“Good service and good facilities”
Review of Caprici Verd

Caprici Verd
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We family of 2 adults and 2 children (11,8) stayed in this 4 star hotel the last week of October. We arrived in the evening by train from Barcelona and had a quick checkin. Since it was the end of the season and a lot of businesses already closed down and it was also at the end of the strip in Santa Susanna we booked full board. The quality of the food in general was good. Sometimes you have to time things well, since it's buffetstyle. Staff at the restaurant is friendly and well organised. They'll show you to your table and make sure you don't end up with somebody else's leftovers. Drinks are around 2 euros an prices of wine also looked decent.
The room was kept very clean. The facilities were great. Most of the hotels in this area charge you for extras. However in Caprici Verd we had free wifi, free picniclunch for going to Barcelona and free indoor pool (although 2 euros for bathing cap). Our kids loved the warm outdoor jacuzzi. This was a blessing since the regular pool was only 17 degrees at this time of the year.
Overall we were very content with this hotel and were very surprised the hotel was packed at this time of the year.

Room Tip: We booked the standard room. For a few euros more you can book the premium room, that has some extra...
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank jover74

Reviewed October 24, 2012

We arrived around lunchtime on 16th,& although check in was shown as 4pm,we were allowed to use the room (236) immediately.Flying Ryanair meant travelling with a minimum of needs so we rented 2 towels during stay to use in the pools( cost 24 Euros,inc 22 E deposit + 2 E for 1 bathing cap,for indoor pool).
The food was not exciting ,(usually coldish chips or pot slices to accompany an English diet of hot cooked meat)but varied enough to suit most tastes,with sushi,mexican,pizzas etc.
Using the outdoor pool one morning,I found several pieces of glass by a shower & as the weather over several days turned cooler & showery the sun lounger mattresses were removed,& yesterday ,being a nice day,had to be requested by guests.
Although there were signs in various languages requesting guests to shower before swimming,not to dive in or "bomb",they were ignored.
Also the guests using the indoor pool,should have worn bathing caps,my wife using the facility most days ,found people ignoring this also,or using shower caps.
On 2 occasions unaccompanied children,usually boys, used it too without supervision,or caps & also upset a lady with young children by diving & " bombing".
With regard to trips- not having booked via a tour operator ,I asked the gent at reception what trips could be booked -to be given a quizzical look & asked where did I want to go !
With regard to the same chap,I booked a packed "picnic" yesterday,as we were being collected at 4:20am by the airport transfer bus this morning & would miss breakfast.He asked what we would like with regard to sandwiches.I ordered "selection 3",and asked ,as we were going to bed early if they could be collected after the dinner last evening,so we could maybe eat a little before leaving.
He said they could be collected only after midnight last night ! I said that therefore we'd collect them on check out today.
We checked out ,collected the "picnic packs",to find no sandwiched,only a pear, a small pack of biscuits,a small slice of choc cake,a packet of crisps,& a small bottle of water.
There were also some serviettes inside ,with a vile smell,which my wife likened to that of stained "Pampers",which unfortunately seemed to permeate the packaging around the food.
A very disappointing "picnic"experience.
Overall a pleasant relaxing stay otherwise,& a chance to unwind.
A thank you to Olga in reception,who when manning there, was most helpful.

Room Tip: All rooms seem to have a sea view,anything better seemed to attract a premium
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jo2ho
Reviewed October 16, 2012

We and our friends lived at this hotel at August 2012. The meal was real good, but more international then ethnic. Excellent placement near railway, tourist bus station, and tourist information office. Very good bar. Staff were spoke 3-5 languages. Good pool, but the gym was a big disappointment for me. Free WiFi. The sea was a little bit cold for our children (end of August). Rooms: not enough electricity sockets, there is enough space at room, but it's no big enough. Finally: it's a really good place!
P.S For small children, take a pony ride at 15 minutes walk from hotel. Appropriate advertisement you may find at the lobby near reception.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank MichaelDash
Reviewed October 7, 2012

we stayed in Caprici Verd for a week in Sept. The hotel is new and situated end of Santa Suzanna. Just opposite rail station so very easy to hop on and off up and down coast. The rooms are spacious and well equipped...cleaned every day and fresh towels. The staff were lovely and very pleasant. The food was plentiful and lots of choice. All GOOD !!!!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank bevjpage521
Reviewed September 22, 2012

My daughter and her freind stayed here in september 2011 so we knew the location of the hotel and the general overview. The Hotel itself is really nice - the rooms each have 2 double beds with loads of space & a walk in double shower. Each has a small balcony with views either of the pool and see or the mountains.

