“Please don't interrupt me when I'm eating to ask if everything is OK!”
Review of Rick Stein

Rick Stein
Ranked #16 of 30 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: With fantastic harbour views, our restaurant in Porthleven offers sharing boards of local and seasonal produce all inspired by Rick's travels as well as mains such as Singapore chilli crab, fresh fish and rib eye steak.
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Popped in for lunch whilst in Porthleven. Staff were friendly and efficient. Water was offered as soon as we were shown to our table. The food was excellent and beautifully presented - as you would expect from a Rick Stein establishment. We would certainly go back again. But - a little hint for the staff - if the guests are happy, smiling and eating, then there is no need to ask them if everything is OK as it most obviously is. They will soon let you know if things are NOT OK!

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (1,230)

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

The setting looking out on the boats in the harbour was pleasant however the insure of the restaurant was somewhat grimy and the kitchen area one passed looked depressing . Table felt sticky with poor quality cutlery and paper napkins .

Food took a long time to arrive although restaurant for a Sunday lunchtime wasn’t busy . My husband enjoyed his food ... but when i asked if they could remove the head from my plaice I was told this was not possible .

Overall we spent more time waiting for food than eating it .

The toilets upstairs (several flights) were disgusting ...I doubted if they were cleaned regularly . Overall an underwhelming I experience, despite acceptable food . No wow factor

1  Thank dusna
Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

Wandering around the harbour with our dogs one evening whilst we stayed in the town, we popped into Rick Stein’s for a drink and nibble. It has a lovely comfortable & stylish interior and the board outside suggested we could go in just for drinks.
It has to be said that the greeting at the door was less than welcoming ... we felt that had we been staying for a meal we’d have been greeted with open arms, but for just a drink? That said, the guy who then showed us to our seats, was charming.
We asked to share a bruschetta with our drinks and were told in no uncertain terms it was “just half a slice of sourdough”. That was fine - we weren’t in for a meal, simply wanting something to nibble with our drinks. When it eventually arrived (and boy did it take its time) we were glad we hadn’t ordered more: diced bland tomatoes that were crying out for seasoning, olive oil, balsamic ... anything to give them some taste.
The next day, did we return for a meal? After that insight, of course not - it’s not as if it’s the only restaurant in town and I’m afraid we voted with our feet.

1  Thank 235JamesC235
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Another fab meal at Rick Steins in Porthleven. All the staff were friendly and the food excellent. We recommend the monkfish, absolutely delicious!

1  Thank Y815GXlindab
Reviewed 4 weeks ago via mobile

Very disappointed with my lunch today, although my wife enjoyed hers. Vietnamese chicken starter was very poor and I didn't finish it, but they didn't charge for it. The chef agreed with me it wasn't as it should be! The fish curry was slightly better, but not worth the £23.

1  Thank bobmW6195SV