“Had improved immeasurably from visit a year ago”

The Square At Porthleven
Ranked #4 of 24 Restaurants in Porthleven
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children, Scenic view, Kids, Special occasions, Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Had improved immeasurably from visit a year ago”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2013

My mother treated me to dinner here after a very stressful day and I was not particularly excited about going as last time the meal was not too great. I'm not sure what has happened in the intervening time but it was like a different experience completely! I had a very nice glass of Shiraz recommended by the waitress who seemed to know her wines. I had the potted crab and salmon starter which was very attractively served on a slate and in a wee pot. The main course (which I see someone else complained of in an earlier review) was to die for. I had the Duck leg which was crisp and succulent, with quite the most delicious aubergine and tomato curry. I could have eaten that just by itself. My flat breads were warm, crisp and a perfect accompaniment. Mum had the plaice which she said was perfectly cooked too. Too stuffed for pud, but they sounded lovely too. Nice coffee to finish. The service was efficient and friendly. Its a bit more of a formal dining experience than some other places in Porthleven, but has filled its own niche. Great visit. Can't wait for another stressful day so I can be treated again!

1 Thank noddie11

CORNWALL
“Great Night Great food :-)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Went to The Square Porthleven, 26th of October, after only ever being to Kota before.

It has been reinvented after being called the Lugger ? which never seemed busy and had a un appealing menu, which is why we never had been before.

We checked it out online liked the menu, had good feedback from other family members and so we booked.

And all I can say is what a find !!!

The place is tastefully decorated, the staff where polite and helpful, and the food was excellent.

Between the four of us we had Risotto x 2, Venison, and Haddock and Chips, and no one at our table could find fault with any dish, well cooked well presented, and well eaten by the diners lol.

Oh and desserts to die for !! ;-)

I am at a loss as to why a previous reviewer found it completely the opposite and then did not complain to the manager if he felt it was bad, as if you are unhappy with food anywhere you have the right not to pay ?

But that of course is a personal choice ?

All I can say is its well worth a visit, and we all shall be going back again and highly recommend it to anyone.
:-)

I think Kota may have some stiff competition on their hands lol

Knutsford, United Kingdom
“Interesting food – some room for improvement”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

There are plenty of interesting dishes on the lunch menu (although it could be better set out as a “set lunch” menu and a la carte). Our starters were well cooked and a generous size. My wife loved her main but my duck was accompanied by an aubergine curry which had become a brown mush and my flat breads were badly burnt. Service was a bit slow – so overall it needs some tweaking, but I would certainly go back.

London, United Kingdom
“Well worth a visit”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 17, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I have had a lovely meal at the square. We both had the potted crab which was delicious, and the I had baked cod and chorizo which was perfect.. Melt in the mouth. My husband had the fish and chips and it was perfect. The best bit was by far my husbands deserts, he had the creme brûlée, which had the most AMAZING ice cream.. Sublime, I had the cheeses and they were smashing, staff were great, attentive but not in your face. The place lacked some atmosphere though. We had actually read a review just before going that said it was terrible and thought about changing our plans... So pleased we didn't! Would recommend. As good as sea drift.

Visited October 2013
1 Thank chazANDdave38
Lancashire
“Excellent time at The Square”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 16, 2013

Excellent food and service at The Square. This was our second visit and it did not disappoint. If you are staying in Porthleven then it's well worth a visit. The restaurant has positioned itself as one of the best in the town.