“Sandos San Blas 2014”

Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Reading, United Kingdom
“Sandos San Blas 2014”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Second stay at this hotel. Excellent location. Shops within a short walk with friendly vendors and Hatties tea shop if you want some english cake and tea! Huge selection of food and drink at hotel. Great evening entertainment. Made some great friends and met some from last year. Was upgraded to a suite with a sea view which was amazing and great for our son who had his own connecting room. Rooms cleaned daily and done properly! No bugs wasps or bees. Was a bit windy this year but not a problem for us as it was a welcome breeze. Joined the Sandos club this time to start collecting points and gain prizes and deals. Can't wait to go back but may try a different Sandos next time.

Room Tip: There is a beach but we have not used it
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank Jacksonthree
subdireccionsanblas, Guest Relations Manager at Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf, responded to this review, August 7, 2014
Dear guest,

In the name of Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf we would like to thank you for taking your time to write a review about your recent experience here with us.
We appreciate very much your complimentary remarks with regards to our hotel, they mean a lot to us and let us know that our daily hard work really worth.

We are looking forward to seeing you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf again soon.

Customer Service

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,187)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Rooms are very comfortable and clean. Plentiful supply of sun loungers. Quick service at bars - recommend the Dry Cava. Always a wide selection of food at every meal. Such a short transfer from the airport which is great. The hotel is on the flight path and the landing flights are directly over the hotel but it is easy to get used to the noise; only on 2 evenings did the flights take off in the hotel direction which was a noisy but think that wasn't the normal path. Overall a very pleasant and relaxing family hotel.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
6 Thank twiga5280
Dear guest,

In the name of Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf we would like to give you many thanks for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We are sincerely very grateful to read all your positive remarks with respect to your stay in our hotel as well as your recommendation for those guests looking after a pleasant and relaxing family hotel
It will be our real pleasure to welcome you among us again.

All our staff is looking forward to seeing you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great welcome despite lack of porter at the door to help with luggage. Front desk staff extremely helpful. Room superb. Housekeeper very helpful.
This was a BA club class package deal so we had high expectations for the cost.
Some bar staff were very good but some were a bit careless and un-attentive.
The spa and massage were great despite being a little pricey......but worth it.
The policy the hotel has is you cannot reserve sun loungers but this is ignored by guests and the hotel fails to enforce this, some people reserve by putting towels out and we saw that they never used the loungers all day!!!
The main restaurant is buffet and closes at 9.30pm. We arrived at 9pm to find food that had been sitting around all evening and no fresh fish or meat ready to be cooked for you. At 9.30 it was all being taken away!!!
The worst thing was at 3.30pm we were having a drink at a pool bar and the music being played was some sort of rap music and every second word was a swear word, I can accept this at an adult night club but not a resort hotel especially where there are children. I have made a complaint and after writing this review received a reply but no one contacted me whilst at the hotel!
Service wise within 5 service experiences we have had to ask 3 times on 3 occasions for things. This is not acceptable.
For a 5 star hotel I would have expected water in the room and to be replenished but here you have to get it yourself at the bar!!!!
A 5 star hotel provides pool service but here you have to get everything yourself.
The so called degustation restaurant is extremely poor. The food is just ok if that.
The buffet is equally poor. Chicken and pork are the main offerings and some farmed fish. Nothing exciting or interesting. The desserts are, in the main, gelatine based offerings with bland flavours. In terms of food I have eaten in hotels with 3 stars and had food 10 times better than here.
The star system in Spain is based on facilities and not on quality or service so be aware.

Room Tip: Sea or pool view but NOT artificial lake view
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
3 Thank philipclough
Dear guest,
In the name of Sandos Blas Nature Resort & Golf we would like to thank you for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We would like to thank you for all your positive comments and suggestions and at the same time we would like to apologize if some aspects of your holiday did not make up your expectations, particularly concerning the food, that gets a very positive feedback from the majority of our guests.
We apologize for the incident with the music in Bar Plaza. That music was selected without the approval of our Management. As I explained in a previous review we took some corrective actions.
Please be sure that we will take very good care of every suggestion you made, and we will keep on working hard to try to improve day by day.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2014

Absolutely loved our time there, the food was great and there was plenty of choice to cater for all preferences. The rooms were nice and well kept, and the upgrade to a sea view was well worth it! Plenty of pools for you to relax by and use, even though the hotel was fully booked at the time of our stay it didn't feel that busy. Staff were helpful and friendly. My only very small quarrel was the speed of the wifi in the rooms, dial up would have been quicker, but you could get around this if you went and sat in the lobby bar next to the main hub, at least it kept me off work emails! Overall great hotel, looking forward to our next visit!

