“Good value”

Ranked #1 of 8 Porthleven B&B and Inns
dorset
“Good value”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2013

If you like Cornish harbour inns then this is better than lots of them and as good as most of the rest.... Comfortable rooms, good choice of breakfast and good staff...... Great position overlooking the harbour.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My family and I visited this pub a couple of times while staying in Porthleven on holiday for a week. On arriving in the pub the decor of the exterior is very nice with pretty hanging baskets and the interior isn't too bad. The first evening we ate there was a carvery set up but we all chose not to go for it. The food looked as if it had been sitting there for quite a while and didn't really appeal.

We opted for some starters - we shared the fish platter which said it was for two people but when it came out it was huge with great chunks of white fish, calamari, and whitebait. There really was far too much - mostly brown, battered and breadcrumed which was a bit of a shame although there were a couple of dips to accompany it. There were five of us and two of the others had ordered different starters but they did manage to help us three out with ours so we nearly finished it. We all chose to have steaks with various sauces and these were fine - nothing outstanding - very much pub grub but equally it wasn't overpriced. My main point here would be that we hadn't visited the pub before - we had reserved a table and were shown to it when we arrived. No-one came to ask us if we wanted drinks so my husband went to the bar to order the drinks. We then had to ask for menus as again, nobody had come over to us to see what we wanted and we were unsure about how to go about ordering the food - there were no notices up anywhere to give us any clues. We got up and asked at the bar again for the menus and then realised that you had to go to the bar to order your food and pay for it at the till there. We didn't have to wait too long for the food and as I said, the portions were generous. We ate on another evening but this time obviously we knew the system and we opted to just have main meals of the meat pies which were very good and again good value. On the whole - not a bad place to eat but nothing spectacular.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 26, 2013

Perfect location and it was lovely to sit on the harbour side and enjoy a G & T. The room was clean and the bed was the most comfortable bed I have slept on. Unfortunately, our shower was rather luke in temperature for my liking and we weren't able to adjust the temp.

The breakfast was fabulous on both days. I had salmon and scramble on the first morning stay, though toast did not come with it and would of appreciated knowing this prior. Toast is available that you put through a toaster yourself which is okay when you haven't got a hot plate of food on your table. Second day had English breakfast with fab sausages. Lovely stay and a great atmosphere in the bar.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Nottingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

We’ve been visiting Porthleven for the past 13 years and having a pint of HSD sat outside looking at the view is still one of my highlights of the holiday!

The pub itself is a good, traditional pub and has a separate dining area, (through a separate entrance). The food is traditional pub food and while it’s not spectacular we’ve never had a bad meal there. It’s very reasonably priced and also serves a decent breakfast to non residents.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
Gloucester
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2013 via mobile

always park opposite the pub, stroll along to the pier and then back for a well earned pint of beer ..never had a bad experience..food is ok..chilli could have been hotter (spicier)...recommend it if visiting this areas.

• Stayed October 2013
Essex Coast
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 3, 2013

I went here for a meal at 8pm on a Friday evening; it was not busy. I ordered a bottle of wine (a very good Rioja at a not outrageous price as it turned out). I then ordered from the menu; my first and second choices were not available so I opted for the home made pate and sat down (the better tables were all reserved). Ten minutes later I was advised that the pate was not available and I was left with only the choice of minted peas soup or nachos. I had been trying to avoid those, but I have to confess the soup was actually quite good! It arrived 30 minutes after originally ordering and I could not see more than one other table occupied and they had arrived before me.

I was enjoying the Rioja and the main course arrived; a large plate with a decent, but undressed, salad and a lasagne in a scorchingly hot dish and chips ditto. I managed to assemble a meal on a plate by juggling with paper napkins and burning myself; this happens all too often. It was all quite edible and pleasant.

I then ordered a desert which had a choice of ice cream or clotted cream; I ordered ice cream and got clotted cream. This was of little importance since I had lost the will to live.

The staff were all extremely pleasant and unhelpful.

I commented that the people who had the reserved tables were going to be disappointed and was told that the tables were only reserved so that they could be set up for the residents for breakfast. How fortunate that I had lost the will to live.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel.