thought, was very good. The service was friendly but very average. The hard floor and wall surfaces along with a fairly dense seeding arrangement made for a very noisy atmosphere. If you want a relaxing evening go elsewhere.

1  Thank Kenninuk

Reviewed July 12, 2011

Well cooked an tasteful food,from 6.00pm-8.00pm a good cheap menu,one waitress a bit loud but well worth a visit,Make sure you book

Reviewed July 6, 2011

We are regulars of this lovely restaurant and love to come here on special occasions, as it is not that close to us; however Jane and her team go out of the way to look after us.

The food is divine and cooked superbly by the chefs who clearly put a lot of thought and love into their food. The service is by no doubt efficient, friendly and professional, the fact that it is not pretentious and service is designed to keep you relaxed is what we love about the place, this kind of service when it is busy keeps them on their toes I’m sure but their service is number one, because the customer is number one. This helps create the atmosphere and buzz about the quirky and comfortable building.

It saddens me that as I come here to write such a glowing review that someone has written such nonsense. Obviously they have gone to the wrong restaurant or carry a blind stick around with them. With a 1st in my degree in hospitality management, I would like to think that I DEFINATELY know what I am talking about. This website is very useful, and we love to use it to give praise to those who deserve it, it is important that those in hospitality are recognised for the good and extremely hard work that they do, and yes if the service is genuinely shocking, and food that bad I agree that they should be commented on, but not those who do not deserve such harsh criticism.

1  Thank K100783
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Cannot understand what all the noise is about this poorly furnished little place serving very ordinary & sometime bland dishes. I started with the scallops & asked if it was possible not to have the pork with them as I don't eat it. I was told no problem - perhaps an extra scallop may have been nice but no. The scallops were drowned in the sauces - a mixture of pureed apple & soy ginger (tasted very much like balsamic vinegar to me) and any flavour of the shellfish was lost completely. Moonface's rare tuna was rubbery & flavourless, although the wasabi was superb. Jane informed me this was one of the only items of food that is bought in - hey ho!

Our mains were equally lacking in anything other then average flavours & the deserts were not even worth writing about. We ordered sides to accompany our main courses which we certainly didn't need & felt cheated that no-one told us this. Jane's waiting skills are efficient to the point of brusqueness & we got the impression she is not a woman we would want to cross. Perhaps she would take that as a compliment, it's definitely not meant to be taken as one.

Porthleven is a gorgeous village & we will re-visit but not to Kota & we came away puzzled as to what it is we missed.

6  Thank jamie01
Reviewed June 13, 2011

These days you don't have to look far to find top quality food in Cornwall. From Padstow to St Ives and beyond, young chefs are making the most of the county's fresh ingredients. But truly creative cooking is still a rarity, and that's why Kota stands out. With New Zealand chef Jude Kereama at the helm, typically English ingredients such as belly pork, asparagus and scallops take on a new and exotic character.

Kereama's style is best defined as Asian fusion. Tempura battered Falmouth Bay pacific oysters with wasabi tartare are a perfect example of his creativity - served on a bed of salt and wrapped in lettuce leaves, the oysters are one of the best starters I've had in a very long time. I followed the oysters with another starter, the new season asparagus with poached free range duck egg, hollandaise sauce and truffled asparagus soup. This was a veggie delight: rich and flavourful yet also light and elegant. And then I had a third starter (!), the Seared Falmouth Bay scallops with belly of pork, soy ginger, cider apple puree and corriander cress. The fish/meat combination was intense in both flavour and texture, and the sweetness of the sauces worked well. Full credit goes to the serving staff, who encouraged me to make a meal of starters rather than pushing me towards a main (which I would have been too full to enjoy, having had a large lunch earlier in the day).

Kota's staff were all friendly and helpful, and the informal decor is very pleasant. An excellent wine list rounded out the experience. I felt that the prices were extremely low considering the high quality of the meal, and if we had got there a bit earlier, we could have taken advantage of the ridiculously cheap Early Bird Special.

My two dining partners loved Kota so much that they wanted to return the next day, which is definitely a recommendation! We ended up going somewhere else, but we will definitely return to Kota, perhaps in the Winter when they offer authentic Asian Nights at £15.00 for 5 dishes.