Room Tip: Worthwhile the upgrade to a sea view room.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Jamie S
subdireccionsanblas, Guest Relations Manager at Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf, responded to this review, August 6, 2014
Dear guest,

We are very grateful to read all your positive comments about your stay in our hotel, particularly in relation to such important aspects as the rooms, food, and the staff are.
We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us so much that you would definitely return.
We will be looking forward to seeing you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf again soon.

Stourbridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 19, 2014 via mobile

I apologise for the long review, but I want to put as much detail in for those who want it. If you want a small summary without all the detail: don’t hesitate. This hotel is absolutely amazing, great food, amazing staff, gorgeous rooms - book it!

After reading reviews on here, me and my partner had mixed ideas on what to expect from Sandos San Blas. We took the plunge based on the 5* rating, and the amazing price we managed to find for it. I can safely say this is the best hotel that I’ve ever stayed in, and I feel that I’ve left a mini-paradise behind. I wouldn’t hesitate to return tomorrow if I had the time off work!

We arrived around 12, after a 15 minute transfer from Tenerife South airport. We were the first stop (using a Thomson coach transfer), and it’s refreshing to not be sat around for ages waiting to arrive. The rooms weren’t meant to be ready till 2, but they made an effort to transfer us into a room that had been cleaned already to ensure we weren’t just standing around. They explained literally everything from restaurant times to operating the safe in the rooms. We knew from our warm, helpful welcome we were in for a treat!

The rooms are gorgeous. From what I can tell, all of them have balconies with deck-chairs. We had an amazing bathroom with a jacuzzi-style bath, and separate rooms with a toilet and shower. The room had two big ‘single’ beds that were not far off a double-bed size each. If I had to criticize anything, these actually weren’t that comfortable in my opinion, but not so much that it affected sleep or anything. There was decent air-conditioning, free of charge. The toilet had a music player built-in so I could listen to uplifting Latino music (and sometimes other, better known classics like Eye of the Tiger and chart music...) whilst doing my business! What more could you want?! There’s plenty of wardrobe space etc., a free safe, draws/shelves in the bathroom for cosmetics, a hairdryer... everything you need! All I will say is there were only two draws in the bottom of the wardrobe - no chests of draws or anything. Hardly an issue, but just incase anyone wanted to know.

On top of that, we had a knock on the door after 10 minutes - which was a waiter bringing us a free fruit platter and bottle of Cava! That’s never happened to me before, so we were dead impressed!

The hotel itself is just stunning. It’s got a nature reserve, which you could tour for about 7 euros (we didn’t do that), but you can see all the plants etc that make up this beautiful resort. There are numerous pools, two of which are saltwater. The hotel was immaculately clean, and all the sunbed/pool areas were washed every night. I saw cleaners working pretty much from sunrise-sunset cleaning all areas. The receptionist did joke that the resort was quite confusing to navigate, but we honestly didn’t struggle at all. From top to bottom, it’s a 10 minute walk maximum, and pretty straight forward. We knew our way around the same day.

Location-wise, the resort is right next to the airport, smack bang on the coast so there’s a beautiful sea-view from pretty much everywhere in the hotel. There IS a beach, but it’s pebbles and not sand. We didn’t visit this, but did see people milling around there. From what I can see, it’s nothing to get too excited about but everything you could want is in the hotel (unless you’re desperate for sand...) The resort is pretty exclusive, about 20 minutes from the nearest major tourist area (Playa las Americas). The hotel operates a free bus service to Playa las Americas, that goes twice a day (departing 9:30 and 14:00, returning 13:30 and 18:30 approx) which needs to be booked 24 hrs in advance. Other attractions can be quite far - Loro Parque is about 1 hour 15 - 1 hour 30 mins away. We did visit Playa las Americas once, which was great, but not unmissable. You can happily relax at Sandos San Blas the whole time without the need to leave. There is also a small village around the corner with a few restaurants, shops, etc. about 15 minutes walking but again, nothing as a must-see here.

The food at this hotel really is excellent. We were all-inclusive, and they have breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets every day. The food was varied every single day (except breakfast) and tasted great! As an example, our first night was Mexican, there was a Hindu night (kebabs, curry), British food (mash, stews)... all sorts. Italian was there every day, so pizza and pasta was basically unlimited all week. They have a brilliant selection of fish - I tried loads I’ve never had before (Red Scorpionfish, Dory, Squid, Hake, Swordfish, Sole... and many more). They have a vegetarian corner also, a selection of breads, soups... I could go on. We ate here everyday except for one dinner, and never got bored. Breakfast was everything you’d want - toast, bacon, sausage, pancakes, eggs, french toast, pastries, fruit, cold meats. I only thing I never saw was cereal, but I never went looking for it so I’m not sure whether it was around somewhere. What I will mention here is that the dress code “elegent/casual” was pretty pointless because people wore whatever and nothing was said. Feeling lazy one day, I wore a vest/swimshorts to lunch (tut-tut) and it wasn’t picked up on. People wore flowery shorts to dinner (which was banned), and again, no problems there. Whether that’s an issue is up to you.

For each party staying over 5 days, you get a free visit to their a-la-carte restaurant “La Proa”. This needs to be booked in advance, for a specific time-slot. We went on a Wednesday (it’s closed Mon-Tues), and the service was great. Our wine glasses were never empty, the bread was always being replaced, and the staff were very friendly. There were 4 courses - starter, fish main, meat main and dessert. The portions are more like that of a tasting menu. I’ll be honest, this was the only thing we didn’t enjoy at the hotel. The food was good, but... just good. Considering it was made out as something special, as a ‘treat’ away from the buffet almost, we maybe expected too much. Yet, the food was just alright. Nothing overwhelming. I would still recommend people visit there, because it’s unfair to say it’s not worthy a visit. Just don’t go in expecting anything miraculous and you’ll probably be more than happy. For reference, me and my partner had different choices and came to the same conclusion - so I don’t think it was just my particular dishes. Try it out, see what you think.

For drinks, you have pop, coffee, tea, slush, beer and fruit juice on-tap, with loads of top up points at the bars and in the restaurant. At the bars, pretty much everything was all-inclusive. A nice selection of great cocktails (you must try the Mojito!) and spirits too (only a few were chargeable, like Jack Daniels, but we had Jim Bean bourbon which was free and tastes identical). Most bars were open till midnight, so safe to say we took full advantage of them! There’s not much more to say - everything is there, most is free.

So, entertainment. We saw reviews that said the entertainment was shocking - but we really enjoyed pretty much every night! It ranged from singers, to rock bands, to acrobatic groups, to magicians. It was the same set-up every night: kid’s disco around 7pm to 8.30pm, fairly average karaoke singer till about 10pm, then a main show till around 11pm. Some acts were amazing, like the acrobats and the rock band. Some, not so good - the magicians didn’t really work because nobody could see what was happening unless you were basically sat on the stage. Otherwise, definitely worth watching every night. A great mix of songs from the singers - 50’s to current, Spanish and English hits, many styles. The only problem to me, as some have mentioned on here, is that children can sometimes be a nightmare! I have NO issue with children at all, but when they’re kicking footballs around the stage, hitting some of the tables of people they don’t know, it becomes annoying. The staff never intervened to calm it down if they ran relentlessly up and down, or were distracting the singers/entertainers. This was off-peak season as well, so not sure what it’s like during half term, summer holidays etc. However, it’s not the end of the world, and certainly not enough to ruin the nights either. Just a niggle, if anything.

I wanted to put a separate note about the WiFi, incase it interested anyone. It’s free, accessible from all over the hotel... and pretty rubbish. Sometimes the connection would be fine, other times you’d not load anything up for hours. Location or time of day made no difference, it worked well and badly in the rooms, lobby, pool areas and restaurant equally both day and night. If you need internet, or want to contact family using Skype etc., it is possible but don’t expect a consistent connection.

Other notes: plenty of sunbeds, no struggle to get them at any time. As others have said, there’s a strict no-reserving sunbeds policy, which absolutely nobody listens to and is not enforced in the slightest. Not a problem for us, but for those who need quite a few sunbeds together as a family or something, it might be. Staff were very friendly throughout, most speaking great English.

All in all, I’m devastated to be home writing this, but I just hope it encourages someone else to book and get this wonderful, relaxing experience for themselves. This hotel cannot be missed, and you definitely won’t regret your decision. Do it!

