“Could be better” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 8 Porthleven B&B and Inns
Gunnislake, United Kingdom
“Could be better”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 4, 2014 via mobile

We dined in your restaurant two days on the trot. Both times there were staff standing around gossiping and rather loudly I must say so. I watched nearly 4 members of staff standing round doing nothing nearly the whole time we were there. If you have time to stand around doing nothing then you have plenty of time to be doing so cleaning!!!

Secondly the food, although the portion sizes were very generous I was not happy to receive a fish pie with had not fish in it. Plenty of prawns but no fish and the mash on top was runny and where there was mash raw and lumpy. The second day I ordered scampi. When it arrived it was over cooked. I never said anything as I'm not one to complain I was disappointed.

As a family we decided that we weren't going to go back during the week we were staying as overall we weren't thrilled with the pub.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (97)
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for 4 nights in late February in a lovely harbour view room. I think the room had recently been refurbished as the bathroom in particular was immaculate, however there was a slight leak from the shower head which was fixed within 5 minutes of me mentioning it.

There were builders working in the hotel when we stayed (I assume refurbishing the other rooms), but apart from the early start (banging from 9ish) this was not an issue as we were out most of the day.

The breakfast was superb...lots of choices and generous portions, but the early sitting time (730-900 weekdays) could have done with being a half hour later so we could have a lie in.

Even though the rooms are above a pub, it was only on Saturday night when then band was playing that we could hear noise. However, it ended by 11pm, and the hotel supplied earplugs in case you didn't like it.

Would I stay again? Definitely. Although I have mentioned a few niggles, these were only minor things during the refurbishment and they wouldn't stop me from staying as the room was good, the breakfast lovely and the staff helpful.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2014 via mobile

Lovely room over looking the stunning harbour, accommodating staff , great breakfast clean dinning area and bedrooms, had lunch which was a from a varied and tasty menu, can thoroughly recommend the hotel and restaurant

• Stayed November 2013
2 Thank Kay S
west cornwall
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

We went to the pub for my birthday lunch today. My wife had the ribs & I had the mixed grill both off the specials menu. Both dishes arrived & appearances were good. My wife's ribs were a let down! They were fatty & lacking in meat. I could tell that these were the ones that come vacuum packed with sauce over them & all you do is press go on the microwave!! As a result they come out greasy & not very appealing for £12.95!!
My mixed grill however,was one of the best I've had! Everything was cooked fresh & the steak was pink & juicy. I really could not find a fault in it at all. Shame my wife didn't order the same as for an extra £2 she could of had a lovely meal!
So as the title suggests 50% good & 50% bad!

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank WestCornwallNipper
Northam, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for one night and opted for the harbour view room. It was well worth the extra money! Its in the perfect location for wondering around the harbour and all the little shops. We ate here in the evening and could not fault the food or the service! We stayed to watch the band who were fantastic and had a good laugh with the landlord and locals! Will definately be back for a fabulous night away.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 12, 2014

I stayed here over New Year. The room was comfortable and clean. As there was a gale blowing outside I had to put a bit of card in the window sash to stop it rattling but that was in extreme conditions. There are fish choices on the breakfast menu.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
      Sleep Quality
1 Thank Sylvia419
St Austell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 8, 2014

Came here with my family for a drink during the stormy weather. Brilliant place to see everything but customer service. You need to work on that my loves. Went to the bar to order drinks with an older gentleman and half way through i had to speak to my mother as she didnt tell me what she wanted when he said "i dont have time for this, what do want" yes i agree your busy but dont speak to your customers like dirt.
He then put the rugby on which was so loud i couldnt even speak, asked for him to turn it down and i think he turned it up. Absolutly horrendous. After ten minutes he turned it down. Overall nice place to go. But sort your customer service out. I will not be returning.

• Stayed February 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Porthleven
Premier Inn Helston Hotel
Tregenna Castle Resort
The Alverton
The Alverton
#1 of 6 in Truro

Been to Harbour Inn? Share your experiences!