“Anothe excellent meal”

Ranked #6 of 26 Restaurants in Porthleven
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed October 20, 2012

Second time we have eaten there this week. The food is excellent, and the ambiance lovely. All staff are very polite and friendly. Would recommend to any one. Will look forward to another meal in march when we come to porthleven again.

Reviewed October 12, 2012

chose to dine here on weds 10th october after reading the menu earlier in the week. boy was it the right choice! to start i had spiced poached pear and blue cheese tart with onion marmalade, and walnuts...this was an absolute taste sensation, and i would have been happy to have it again for my main and again for desert!! however, for main i chose cornish hake, with baby leeks, new potatoes mussels and cappers, again, to die for. and last but by no way least, for desert i had dark chocolate & expresso pot, with a homemade brownie, coffee flavour icecream with a sea salted carmel sauce..the whole lot washed down with a bottle of house white.
my partner is a sous chef up in staffordshire where we hail, and has been in the catering industry from since before leaving school, and she was knocked out by it all. the staff friendly and attentive. we try to find good places to dine in cornwall and have been coming to porthleven for years, and fear that i may be throwing my money away if in future i try elsewhere.
so THE SQUARE @ PORTHLEVEN, thank you to the chefs and waiting on staff, we wish you every success, and are sure if you carry on as you are you will have every success!!! a breath of fresh air!!! bob...stoke on trent.

1  Thank bob b
Reviewed October 8, 2012

After a few bad meals in Cornwall recently we didn't want to get our hopes up but it was the last night of our holiday and we wanted something a bit special so thought we'd give it a go. What a pleasant surprise. The best seafood dish I've had for a very long time. I had hake with garlic and parsley sauce and mussels, my family had the cod and the mushroom risotto. Everyone was impressed. The staff were friendly and checked everything was okay without being intrusive. The food wasn't cheap but a good price for the quality. They've obviously got a very talented chef. My brother would have probably liked a chicken option on the menu but the delicious 'death by chocolate' desert made up for it. My one tiny criticism was the lighting was very bright for an evening and bounced into your eyes from the shiny table. We'll definitely return next time we're on The Lizard Peninsula.

1  Thank NK W
Reviewed October 8, 2012

We tried this new restaurant last week and thought it was excellent, very good service, hardly any waiting. My companion had the sardine starter and although this is not my favourite, even I thought it was very tasty. I then had the brisket which was so tender and delish I just about licked my plate clean, partner had the pork belly which was chunky and tender with a crispy top. My dessert was generous enough for two and we left feeling that Porthleven is quite blessed to have this place in the Village. Just one tiny little thing though, the lighting is a bit harsh, there is a nice atmosphere and the strong lights are detracting just a bit from that.

1  Thank blackieCornwall
Reviewed October 7, 2012

We went here with friends on our first day in Porthleven for lunch. We sat outside to enjoy the beautiful sunny day. Wonderful lunch, beautifully prepared and presented. Who could ask for more, very sunny corner, wonderful view and great food. We had arranged to meet other friends on the next day for lunch, they told us they had already booked which was great. They said that we were going to a relatively new restaurant and they were sure we would enjoy it, guess what, they had booked here as well. When we said we would love to go again they were delighted. So again we had a beautiful lunch, well done. The only thing that I would like to be added to their menu is perhaps a small changeable range of mains, this would give the versatility of a further lunches or dinner using their main menu as a core with perhaps different fish main each day as well. That way other friends could book and we would still be able to enjoy something different. With food prepared in this way they will do nothing but succeed. Thank you for looking after us, we will see you again next visit.

1  Thank ColintGrant