Just got back last night from the Sandos San Blas. Went with my husband and four year old son. We all thoroughly enjoyed our holiday.
The hotel is lovely, it exceeded our expectations. Even though, we knew it was classed as a five star resort we weren't expecting this to be the case. Saying that, if you wanted to be really picky, you would probably class this hotel as a good four star.
The room was one of the nicest we have stayed in and we have stayed in some luxury hotels before. The decor was contemporary with a decent sized Samsung LCD TV. This had all the main English channels (BBC1, BBC2, ITV, CH4, Five) plus BBC3, CBeebies and CITV. There were two small double beds pushed together and they were very comfortable. My son was on a large sized sofa bed which was made up for him when we arrived. The maid's were very good, they never disturbed us and the rooms were cleaned very well each day. The bathroom.... I wish I could transport it back home, especially the shower which was a large walk in one with a huge shower head with constant hot water and very high pressure. There is also a very good hand held shower head which was ideal for our young son to have a shower. There is also a bath which is ideal for young babies/children. The wardrobe space was ideal and there is a digital safe. Outside we had a large terrace, with two nice chairs and a table.
There are eight swimming pools in total, I think two of them were heated. We stayed at the heated pool near the pool bar. There are plenty of sunbeds at each pool therefore no fighting for sunbeds in the morning!
There were a decent variety of drinks at all of the bars to have including beer, cocktails, non alcoholic cocktails, soft drinks, water, coffee/tea etc. We didn't have to show our room cards to get the drinks. You just go and ask for what you want at the bar. You can also get small ice cream tubs from each of the pool bars. You just help yourself. At night, in the lobby bar (which apart from the bar in the nightclub/show lounge) is the only bar opened at this time, there are waiters/waitresses going around taking orders for drinks. The lobby bar has comfortable chairs both inside and out, on the verandah. Inside, there are two areas, one with a large screen TV where they mostly showed football matches (English and foreign) and the other area where they usually had a singer/guitarist etc.
The food which was buffet food was of a good quality. I'm not keen on buffet food but I mangaged to find something nice to eat at each mealtime. They have lots of fresh salads on offer, a different themed evening meal, like italian, brazilian, canarian, fish, chinese with cooking stations. On one side was the meat and vegetarian food and the other side was fish and fresh pizza and pasta dishes, with two choices of soup as well. There is ice cream and about ten types of cake-like desserts, cheesecake, brownies, mousse type cakes and cream puff type cakes. You could have basically what you wanted to drink at the meal, just ask the waiter who lays and clears your table. My husband loved the buffet and as he likes fish and doesn't get it much at home (as I don't like it) he managed to stuff himself with loads of different types of fish, some that he had never heard of before. I don't think he has ever eaten so much food for seven days before! Fortunately, our son isn't a fussy eater, so he ate practically everything we got for him including things he'd never tried before. Please be aware that no shorts are allowed for the men in the evening. It is still quite casual though. My husband wore jeans, shoes and polo tops/shirts, generally what he wears at home at night.
The hotel is very clean and has an area for sports activities including football, volleyball, tennis and climbing on the climbing wall. This area is all sand on the floor. There isn't a beach across the road from the hotel, it is just rocks with a few random sunbeds on the flattest area! There is also a boating lake with about three kayaks that you can use, which at certain times of the day (listed in the activities program) you can row about on the lake for a bit. Ideal for my son and husband to pass some time in the afternoons.
At night, the entertainment was in the underground nightclub/show lounge. There is a mini disco for the children at 9pm-10pm, which we went to once and was very good. But we did find that by that time our son was tired and becoming grumpy. I think maybe 8pm-9pm may have been a better time for the children. The adult shows were on at 10pm onwards. We never watched any of these. In the day, there is an activities program and a children's club. The children's club hours were 10am-1.30pm and then 3pm-5pm. You could go in and out of the club as and when you wanted. My son mostly went in the morning and he had his face painted a couple of times, did lots of painting and craft type things, played games like hopscotch etc, dominoes, building with large plastic bricks and went to the activities area to play in the sand and watch the climbing. The staff spoke English (not fluently) and were very good. You signed the children in and out and let them know where you would be, if any problems. At first, after a couple of hours,my son wanted to know where his Mum & Dad were, so one of the staff members came a found us and we signed him out.
There is a mixture of nationalities. Mostly, Spanish & British with some Germans, Dutch and Russians. There are a lot of families with young babies/children. It didn't really bother us because we have a 4 year old! But you could see that some people didn't really like this, especially sitting in the same areas as them at lunch, dinner time etc. and in the bar at night.
There are quite a lot of planes going overhead, as you are only five/ten minutes from the airport, mostly through the daytime and the odd one at night. They are quite loud but we found it quite a novelty, especially our son who loved pointing them out to us!
Overall, we had a nice relaxing holiday in the sun at this hotel and would definitely go back again to chill out for a week.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf All Inclusive is located in the San Blas Enviromental Reserve, beside two golf courses and seafront. The bedrooms are spacious with a terrace and have bathroom with bath tub, shower and hairdryer. Every guest room is soundproof, and offers satellite TV, stereo, Internet connection, minibar (extra charge), air conditioned, safe, phone and free WiFi. The complex has eight pools, a gym and a terrace with loungers and umbrellas, as well as two poolside bars. It also has aqua-aerobics, spa and sauna. The reception is 24 hour, and offers safe and currency exchange. The hotel also has a cafe-bar, a newspaper stand, a hair salon, a night club, a theater, a TV room, a restaurant, a conference room, free WiFi connection room, room service, laundry service (extra charge), a playground and free parking. Separate activities are organized for kids and adults alike. The hotel offers tennis (extra charge), ping-pong, beach volley, golf (extra charge), biking and aerobics classes. You can also row on the property's lake. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, getaroom.com, HotelQuickly and HRS so you can book your Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sandos San Blas Hotel Reserva Ambiental And Golf
- Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf Tenerife, Spain