“Excellent Resort”

Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Reading, United Kingdom
“Excellent Resort”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

When I first came across this hotel I have to be honest and say that I wasn't particularly inspired (until I read the feedback) and I think this is because the hotel is designed to be incongruous and to fit into the natural environment. It prides itself on being eco-friendly and the style and design reflects this ethos in every way. It is not white and 'showy' like most holiday hotels, it's earthy tones don't create that 'wow' factor, well not in photographs anyway but it is not lacking on any level when you are there. There is no compromise on luxury or comfort but things are simplistic and elegant and in keeping with their surroundings and I actually fell in love with the earthly tones. When you stand outside the resort, you can see how well it fits into the surrounding landscape and how the five pools echo the winding pathway of a river running to the sea.

This is a superb hotel complex providing excellent accommodation and facilities. We booked their basic standard room which they called a 'deluxe' for a very good reason. The room was very spacious with 2 wonderfully comfortable double beds and lovely fresh cotton sheets. The bathroom was super too with a great spa bath and 2 sinks. I think this may well be one of the nicest hotel rooms we have ever had the pleasure to experience. Also, the rooms and the complex were kept spotlessly clean!

There are plenty of swimming pools (5 I think?) but if you want to be picky, they were not that big and it would have been nice to have a large pool to do some serious swimming in but in the end we found the middle pool by the bar to be ok (not least of all for the pool heating) although the shape did mean that you had to zig zag a bit!

The only really disappointing bit for me was the food although I guess it was typical for an all inclusive resort but if I am honest I do have a discerning palette and enjoy my A la carte style food so I guess you need to bear in mind that food, like art is a very personal thing, it all comes down to taste and there did seem to be plenty of people around me who looked very happy. Occasionally they served up a really nice dish but I felt you really had to search for it or try a few out beforehand which is easy enough when everything is included but not so good for the waistline! To be fair though, they were actually very good with their meat stews but half of the salad bar came out of a tin which I found incredibly disappointing. However, towards the end of our stay I learnt that this is in fact how the locals enjoy their salads, apparently they don't like everything fresh like we do in England so I guess this may be an unfair criticism and maybe it is just down to individual taste as I said earlier. However, the saving grace for us was the A la carte restaurant 'La Proa' which each guest staying more than 5 days can enjoy free for one evening only but the food was really excellent so well worth doing! The portions are generous and 3 courses are provided, combined with a basket of bread and an appetiser so if you do go, I would strongly suggest you have a very light lunch! We did pay to eat there again and for 26 Euros each we thought this was very reasonable but it was a shame the menu only had 3 choices otherwise we would have eaten in there a few more times!

The Reception staff were excellent, very friendly and very helpful. We did have to complain about the first room we were given, not for anything directly relating to the room because it was as good as the one we changed it for but it was next to the service elevator/cleaners cupboard so in the early morning all we heard was the door constantly banging every few minutes and it was very loud! I can't help thinking that if they were to install a soft door closer the problem would be sorted? Anyway, we were fortunate that the hotel was not full and were able to move so we ended up having a wonderful holiday and would definitely go back!

Room Tip: The only experience we had of a bad room was the one located right next to the service lift which go...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Foodjunkie51
subdireccionsanblas, Deputy Manager at Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf, responded to this review, March 24, 2013
Dear guest,
In the name of Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf let me give you many thanks for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We get a lot of pleasure out of reading such warm and personal comments concerning our hotel resort and its unique design, as well as our services and staff.
We are very pleased to read that you have had such a wonderful holiday here with us that you would defiantly come back. At the same time we would like to invite you to visit our website and book your next holiday at the best price.
We will be looking forward to seeing you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf again soon.

Deputy Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Edinburgh
Reviewed March 17, 2013

4.5 out of 5 from circa 1300 visitors says it all really. I would have selected 4.5 rather than 4 if I could as really overall was fantastic, just a few niggles if I had to be picky. Review based on holiday with a baby and toddler.

Pros - too many to list so will write the highlights. Room gorgeous and v clean. So many pools to choose from and you don't have to fight over sunbeds. Design of resort stunning, architects did an amazing job, very tasteful. Staff child friendly. Actually staff really should have been first on list. Very attentive and more than enough floating round that you don't have to wait for anything too long. Particular praise for the restaurant and lobby bar staff. Lobby bar v nice with lovely view. Our toddler loved running around the resort (maze like) and especially liked the cave. She also liked the mini disco. food very varied and we all enjoyed it. I'm a vegetarian and there was unusually lots of options for me too.

