“Very decent evening”

Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed April 23, 2013

We had planned on visiting The Victoria Inn but as we were in Porthleven for the excellent food festival we booked into The Square instead.

I was disappointed that the pig cheek bubble and squeak wasn't on the menu (I'd read what I now presume to be the example menu outside and got quite excited at the prospect of this dish). However the food we had was still very nice; starters probably better than mains overall but all nice.

The restaurant was full and the atmosphere vibrant.

Only gripe was that service was pretty "laid back" (ok, slow, may have just been as it was busy though). We only had two courses but were in the restaurant for 2hrs. This wasn't a major issue except we were just really hungry! I don't really mind waiting for good food but maybe complimentary bread for the tables might be good if you know there will be a wait for food?

Overall it was a nice evening and I would certainly try The Victoria Inn when next in the area.

Reviewed April 21, 2013

We are great fans of the Victoria Inn and looked forward to our visit to The Square. We visited this restaurant on a cold and rainy Tuesday, and place was empty which affected the overall experience, I think. The food was excellent, well presented, very tasty and good value. However, unlike most reviewers we found the service to be inattentive and very basic.....not what we had anticipated. However, the food is very good and I suspect that on a busier day and with some more experienced front of house staff....this will be a whole different experience.

1  Thank Diand11
Reviewed April 21, 2013

The food was good, the environment clean and restful, and the waitress served us our coffee and food in a pleasant and efficient fashion.
No complaints.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Having parents who live in Cornwall, I welcomed the chance at trying a new restaurant. I knew the owners already owned a pub called The Victoria and this had great reviews, so was keen to see what The Square could offer.
The restaurant is a suitable size with the right amount of tables which creates a nice cosy atmosphere. I would imagine when the weather decides to warm up, the bi fold doors out the front will make a great addition.
The menu was perfect, very cleaver - not too many choices and all local choices, changed on the day clearly to suit what is available on a seasonal basis.
The waitress was very attentive and was helpful to answer any questions. Normally I go to other places in Porthleven, however this will go straight to the top of my favourites pile and we will definately be returning.

Reviewed April 14, 2013

Nowhere nearly as good as the Victoria (same owners) With the low ceiling it is rather too noisy for my taste. The food was served in too much of a rush - is dining out some sort of race these days - and whilst the presentation was excellent the food itself was cold.
It is trying hard but not quite making it. The staff are friendly and attentive - almost to much so

4  Thank Gordon M