“Read my Review before booking” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of H.TOP Royal Sun

H.TOP Royal Sun
Ranked #13 of 21 Hotels in Santa Susanna
Annan, United Kingdom
“Read my Review before booking”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 9, 2013

I do believe people should make their own opinion but please read my review. My friend and I both in our late 40's went on holiday to this hotel, It was the second time at the same hotel, 3 years ago it was everything we wanted for our short vacation, NOT this time. We arrived about 3:30pm at the hotel the girl on the reception put her hand out and said passport, NO eye contact NO hello or a smile, we handed them over, she them started to talk about the restaurant times unfortunately I was struggling to under stand what she was saying to us that I said one moment I'm sorry I don't understand what was being said, we'll she did not like that and just handed the leaflet to us, when I eventually wanted to read the leaflet it was in German and not English. We got our key went up the lift not too sure if we were on the right level as the numbers in the lift did not light up and there was no sign when the lifts opened to say what level we were on. We unlocked the door and the room was nothing I requested (sea view), I went back down stairs with my conformation email saying I requested a sea view again the same girl said we would have to pay 30euro (maybe 20euro struggled to understand) per night I asked if there was one available she replied yes, I asked could I not have it since I did request one, she said I would have to pay Grrrr. Went back to our room left the bags as we were hungry. Down at the restaurant there was snack as we missed lunch fair enough, chips nuggets, burger, fish balls, lettuce, tomato and crusty bead. As we were so hungry we took what we needed sat down as my friend needed to take medication with water/juice. We asked the lady who was going about for some she said “no drinks, up stairs”. We were so shocked 4 star and nothing to drink juice tea or coffee. I asked her again if she could have water and again “no up stairs”, fine we ate little as we both very thirsty. We went up stairs produced our 2 all-inclusive tickets ans ordered two drinks, we couldn't have drinks as were have to give them the two green cards that come with your other card as they get you a glass, YES you need a green card to get a glass and at the end of the day you take your glass back and they give you your green card for the next day.
MEALS
Now I'll try food when away as it is always good as the hotel previously has been of a good standard I was so shocked as to what was on offer. The chips were cold (every day and went at different times) I got potato HOWEVER they were always served in carrots and Brussels sprouts. None of the staff said hello or made eye contact we felt a little uneasy by this every day.

STAFF
If theses staff were mine they would be sacked, if I owned the hotel the managers would be sacked. It has nothing to do with what star rating, being polite to customers is top of the list, cant say hello even in your on language smile make eye contact something to make me want to come back.

***Jordi in the bar and Segi outside were polite helpful and if you take time to watch very professional in their duties

ROOM
2 Euros for a fridge in your room is extra, I didn't know this I was told by another guest.
20 Euros deposit to have the remote control for the TV, YEP you cant watch TV in a 4 star hotel without putting 20euris down as deposit. Our room was very clean

We went to the hotel next door Mar Mediterrania to have a look around the staff were everything I want from a 4 star hotel as were the rooms, next year we are booking at the hotel next door, Mar Mediterrania

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
3 Thank Anne Marie H
HTOPHotels, Director of Sales at H.TOP Royal Sun, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear client,

We apologize if we were not able to fulfill your expectations. We consider that our staff is very polite and professional, however if you consider that this time we were not as good as in your previous visit we will take your comments into consideration. Regarding your request, there is a charge for a sea view room, and even if we would like to , we cannot guarantee every sea room request, as most of our clients express the same desire. If you decide to come here again we will do our best to make sure that you get a sea view room.

Best regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2013

We were very disappointed on this our second stay at this hotel. The staff on all fronts were very polite. however the food selection was poor for lunch and dinner with 2 choices for main course and no grilled food available. Canned beet root, carrots was offered. Breakfast was equally disappointing with only pre fried eggs and bacon and slices of salami and only 2 choices of bread and low quality. The drinks quality offered was good but there is a strick glass policy and you submit your empty glass or plastic cup to get another drink. Avoid this hotel if you want to enjoy your holiday.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel .
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank George T
HTOPHotels, Director General at H.TOP Royal Sun, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear Mr George

We apologize if our food selection was not up to expectations this time, we do take your comments into consideration and we try to improve it in the future. Regarding the glass system, we apologize if that caused you any inconvenience, but we consider that the results are improving our service. We hope to see you again in the future.

Travelers are raving about these Santa Susanna hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 3, 2013

I've just got back from a week away at the Htop Royal Sun and it did not disappoint...
The location is absolutely fab and we couldn't of asked for a better view from our balcony, overlooking the pools and a sea view.
The rooms are dated but who wants to spend hours on end in the room anyway?? Comfty bed though and always cleaned well.
The food was good and we always had a good meal and plenty to eat when eating in.
People moaning about the All inclusive card system (it ain't rocket science).. You get two cards pp, one you give to go behind the bar and the other you keep on you and take it each time you go for another drink, take the empty glass with you, no biggie! The bar staff are amazing (special shout out to George and Giovanni) treat them with respect and you'll get massive laughs and kindness and if you sit at the bar you certainly don't wait for a drink or have to queue. When our glasses were empty, they filled it straight away and always remembered what we were drinking.
The beach bar was lush and views were great.
You do get dropped off the other side of the road and have to use a subway to get to the hotel but it does have a ramp, not just stairs! Small price to pay when you see the location and back of hotel/beach bar. Never had a problem with reception staff, always helpful.
My advice is treat all staff the way you would like to be treated, it gets you a long way. If staff are rude to you, then just maybe you were rude and disrespectful to them (I witnessed this myself with one guest).. Practice your holà, gracias and senoŕ and it'll be very much appreciated.

Well hope this review helps and we hope to return to The Royal Sun next year.

• Stayed May 2013
9 Thank PaulandSammy
HTOPHotels, Director Comercial at H.TOP Royal Sun, responded to this review, June 6, 2013
Dear client

We are extremely thankful for your more tan nice comments, receiving this kind of compliments is what makes our jobs easier. We do expect you to come back as soon as possible; please make sure to contact our booking department once you booked as we are willing to make our best to make your holiday even better!!.

Sheffield, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

Returned home from this holiday 30th may never again, it was terrible. Rooms were awful in need of modernisation, not clean, food terrible, paid for half board but ate out all the time, this is never a 4 star hotel!!!!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Bev O
Dear client,

We apologize if we were not able to fulfill your expectations. We expect to see you in the next future in order to change this wrong impression. Please do not hesitate to inform our booking department if you decide to come again, we are willing to do our best to make your next stay more enjoyable.

Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

Was a little bit worried when read some of the reviews before our holiday but I'm pleased to say we enjoyed our stay.The room was clean and fresh towels every day , food was nice plenty of choice my only fault was it could have been hotter ( there was a microwave if u wanted) staff were friendly and helpful I would go stay here again : )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank JaNorm
Dear client

Thank you very much for your kind comments. We hope to see you again in the very next future. Please contact our booking department when booking again, we try to make sure that your next stay is even better than the first one. We are proud to have many clients who have been visiting us for over 20 years, we will try to make sure that you join that club!

Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

6 ladies we had booked a weekend away holiday with easy jet to the hotel Amaika in Calella, this was booked september 2012. when we arrived at the hotel May 24th 2013 we were told we had cancelled the booking, even though we had all the confirmation with us,

we spoke with a few peple while waiting all to be sorted, we got the impression we were part of a scam, they over book the Amaika then when you arrive they palm you off to one of there other hotels that they can not fill. yes i have complainned, it will be interesting what the out come will be.

the young receptionist told us many probelms at the hotel. the older one did not want to know. after contacting easy jet on my mobile they confirmed we had booked but there was no rooms avaliable. ths is when your heart starts to beat and have visions of sleeping on the beach.
eventually we were given taxi's to the Royal Sun, manly a family hotel. we are aged 45 to 58. we stood out like a sore thumb.we enjoyed our weekend but no thanks to easy jets holiday.

the food was under par cold, well that was not quiet true the toast that you do your self was hot,and ridiculous choices, one evening there were curled up sandwiches. another time a plate of bread covered in what looked like tomato sauce. you needed to see it to believe it.

the rooms are basic. peeling wallpaper, we had rooms at the back over looking the railway line and yes they do run during the night. the hotel next door is new and yes they are still working on the road lovely drilling noise.

the beach bar well under staff so un-organised . i think i waited 10 minutes for a drink. and if you wanted food this you had to pay for. one thing though it was hot.

the area is quiet and nothing to do, we were un lucky with the weather. a few shops a train. this hotel had no Spa which is another reason why we had booked the Amaika.

Room Tip: just choose another hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear client,

We apologize if we were not able to fulfill your expectations. We are sorry if you could not stay in the hotel that you booked in first place, probably that inconvenience gave you a wrong impression about our hotel, as you were not planning to come here. We expect you to come to the Royal Sun as first choice in the next future, as we are sure that you would have a wonderful time; and we hope that you are luckier with the weather (although we cannot guarantee that..)

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2013

I stayed here in may 2013 as a single parent with my 8yr old son. First impressions hotel was dated but otherwise clean. Staff were friendly and helpful. Rooms were basic but comfortable. My problem was the entertainment. The so called kids club was colouring in for half hour in the morning! That's it. Although there was a full daytime activity board none of these actually took place! Animacion team was 2 girls who were there in the morning for about an hour then didn't return til 9pm for minidisco. The pool was freezing. My son and other children were bored. I had to spend way more money than I expected to for an all inclusive holiday by taking him out to give him something to do. The food was average what I expected. The location is good but u get dropped off at the side of the road and u need to make a trip under a subway with stairs with your luggage to get to the hotel. I personally wouldn't stay here again and I feel costa brava is rubbish.

• Stayed June 2012
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Dear client

We thank you for your positive comments regarding our main services. Unfortunately, we cannot offer the same children entertainment in every period of the year, we would like you to come back in high season when our children entertainment is really fantastic. Besides, that would give you the opportunity to discover the beauty of the Costa Brava.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Santa Susanna
Aqua Hotel Aquamarina & Spa
Aqua Hotel Aquamarina & Spa
#4 of 21 in Santa Susanna
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,056 reviews

Been to H.TOP Royal Sun? Share your experiences!