“A good looking hotel from the outside.”
Review of Montemar Maritim

Montemar Maritim
Ranked #5 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
Reviewed August 11, 2013

I had a lovely week overall at this hotel with my family but have to say it really is not a four star graded hotel, the food is very average along with the quality of ingredients, nothing special. I had to pay for the wi-fi and my in room safe, this really needs looking at so behind the times, even if it was free only in the public areas would be better. The fridge in our room did not work, did mention to reception and yes they did repair it quickly along with our patio door that did not lock at all. The lifts were not adequate for the volume of guests. The room and public areas were clean but the decor is rather dated and things need replacing as general wear and tear dose not last forever! Santa Susanna is a great family resort, this is my second visit and would return but would choose a different hotel.

Room Tip: Request a high floor, better views and less noise.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DRSecurity

Reviewed July 31, 2013

Nice enough hotel, good decor and staff who warmed to us once we became familiar.
They charge for anything they can get away with (EG €5 to use the indoor pool, why?), and the drinks are really more expensive than necessary. Local cafes and bars are generally cheaper.
Wifi should not be an extra nowadays, especially when it doesn't work well in many parts of the hotel. The saving grace is that car parking was free.
The main outdoor swimming pool is quite small, so it's a shame that the beach is awkward to access. You have to walk quite a way and go under an unpleasant tunnel below the railway line. Don't even think about going to the beach after dark, it is isolated from the road and, as we found out, is a muggers paradise. We were mugged by 4 black guys from Senegal (we know this because the police actually managed to catch them and retrieve our stolen phone! Top marks to them). There are no warnings given about this, which really is inexcusable. We write this as a warning to anyone considering staying at this hotel, or any of it's neighbours.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank John P
Reviewed July 13, 2013

My 37 year old son & I stayed at this hotel for weekend 5th - 7th July. We flew into Barcelona from Belfast and by went by train from Barcelona Airport to Santa Susanna. The through ticket from the airport was 4.55 single. We changed trains at Barcelona El Clot. When changing trains do not go through ticket barriers. The hotel is just across the road from the station. Check in was easy, the receptionist friendly and spoke English. Dinner on the Friday evening was for geared towards fish eaters with little other attractive choice of main course. The starter salad buffet was very good and the onion soup excellent. The choice of sweet was limited compared with other Spanish hotels I have stayed in. However for Saturday's dinner and Sunday's lunch I had two of the best steaks I have ever eaten in Spain. We liked the token system for purchasing drinks in the restaurant. The prices of drinks in this hotel are very reasonable. The hotel is kept spotlessly clean as was our room. The staff in this hotel are very friendly and efficient. I would make the following suggestions to the management:

1. Provide shampoo, shower gel etc in bathrooms
2. Replace TVs with more modern ones and no 5 euro deposit for remotes
3. Provide free wifi in reception/ pool areas

Apart from Friday's dinner we had no problems with this hotel. and would probably stay there again. The location is excellent being opposite the station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 23, 2013

My husband and I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks in June. My husband has only one leg and is permanently in an electric mobility scooter. The holiday was arranged by Enable and I could definitely recommend this company.

We arrived and our room was ready. The girls on reception were extremely nice and spoke passable English. We had to pay 5 euros for a television remote but got it back at the end of the stay. The safe was about 30 euros I think and we got 5 euros back when we returned the key. Our room was fabulous. It was a disabled room and it was huge with patio windows on two sides leading onto a balcony which overlooked the car park on one side and the service road on the other with hills in the distance. There was a lot of noise from this service road. It serves all the hotels. Sitting on the balcony was not a relaxing experience. Always ask for a room with a sea view! Unfortunately, none of the disabled rooms has a sea view. There were 2 double beds and a single bed in the room but still a lot of room for my husband to manoeuvre his scooter. The beds were extremely comfortable. The bathroom was also huge and had all the grab rails my husband needed and also a seat in the shower. The shower gave out lots of water as well. Not one of these where you need to keep moving to get wet! There was a fridge in the room which held all our bottles of water, coke etc. But no drink making facilities and no iron. One thing which is very obvious is that the hotel is spotless. The cleanliness just couldn't be faulted.
We had half board and the food was ok. There was always something to enjoy even if it was very samey. I don't think anyone ever went to Spain for the food. It is mostly lukewarm on cold plates. Every morning there was someone frying eggs and making omelettes. But then you put it on a cold plate and added lukewarm other things........ There was coffee and tea and juice and cava at breakfast and a toaster. There were lots of different bread rolls and croissants and salad, ham, cheese, yoghurt. For dinner there was always pasta, bolognaise, pizza, chips and usually some chicken dish and a veal dish. Then there'd be vegetables and a rice dish. Someone would be frying fish or pork or vegetables fresh and always salad and bread. There were no drinks available at the evening meal not even water and no coffee to finish. If you wanted any drinks then you had to buy the tokens at reception and use them in the restaurant - very odd! We didn't bother. My husband sometimes took his own bottle of water and nobody said anything. The deserts were mostly the same every night. There was about 6 choices and always fresh and tinned fruit as well. On Fridays they put out a chocolate fountain which was fun. We were luckier than the people in the hotel next but one to ours where, according to a couple we were talking to at the station, they served up rabbit and snail casserole one night.
The pool was nice and very clean. By the evening it had warmed up nicely. There weren't many children there when we were but I imagine it could get crowded in school holidays. There was always a sunbed and umbrella available. You never had to put a towel out at 7 o'clock even when the hotel was full! There weren't many Germans in the hotel though! Most of the guests were from the Netherlands. There were very few English people there when we were. The sunbeds were very uncomfortable. You really need something to put on them. I bought a mat for 8 euros which made it a bit better but another time I would be taking a cheap supermarket single duvet and binning it after the holiday.
I thought the location of the hotel was good. It was on the end of Santa Susannah so there wasn't too much noise but some people may think it too quiet. Every night people set up stands along the front and right down into Santa Susannah selling all the usual stuff. In fact all the dozens and dozens of shops and stands seem to be selling the same stuff! You can walk down to the noisier end and find discos and outdoor music. All the hotels let you go in and listen to the music. The entertainment in the Maritim is pretty abysmal. Don't get me started on the middle aged man in a cape with 2 snakes! There was a magician on the last night who didn't seem too bad but it was all in another language so it was a bit difficult to follow.
The beach opposite the hotel is not nice. It takes a while to get there with the underpass under the trainline and when you get there the sand is golden but quite gritty. There is a lot of mess (cigarette ends, bottles etc....) The beach also shelves steeply into the sea so isn't really suitable for little ones. I went down to the sea once and there was rubbish floating in it. I saw a few tenna ladies in there so didn't venture in! Further into Santa Susanna, the beach is less gritty and more sandy. There are showers on the beach and less mess. People are renting out loungers and parasols but I don't know for how much. There are lots of people there so it must be popular.
What should have been the best thing about our holiday and probably would be if you were able bodied was the train. The station is situated directly opposite the hotel. It couldn't be more convenient. There is virtually no noise from the train because it is all electrified so it doesn't disturb you at all. The fare to Barcelona is 9.1 euros - fantastic value and the trains run every half hour like clockwork. You could explore Barcelona and all places inbetween for very little. However, although all the stations are adapted for the disabled, the trains have very few disabled carriages. You could see 6 trains and there wouldn't be one disabled carriage between them. We went virtually every day to try and get to Barcelona but most days we just gave up after a couple of hours. We did manage it twice in the fortnight but then, of course, we were panicing about whether we'd be able to find a disabled carriage on the way home. They can't even tell you which trains will have a disabled carriage. It's really not good. The tourist information, the hotels and the railway company itself are all aware of this but apparently it's been a problem for a number of years. The trains are very crowded as well so you possibly won't get a seat and the local (or tourist, who knows) youth are not at all inclined to give their seats up so be prepared for a long stand.
There was an indoor pool in the hotel but it was extra to use it and I don't see why you would. It looked very uninteresting, quite bleak. I think there might have been a sauna or steam room as well but you couldn't see it. The animation team, although pleasant enough, didn't seem to have much ooomph! Every day they did the same routine to the same songs (gangnam style anybody?) at the poolside. Every evening they did the same routine to the same songs (Okey Cokey anybody) with the kids in the dance area. They did a free bingo in the afternoon for a bottle of fizz and a darts competition. They didn't entertain as far as I could see and the kids club was a windowless small room. In their defence, the hotel really doesn't have any grounds so they're a bit limited.
So, as you can see, a mixed bag. Loved some things, other things were ok. I would say this is probably a 4* for Spain although I've stayed in 4* in other countries which have been much better but I've never stayed in a better one in Spain.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Chris M
Reviewed May 30, 2013

This hotel was way below expectations. The hotel itself is not bad, but the service was horrible. No matter what question or request you ever have, the answer is always NO. Not even a smile or apology. In addition, everything is $5. If you want to use the indoor swimming pool, $5. If you want a remote control for a century old tv $5. If you want a water with your meal, $5. You only have 2 hours for breakfast (8 to 10 I think) buffet and 2 hours for dinner (7 to 9). And they will kick you out after the time expired. The rooms are not sound proof at all. You always hear anybody walking anywhere on the corridors. In the morning the sound from the breakfast room is awful. The location of the hotel is undesirable. It is far from the main beach and kind of difficult to get to the beach (it will take you at least 15 mins). It is also far from the main touristic area of Santa Susanna, which means long walk to eat out, go out or party. I would certainly not be going back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
6  Thank Vallie I
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Spent a nice holiday week here in May. We are a family of five with teenagers and we got a big family room with a balcony that worked well for us. The environment is pretty quiet and there was just some noise early morning from the carbage collection outside. The hotel offers free parking and there is a nice outdoor pool and a game room. Did not try the indoor pool nor sauna. WLAN connection was good and the price was reasonable, 20€/week.
We had booked halfboard which was really worth it as we got dinners for five people with ~100€/week extra to the room price. Both breakfast and dinner buffets were great and had lots of choice with a chef preparing warm dishes. You didn't really need too much lunch on top of that so it saved a lot of money with three big eating teenage boys.
For Barcelona sightseeing Santa Susanna is a bit far away as it takes an hour by car or 75 min by train. The railway station is located nicely opposite the hotel but does not cause any noise. It is a short drive to Girona airport and nice city of Girona.
All in all, a super choice with the best value for money we have ever got from any hotel anywhere! Would come back any time if looking for a nice holiday in Catalonia.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TampereMan
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We were given a clean and comfortable room with balcony and sea view .. Decor was plain and a little worn ,though still pleasant The facilities were a bit sparse,no tea/ coffee maker or iron, but good shower and comfortable beds. The breakfast was excellent (Even included bubbly if you wanted it ) Staff were pleasant and helpful and at least on reception ,fluently multi lingual . Free parking was a bonus in this area . Being directly opposite the train station was great for getting to Baecelona ( 8.1 euro return, 1 hour duration)

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple