“Very disappointing”

Caprici Verd
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 8, 2012

We booked this hotel in February, after a week of careful research (only on Santa Susana hotels since we made plans to meet friends from another country who got a package deal for hotel Caprici). We only have 3 very particular demands - cleanliness, good A/C and proper internet (my husband has to have access for his work, and I need to communicate with family and friends - we have been traveling for the last 8 month, therefore skype and FB are a must).
The cleanliness is ok. But as I am a sort of Monica (yes, the one from Friends - couldn't think of a better way to describe it) when it comes to sanitary conditions so I of course found something to mention. The Bathroom floor had marks on it so it didn't make impression of spotless. However, everything else in the bathroom was very clean and no strange hairs were found in the bed, so it's not all that bad. Something I noticed later - there was a lot of dust in the room, even after they cleaned it (a few days after we checked in).
The A/C is a huge deal for us as we both really hate being hot and sweaty. When we entered the room we immediately turned it up on the lowest temp to cool off, but nothing happened. It took us hours to cool the room, and its never cold enough! I think the temp control doesn't really exist. The only thing you get to control is the fan speed. So as usual you have 3 stages, but the temp is always the same (probably 25C). I suspect it works like that in most hotels in Europe, but that doesn't make it ok in my opinion.
Regarding the internet. When we were looking to book, the hotel offered internet access for 15$ for week I think. Since we need it, and since it was almost the only hotel who offered WiFi at all (if you are an American traveling to Europe - be prepared - it is nothing like home) we booked a room and were happy knowing our demand for internet access will be met. When checking in we were pleasantly surprised to find that the WiFi is now free of charge. However, when we got to our room we realized why. It is the slowest connection EVER! Yes, it is even slower then in dial up you had in the 90's! And as if it's not annoying enough - it gets disconnected all the time. Of course Skype is useless under these conditions - for me it's a huge disappointment, since I use it to talk to my grandparents. We usually video chat at least 3 times a week, but I couldn't even make a regular call :(
One last thing that really bothered me was the coffee issue. I'm used to be able to have coffee (or tea) when I wake up. Unlike usually, in this hotel there is nothing to make coffee/tea with. And if that is not enough - there is NOWHERE to buy it either. The hotel bar opens at 9AM, and the coffee shop outside the hotel opened at 8AM. I'm not an early bird, but I had to wake up at 6:30 once (to leave for a day trip), and I ended up leaving without waking up. Highly annoying.
Other then that the room is pretty spacious - there is a very big closet and balcony with partial sea view (almost all rooms have it). The bed is not that comfy, so If you have back problems it's not the best choice. Also you can hear everything thats going on in the hall so if you are a light sleeper you will not sleep all that well here. In the mornings the cleaning staff makes A LOT of noise so it's impossible to sleep in. We attempted to do so once but gave up around 10.
The TV is old and tiny. We don't mind since we hardly use it, but if you're one if those people who likes watching movies - this is not the one to choose. The pool looks big enough but my friends who used it said it had way too much chlorine. However, since I don't use it I cant really add anything significant.
The staff is ok. Not too nice, but not rude either.
The food is not too great. We only got breakfast and it's very reach. There is everything people usually have for breakfast - eggs, bacon, beans, crepes, pastry, all kinds of bread, cereal, yogurt, fruits and veggies, but it's not great tasting. My husband (who loves food) wouldn't eat most of it, but I guess it's not the worst breakfast. The couple we met with stayed at Hotel Caprici across the street, and they are not too happy about the food either.
Also, it turned out that Santa Susana doesn't really have good restaurants. Even the hotel reception sent us to the next town. There are plenty of places, but none of them worth mentioning (as far as we understood). On the other hand, the train (that connects Barcelona and all the touristy towns like this) along the coast is very efficient and it stops right in front of the hotel.
To sum up, we did not exactly enjoy our stay in this hotel, but I'm not sure there is anything better around there. And yes, I have been to better hotels for that price.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Maya L

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We had a great 6 days of chilling around the pool at hotel. The hotel had a great restaurant, I am a vegetarian but always found something with lots of variety I'm not saying it was the best ever food ive had but it was ok.
The rooms were very spacious and spotlessly clean. As was the hotel itself.
The resort was a little quiet but ok for a few days. On the whole an enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank JUSTINE W
Reviewed August 30, 2012