The pool is fine - a tad cold when you get in but once you are in its fine. There is a small childrens pool and play area and an outside jacuzzi. There are lots of sunbeds and parasols.

Ther is also a small gym with about 8 peices of equipment - and a small indoor pool.

We stayed half board - the breakfast is fine - scrambled eggs - fried eggs - pancakes - little sausages, bacon - tomatoes beans - fresh bread - multiple types of toast - 4 yoghurts - cerials and fruit. Coffe and Tea is from a machine - but OK.

There is a mini club for children and all day animation - not my thing but the russians and gemans seemed to lap it up.

Evening meals - hmm - the hotel is mainly occupied by russians - and the food is very much aimed at them - however every night if you have fussy eaters there are 2-3 different potatoe dishes - 2 x pasta dishes & freshly cooked pizza. The salad is very much like a "harvester" tubs of various fresh salads - & there was always freshly cooked baggettes.

Santa Susanna is very flat - and is great for people with walking difficulties. The hotel itself is situated at the far end of the resort (where all of the spanish rated 4star hotels are) opposite the train station which is great to get into barcelona and other points of interest. It is much quieter at this end - which is why we chose it but a short walk and you can be in the noisier part!

We would stay again but Bed & breakfast - to enjoy quieter eveing meals as the Restaurant is very much a canteen (standard for this part of spain) and I personally like to have my food served to me ! :)

We flew with ryan air - and Low cost holidays and for the price I thought the hotel and location were excellent - and we will return.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the end of the corridoor to avoid corridoor noise
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ADJJJ
Reviewed September 17, 2012

6 of us stayed here in Sept 2012.
My boyfriend and I stayed in a double room, which had two double beds in and was very spacious and clean. We had a room at the side of the hotel, but still had a seaview and also a view of the hills, (you can go on an hour long train ride to the top of the hills for 4 euros, well worth it, the views were fab!). The room was cleaned every day, unless you hang a "do not disturb sign" on the door. Bathroom was very clean and spacious, with a large walk in shower and toiletaries provided.

Food at the hotel was great, we stayed half board, so had breakfast (8am - 10am) and evening meal (7pm - 9.30pm) every day. If you want to go out for the day and won't make it back for the evening meal the hotel will provide you with a packed lunch.
The breakfast buffet included fry ups, crossaints, pastries, cereals, museli, yogurts, juices, coffees/teas, toast, and even pancakes!!
The dinner buffet varied every day, but included things such as burgers, fish, paella, salads, different meats, hotdogs, rice dishes, pastas and cakes, jellies, icecreams and fruits for desserts. They hold 3 themed dinners a week, when we were there they held spanish, oriental and fish themed evenings. The week before was mexican, spanish and indian themes.

The pool at the hotel is lovely, and there is a heated jacuzzi and childrens pool outside with the main pool. The loungers with matresses on are verrry comfy and free to use. The indoor pool and jacuzzi looked very nice, but I did not use them. You need to purchase a swimming cap to use the indoor pool. There's also a gym next to the indoor pool. There's pool tables, table football, table tennis and a little arcade in the hotel too.

Drinks prices at the bar are resonable, 2 euros for a bottle of Estrella beer, however I do recommend a visit to Carrefour, a big supermarket about a 10 minute walk behind the hotel (the reception staff directed us to it, very helpful!). A crate of six bottles of Estrella beer was just over 2 euros, bargain!!! Everything else in there was well priced too.

The area of Santa Susanna/Malgrat itself is very nice, you do have to go under a subway to reach the beach due to the train line, but theres a lot of them dotted down the promenade.
The beach is shingle, so quite rough to walk on. The beach outside the hotel is quite small, but if you walk towards malgrat it becomes bigger and has bars/shops/sun lougers etc. on it. Watch out for the people walking round the beach selling sunglasses/coconut/bags etc though as they are quite annoying!!!
Lots of shops and restaurants along the promenade, a good english pub to look out for is The Drunken Duck, good prices for drinks and the landlord is really nice!
Theres a nice market all the way to Malgrat every evening from about 7pm, it starts outside the hotel.
Also the train station is right outside the hotel, we took the train to Barcelona, which took about an hour and 10 minutes, and was very cheap. Trains to Barcelona are about every half an hour throughout the day.

The only area I'd mark the hotel down on is the entertainment. It wasn't terrible, but not amazing either. There were discos, bingo, singers, flamenco dancers etc.

Overall we had a fantastic holiday in Santa Susanna and a great stay at the Caprici Verd. :)

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank allyson b
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked this hotel in February, after a week of careful research (only on Santa Susana hotels since we made plans to meet friends from another country who got a package deal for hotel Caprici). We only have 3 very particular demands - cleanliness, good A/C and proper internet (my husband has to have access for his work, and I need to communicate with family and friends - we have been traveling for the last 8 month, therefore skype and FB are a must).
The cleanliness is ok. But as I am a sort of Monica (yes, the one from Friends - couldn't think of a better way to describe it) when it comes to sanitary conditions so I of course found something to mention. The Bathroom floor had marks on it so it didn't make impression of spotless. However, everything else in the bathroom was very clean and no strange hairs were found in the bed, so it's not all that bad. Something I noticed later - there was a lot of dust in the room, even after they cleaned it (a few days after we checked in).
The A/C is a huge deal for us as we both really hate being hot and sweaty. When we entered the room we immediately turned it up on the lowest temp to cool off, but nothing happened. It took us hours to cool the room, and its never cold enough! I think the temp control doesn't really exist. The only thing you get to control is the fan speed. So as usual you have 3 stages, but the temp is always the same (probably 25C). I suspect it works like that in most hotels in Europe, but that doesn't make it ok in my opinion.
Regarding the internet. When we were looking to book, the hotel offered internet access for 15$ for week I think. Since we need it, and since it was almost the only hotel who offered WiFi at all (if you are an American traveling to Europe - be prepared - it is nothing like home) we booked a room and were happy knowing our demand for internet access will be met. When checking in we were pleasantly surprised to find that the WiFi is now free of charge. However, when we got to our room we realized why. It is the slowest connection EVER! Yes, it is even slower then in dial up you had in the 90's! And as if it's not annoying enough - it gets disconnected all the time. Of course Skype is useless under these conditions - for me it's a huge disappointment, since I use it to talk to my grandparents. We usually video chat at least 3 times a week, but I couldn't even make a regular call :(
One last thing that really bothered me was the coffee issue. I'm used to be able to have coffee (or tea) when I wake up. Unlike usually, in this hotel there is nothing to make coffee/tea with. And if that is not enough - there is NOWHERE to buy it either. The hotel bar opens at 9AM, and the coffee shop outside the hotel opened at 8AM. I'm not an early bird, but I had to wake up at 6:30 once (to leave for a day trip), and I ended up leaving without waking up. Highly annoying.
Other then that the room is pretty spacious - there is a very big closet and balcony with partial sea view (almost all rooms have it). The bed is not that comfy, so If you have back problems it's not the best choice. Also you can hear everything thats going on in the hall so if you are a light sleeper you will not sleep all that well here. In the mornings the cleaning staff makes A LOT of noise so it's impossible to sleep in. We attempted to do so once but gave up around 10.
The TV is old and tiny. We don't mind since we hardly use it, but if you're one if those people who likes watching movies - this is not the one to choose. The pool looks big enough but my friends who used it said it had way too much chlorine. However, since I don't use it I cant really add anything significant.
The staff is ok. Not too nice, but not rude either.
The food is not too great. We only got breakfast and it's very reach. There is everything people usually have for breakfast - eggs, bacon, beans, crepes, pastry, all kinds of bread, cereal, yogurt, fruits and veggies, but it's not great tasting. My husband (who loves food) wouldn't eat most of it, but I guess it's not the worst breakfast. The couple we met with stayed at Hotel Caprici across the street, and they are not too happy about the food either.
Also, it turned out that Santa Susana doesn't really have good restaurants. Even the hotel reception sent us to the next town. There are plenty of places, but none of them worth mentioning (as far as we understood). On the other hand, the train (that connects Barcelona and all the touristy towns like this) along the coast is very efficient and it stops right in front of the hotel.
To sum up, we did not exactly enjoy our stay in this hotel, but I'm not sure there is anything better around there. And yes, I have been to better hotels for that price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple