“Fantastic meal”

The Square At Porthleven
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special occasions, Kids, Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Leatherhead, United Kingdom
“Fantastic meal”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2013

I'd not dined at The Square before, so didn't know what to expect, but we came away incredibly satisfied with heavy tummies! Great value for money, excellent quality food and a view of the kitchen! Highly recommend.

Visited November 2013

somerset
“Service is below par”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2013

We made a lunch time visit to the Square last week. The food was fine, not exceptional. We did not have the set menu but choose from the full menu. Unfortunately we had unwittingly chosen the day that the Square does a special "over 60s" lunch. The room was packed and this really impacted on the service.

Whilst we were there we saw 2 couples walk out because they had not had their order taken, this was after 20 minuets.

There were 2 waiting staff, the young lady was certainly working hard and doing more than her fair share, the young man really lacked motivation. I watched him walk back to the kitchen empty handed countless times, whilst there were tables waiting to be cleared.

We asked him for the dessert menu, which he brought promptly. We waited so long for him to take our order that we decided to skip it and left.

This is a great shame as the food at the Square is generally good, just be warned not to go Thursday lunch time, unless of course you qualify for the over 60s menu (we do) and have plenty of time to spare.

• Visited November 2013
2 Thank jjjSomerset
Dudley
“The Square at Porthleven”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

The Square at Porthleven was not going to be one of my favourites, I had decided this before I even went in. The menu sounded OK, but I was disappointed at the time because my favourite restaurant was closed....
Kinda glad it was now, what a lovely place.
The staff were excellent, friendly (but not too friendly), well turned out and very efficient.
The decor was spot on too, clean, bright airy, not too cramped and with a viewing window/service hatch in to the kitchen.
And the food.........WOW, beautifully presented and perfectly seasoned, the taste was sublime.
Prices were good too. They offer a 2 course meal for £15 or a 3 course for £20, prices outside of the offer aren't terrible, but a steak (excellent though it may be) will cost you about £20.
If you are going to Porthleven, or indeed, anywhere near it.....do yourself a favour and head to The Square at Porthleven.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Ian W
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Had improved immeasurably from visit a year ago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My mother treated me to dinner here after a very stressful day and I was not particularly excited about going as last time the meal was not too great. I'm not sure what has happened in the intervening time but it was like a different experience completely! I had a very nice glass of Shiraz recommended by the waitress who seemed to know her wines. I had the potted crab and salmon starter which was very attractively served on a slate and in a wee pot. The main course (which I see someone else complained of in an earlier review) was to die for. I had the Duck leg which was crisp and succulent, with quite the most delicious aubergine and tomato curry. I could have eaten that just by itself. My flat breads were warm, crisp and a perfect accompaniment. Mum had the plaice which she said was perfectly cooked too. Too stuffed for pud, but they sounded lovely too. Nice coffee to finish. The service was efficient and friendly. Its a bit more of a formal dining experience than some other places in Porthleven, but has filled its own niche. Great visit. Can't wait for another stressful day so I can be treated again!

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank noddie11
CORNWALL
“Great Night Great food :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went to The Square Porthleven, 26th of October, after only ever being to Kota before.

It has been reinvented after being called the Lugger ? which never seemed busy and had a un appealing menu, which is why we never had been before.

We checked it out online liked the menu, had good feedback from other family members and so we booked.

And all I can say is what a find !!!

The place is tastefully decorated, the staff where polite and helpful, and the food was excellent.

Between the four of us we had Risotto x 2, Venison, and Haddock and Chips, and no one at our table could find fault with any dish, well cooked well presented, and well eaten by the diners lol.

Oh and desserts to die for !! ;-)

I am at a loss as to why a previous reviewer found it completely the opposite and then did not complain to the manager if he felt it was bad, as if you are unhappy with food anywhere you have the right not to pay ?

But that of course is a personal choice ?

All I can say is its well worth a visit, and we all shall be going back again and highly recommend it to anyone.
:-)

I think Kota may have some stiff competition on their hands lol

• Visited October 2013