We stayed in Aug 2012 and loved this hotel and would return if given the chance, the hotel is situated at the end of the promenade of santa susana, very quiet at night but with all u need on your doorstep, the hotel is very clean and staff are pleasent and polite and speak engish well, there is a large pool, bubble pool and baby pool there is no problem getting beds as leaving towels on loungers before 9 is not alowed especially on the premium loungers which have mattreses (no charge to use just more comfy) ps the hotel ses to cater really well for the disabled . we stayed half board with two kids under 5, the food was very good with the menu changing each night drinks included with breakfast but not evening meal, loads of high chairs also the staff are happy for u to have a lunch instead of evening meal if you fancy eating out at night a couple of times they will even make a packed lunch if going on a day trip and will miss a meal, there is a safe in the room which was €24 for two weeks and also a small lockable fridge, a ten min walk from the hotel you will find a Lidl where you can get all your basic shopping cheap and coke ect is €1 for 2L and water .20c for 1.5L so worth going as at the resort its considerably more. Trains to barcelona leave from outside the hotel and we paid €24 for 2 adults and one child (5) and baby was free. Market day is tue and starts on the road outside the hotel until midday, and in adition small stalls set up each night on the walk down to malgarat,
all in all a very good hotel with good value for money recomended!!

• Stayed: August 2012
3  Thank Bobsimes2012
Management response:Responded September 4, 2012

Good day Mr. Bobsimes2012. From the management of Caprici Verd we appreciate your remarks and thank you for the time you have spent on commenting your experience. We are glad you and your family had a good time with us and hope to see you all back in Caprici Verd soon.

Reviewed August 3, 2012 via mobile

Best thing about this hotel was our premium room, large walk in shower, v clean, quite spacious, 2 double beds. Breakfast was great. We only had dinner here on the night we arrived & found having to pay for drinks while dining quite annoying. Staff were accommodating. Bar staff were efficient & can make great cocktails. Great entertainment for kids so def a great hotel for families. Pool area was very spacious & not too busy. Plenty of sun beds, only some with mattresses which were v comfortable. V close to beach, however it's a shingle beach so we spent no time there. Train station across the road so v convenient to travel to Barcelona. However train only goes as far as blanes which was disappointing as we would have liked to visit begur & surrounding areas; we didn't as it meant getting 2 trains & a bus. If you would like to see plenty of the costa brava one would def need to hire a car. We were glad we stayed in Santa susanna & not malgrat or Pineda. If all you want is a quiet relaxing holiday then this hotel is an ideal choice

• Stayed: June 2012
2  Thank amoeba_12
Reviewed July 29, 2012

We stayed in this hotel from the 28th of June until the 6th of July, and I must say that everything was up to scratch. The rooms are neat and tasteful, quite spacious and comfortable. The restaurant was very good, especially at the dinner services, where we could choose from a large variety of dishes. The whole hotel is spotless, even my wife who has a nearly obsessive cleanliness fear said so. I couldn't honestly ask for more for a coastal hotel in Spain. Will go again for sure!

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank johna_manu
Reviewed July 9, 2012

As a family of 3 we stayed here from 24th june to 6th july for a holiday and also a music festival which takes place in Callella.Our review is similar to most other peoples but feel the need to review anyway.The hotel itself is lovely, have stayed in slightly better but which cost more.Overall the hotel itself i would definately agree with its 4 star rating.Fantastic pool with varying depths but never more than 1.5 metres.Heated jacuzzi and small kids pool.Life guards on duty through out the day.Depending which one was on was whether there were available sunbeds or not.Quite funny to see her removing towels off 'reserved' sunbeds as your not supposed to leave towels on and she was pretty strict on this.Lovely area to sunbathe in and also know your kids are safe.Times have changed since the 90's and for the better too.The predominant nationality is russian/east european and a lot of dutch.Very friendly and more courteous although at meal times there will always be exceptions.As said by others the meals are what really lets this hotel down.I dont want egg and chips every night but nor do i want pork cooked in 3 different ways either!...But what i do want is hot food,we'd have settled for warm most nights but this was sadly lacking.I think the main problem is their trying to please too many pallets of nationality.That said theres is plenty of salad,fruit and deserts but the deserts,as with the main courses,were very bland,distinct lack of seasoning and again certainly temperature.Drinks needed paying for when served and at 1.85 euros for 50cl of water was a tad steep when totted up over 12 nights..As for the rooms we were very happy with ours,we had room 133 which was on first floor and over looking the pool,Good sized wardrobe for 2 but pushing it for 3 and not enough hangers really.Beds quite hard but we slept great every single night.This was again helped with black out curtain in addition to normal curtain so no chance of waking early due to light coming in.The soundproofing from the door was also excellent and also note that the door has a sensor so needs to be shut for air con to work.We were expecting an iron in the room but there wasnt one and being english we love a good brew especially first thing so a £5 kettle from argos was invaluable and the cleaner was happy to accept this when we left :).The bathroom had a great walk in shower which was powerful and hot water aplenty and a hair dryer although not very powerful.Big mirror and 2 power points so good for straightners etc.We went to a music festival in callella and werent getting back til 4.30 am but had to use the back of hotel to get back in.We obviously put the 'do not disturb' sign on the door but the maids always seemed to ignore this for whatever reason.The evening entertainment in the hotel is shockingly bad,maybe the foreign kids like it but being 42 and an old punk it was laughable.A nice stroll down through santa susanna was fine for us with lots of shops,bars and street stalls on the promenade on an evening.The main kids club catered for Russian kids but upstairs there is also a kids club which the animation team run,the room was good with plenty to do and the young girls did a great job...BUT...and there is always a but...we left our 9 year old son with them one lunch time so we could have a peaceful lunch,told the girls this and that we would be about 1 1/2 hours and they said fine, we came back to find that he'd not only been to reception,been given another key card for the room,but also got his towel and swimming things and gone swimming unsupervised by the girls!...he's 9! needless to say we didnt leave the hotel again although we did let him go to the club as we were still in the hotel.The girls are great but dont think you can leave your kids and go out. Train station right outside over the road and only cost 4.30 euros each to get from airport to hotel and same back.A third of the cost of a resort hoppa shuttle and so simple.airport to el clot station then down the escalator to get blanes train.Really simple and cheap.

Room Tip: we were in room 133,first floor with central perfect pool view with great sun from 3pm ish til 8pm.S...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I booked this Hotel after reading some of the reviews here and I have to say I have very mixed feelings about the hotel.
I booked a superior room which looked out at the front and to the sea and we were very pleased with it, getting good sun on the balcony from first thing untill about 3pm which was good for us to relax in before we ventured out for the afternoon, we are seniors and not into laying by the pool getting fried all day. The bathroom was very good with a walk in shower, powerful and lots of hot water at all times of the day, ample towels and hairdryer. The beds, both doubles, are comfortable. There was a good size flat screen tv with BBC1 and ITV1. The storage and hangers are plentyful with a safe at a nominal extra charge.The fridge was good and for private use at no charge. We had 2 swipe style keys on request.
The parking is safe, free and secure with a swipe card at 20 euro returnable deposit.
Now the Hotel in general.
If you have a young family I would say its good, with staffed play rooms and what looked like a good safe pool.
The hotel as a building is very bland and empty looking, It has one massive room that combines the bar, the pool tables, the concert room and relaxation area. The 'entertanment' that we saw was bad and we got out the hotel asap on an evening, heading for santa susana centre, which is quite a treck if your knocking on in years.
The restaurant and food are in my oppinion not 4* at all, The evening dress code in general seemed to be flipflops, shorts and t shirts. The food was really not good at all and if its busy you will have soup dishs and plates pileing up on the table while your eating your sweet. If you get any drinks you will have to pay on the spot. Overall i'd say it is more of a canteen than a retaurant.
This hotel is on the outskirts of town but handy for the railway across the road. If you plan to go to Barcelona by rail plan your times as at peak time you can end up stood up for the whole journey which is just over 1 hour and 8 euro (remember to frank your ticket in the box outside the ticket office or you could end up with a fine) though no-one ever checked ours.
All in all I wouldn't stay here again or recomend it to couples but ok for young familys. If you normal pick a 4* type hotel you will be disappointed here.

Room Tip: I'd recomend the superior rooms at the front of the hotel
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple