“if you are reading this, make the trip here.”
Review of Kota Restaurant

Kota Restaurant
Ranked #1 of 25 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: Seafood, British, New Zealand
Good for: Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Awarded a Bib Gourmand in the Michelin Guide 2013, Kota is also proud to be recognized by the Good Food Guide, Harden’s Restaurant Guide, the Trencherman’s Guide, Square Meal and the AA (with one Rosette). Kota is also part of Cornish Accredited Restaurants and has been praised many times in both local and national editorials, including The Times and The Telegraph. Kota was named in the Top 50 Summer Restaurants in Britain in August 09, and voted ‘The Big Eat’ in the top 10 pan-Asian eateries July 2008.)This publicity, together with word of mouth, attracts many locals, as well as foodies from Padstow, Bristol and London seeking a weekend of fun, fine dining and stunning coastal walks. And don’t miss out on a ‘Storm-watching’ break during those wild winter months (great B&B deals to be had!Chef/owner Jude Kereama is a New Zealander who has won awards for his restaurants in both London and Auckland before moving down to Cornwall.Kota specializes in organic fish and farm produce and has an exciting daily changing menu.Kota is Maori for shellfish (Jude is half Maori, quarter Chinese and quarter Malaysian) and the restaurant is renowned for its stunning seafood with Jude’s signature light Asian twist.Jude and his wife Jane, who started as a protégée of Antony Worrall Thompson 20 years ago, are passionate about wine as well as food and have created an enticing wine list of over 90 wines from all over the world. Even Decanter Magazine has praised it!There is a lovely bar area where guests can enjoy fine wine, cocktails, cold beer or a warming digestif.Don’t forget to book a room so you can truly relax!
Pewsey, United Kingdom
“if you are reading this, make the trip here.”
Reviewed May 22, 2011

We have been to KOTA many times over the last few years and it never disappoints. More often than not, it is the highlight of our entire trip. It is a restaurant that manages to balance the often elusive qualities of a successful restaurant with well honed skill; locally sourced food cooked with real imagination and flair, an affordable and eclectic wine list, smiling staff and a buzz in the air. We can't wait for our next visit.

• Visited April 2011

Penzance, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not as good as it once was”
Reviewed May 15, 2011

Me and my husband have been massive fans of Kota since it first opened. If ever we want to celebrate something special, or just have a real treat, Kota is the first place on our list. Therefore, after only one night out since the birth of my second child 8 months ago, we thought we deserved a real treat and booked in.
The meal we had was lovely, and as always, the service was welcoming and professional. However, we both left with a real feeling of dissapointment. It wasnt that the food was bad, it wasnt. It just wasnt up to the amazing standard we are used to in this restaurant. The choice on the menu seemed very limited this time, and any cheaper options that had previously been on offer ie fish and chips, had been removed. This left a very expensive menu which i dont think the food lived up to.
A real shame, but think we will probably be trying something a little different, and quite frankly, a little cheaper next time.

• Visited May 2011
1 Thank unhappy88
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food in enjoyable surroundings”
Reviewed April 26, 2011

A creative menu with fresh local ingredients. I had Scallops to start, served with belly pork and apple sauce. For main, I had the two types of duck. Both excellent. Good house wine too.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Little dissapointed”
Reviewed April 10, 2011

I found my lamb very bland and the risotto was over powered by onion. My partner liked his meal but found way to much sauce on his meal. It was a shame as it was out first night there. The staff obviously heard me state loudly that what was on my plate was not what I ordered and it was like chewing a bit of old leather, as they came to ask me if my meal was ok and I rightly so told them it was not what I expected and couldn't finish it as the onion was making me feel sick! Yet they just smiled and walked off! Not impressed with this one but went across the harbour to Amelies and its a different story! We paid less and got a better meal by far in there!!!! I would recommend them to anyone but this one here is not worth it, it was a waste of money in my opinion.

1 Thank Good_taste_can_cook
JaneKereama, Owner at Kota Restaurant, responded to this review, April 17, 2011
We are very sorry you were disappointed in your meal, and also very surprised to read your review. We remember you and your partner, and our waiter did speak to you about your meal at the time. You had said you thought there was too much onion in the cous cous (certainly not that it had made you feel sick) and he explained that it was the salsa which has shallots in it. You also said your partner had indeed enjoyed his meal but thought there was too much sauce. At no point did you mention the lamb was bland or tough - I would certainly remember this as the lamb is cooked sous vide which keeps the lamb especially tender and we have only had consistent praise on this by our other customers. We took your comments on the onion seriously and as a gesture we bought the both of you a drink, so a completey different story from the waiter just walking off with a smile comment in your review.
My husband, the chef, on reading the comments, will now check the blandness of his Ras el hanout marinated Lamb Rump with minted couscous, date puree and new season samphire.

I sincerely hope that you will give us another try so we may give you another chance to impress.

Yours sincerely the Kota team
somerset
“Great food, great service”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

Really enjoyed the Asian night recently - good food and great service.

• Visited March 2011