Stayed July 2014
35 Thank Sam E
Dear guest,
First of all, in the name of Sandos Blas Nature Resort & Golf let me thank you for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We really appreciate all your nice comments and suggestions, and of course, your recommendations of our hotel to our potential guests looking after a wonderful and relaxing experience.
We are very pleased to get to know you spent such an enjoyable time here with us and that you would certainly come back to San Blas.
Radlett
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Overall a pretty good hotel. Don't believe reviews saying "it's the best five star I've stayed in" - it's not if you compare it to a four seasons etc. However, it is still a good hotel overall. Specifics as follows:
Rooms are excellent, spacious, quiet and clean. We had a junior suite which allowed us to keep an eye on the kids whilst having our own space.
Food was OK. At least 50 percent of dishes contained pork which I am not keen on. After a few days everything seemed to taste the same - same seasoning possibly. That said, it wasn't bad. Not sure if I could handle it for longer than a week.
Drinks: biggest disappointment was in the main restaurant the only coffee was self serve from a Nescafé machine. When I go to a 5 star hotel I expect to be served filter coffee and tea at my table . The milk was also grim UHT. Small points but you would expect this at a true 5 star.
Pools are great, some heated. Sun loungers plentiful.
Good variety of things to do for adults and kids.
Clientele was generally nice families. Very few tattoo covered chavs, which was nice.
Despite a few negatives I would go back. I hope the hotel sort these out and then I would book again tomorrow.

• Stayed July 2014
9 Thank Patientzer0
Dear guest,
Thank you for your positive comments and suggestions, they all are really helpful to keep on improving and at the same time it obliged us to keep on working hard to maintain our guest´s satisfaction.
Bradford UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2014

Can't find any reason not to rate this hotel as excellent.

* Location. Close to the airport, less than 10 minutes in a minibus provided by Jet2 holidays. Aircraft on approach to Tenerife South with 1/4 mile of hotel. No night flights and not disturbed by the aircraft at all. Enjoyed breaking off from my book to see which aircraft was coming in next.

* Beach. Large pebbles and fairly steep to the waters edge. Not safe swimming for children due to strong currents. Sand area provided by hotel about the size of a tennis court.

* Rooms. Very comfortable, spacious and cleaned daily. Towels changed daily, sheets upon request by card on bed, pool towels changed at reception. Great blackout curtains, set an alarm if you need to get up. Mini fridge, ideal for stocking with the bottled water available at all the bars.

* Food. Very good quality, plenty of variety with several items freshly cooked. Would recommend the smoothies, omelettes and pasta all cooked/prepared to your tastes. Two large salad bars, two desert bars, hot cooked meats and vegetarian options. Never had to queue on our visits.
Adults only section in the AI restaurant, however we generally sat outside and enjoyed the sun.
We enjoyed our A la carte meal at La Proa, four courses from a set style menu.
Bottled water readily available.

* Drink. Branded drinks available and cocktails. I found all the the wines perfectly reasonable. Cava available at breakfast.

* Pools. All sorts of pools to suited different folk. Adults only, heated, salt water, children's....all very clean, water quality frequently checked by maintenance.

* Poolside. Always clean and tidy. We always found loungers available even after a late breakfast.

* Entertainment. Good variety of acts ranging from acrobats to tribute bands and magicians. We enjoyed them all.

* Layout. The hotel is laid out in a "U" shape which seems to fit in to the valley bottom. The reception is at the bottom of the "U" with the accommodation along the sides, pools in the middle.
We were in room 464 which was roughly half way between the restaurant and reception.
There are steps but flowing ramps available for those with mobility issues or one to many mojito's.

* Staff. All very friendly and helpful. Didn't have any problems to resolve.

Top tip.....book yourself on the nature reserve/history of San Blas tour. At €7.50 it is great value and helps you understand the geology of the island, it's history and culture. We went on the guided tour and then went back independently. The room key gives access to the site.
You would think it would be a fairly barren location but we saw plenty of wildlife including kestrels, Barbery partridge, Geko's, barn owls...
It also helps in understanding the design and layout of the hotel.

Room Tip: We had a sea view, room 464. Seemed very quiet.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
11 Thank NFJ999
Dear guest,

In the name of Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf we would like to express our many thanks for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.

We are very appreciative of all the compliments given to our hotel particularly with respect to the rooms, food served in both restaurants main buffet and La Proa, staff, our activities, swimming pools, and remarkably we would like to thank you for mentioning our exceptional nature reserve tour. Hereby we would like to invite all our future guests to take this unique opportunity to visit a spectacular moonscape of the Environmental Reserve with our guided tour full of surprises while staying with us.
We are looking forward to seeing you here in the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf again soon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Miguel de Abona
Vincci Tenerife Golf Hotel
#2 of 4 in Golf del Sur
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,576 reviews
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,516 reviews
Roca Nivaria GH - Adrian Hoteles

Been to Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!