Cons - hardly anything really other than a bit of an annoying start having emailed to request specifics on a room to be given the opposite. Was sorted out after a couple of hours but wasn't the best start. Also found one of the receptionist's attitude not very nice but maybe that's partly a language thing, the others were really nice.

hints - don't take buggy if walking to Los abrigos unless you have a big group to help. It's a bit of a climb! Lake view rooms on stilts can get flies on the balcony in the evening (wasnt as issue for us though as we didn't use it then). Also these rooms are closer to the planes that fly over. Could annoy some but was fine for us and they didn't ever wake up our children which was a surprise!

Enjoy.

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank Enchated
Dear guest,
In the name of Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf let me thank you for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.

It is our delight you to share such kind comments about your stay in our hotel, particularly about hotel´s design, your room, cleanliness, food quality including many vegetarian options, swimming pools, children activities as well as our hotel staff that has been willingly at your disposal to meet all your wishes.
It will be our real pleasure to welcome you among us again. Hereby let me take this occasion to encourage you to visit our website and book your holiday at the best price.
All our staff is looking forward to seeing you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf soon.

Perth
Reviewed March 17, 2013

This was our second visit to the San Blas and we were not disappointed. The hotel is beautiful and the rooms are lovely we asked for a quiet room which we got. When we were there in 2010 we went to the a la carte and were not impressed we tried it again this time and we were blown away it was amazing. The food in the main restaurant was lovely with a large choice. Next time we are in Tenerife we will defiantly stay here.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank summerfun81
Dear guest,
We get a lot of pleasure out of reading such warm and personal comments concerning our hotel resort. Hereby we promise to keep on working hard to maintain our current guest´s satisfaction.
We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us so much that next time you are in Tenerife you will defiantly stay here. At the same time we would like to invite you to visit our website and book your next holiday at the best price.

Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Difficult to fault this hotel, but I will try!
Food all of a very high standard but the breakfast would benefit from better coffee. A la carte is very good, but the portions are massive. Do not like to see so much good food wasted. The coffee was excellent from all bars, fresh ground and even decaf. Drinks were good, even the wine but would have been even better with a lively mixer. The level of service was excellent.
The rooms were spacious and very comfortable. A higher floor with the sun in the evening is the best choice.
Adult only pools are a great choice, but this should be enforced along with the sunbed reservation rule.
Did not use the spa.
Enjoyed many walks in the nature reserve. All were varied and interesting. Did the indoor part of the tour which was informative. The nature reserve is not suitable for those with mobility problems. An uneven start to walks both sides of the hotel reward you with a good coastal path and shops or a picturesque fishing village with nice restaurants and shops.

Room Tip: A higher floor and sun later in the day.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,
In the name of the Sandos San Blas we would like to thank you for taking your time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We get a lot of pleasure out of reading your positive comments, particularly about the rooms, the level of service, the only adult pools, drinks included in our A.I. package and the choice and quality of our food that was prepared to your taste.
We are also pleased to get to know you found interesting and informative our unique tour to the nature reserve that we are very proud of. On this occasion we would like to invite all our future guests to visit a spectacular landscape of the Environmental Reserve, while staying with us.
Let us take this opportunity to encourage you to visit our website and book your next holiday at the best price.
We can´t wait to welcome you here at the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf again soon!

Lichfield
Reviewed March 15, 2013

We had a fantastic holiday . The hotel is stunning, with fantastic service and unbelievably spacious rooms. Maybe our expectations of food was too high but we did expect some display cooking or speciality food we have enjoyed in 5* hotels in the past. Unfortunately I had an accident while walking on the beach on the fifth day of our holiday. I had to be admitted to hospital. The staff were wonderful in their support of my husband at this time helping in so many ways. I cannot praise them enough!

• Stayed February 2013
2 Thank LyndaLichfield
subdireccionsanblas, Deputy Manager at Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf, responded to this review, March 23, 2013
Dear guest,
First of all, in the name of the Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf we would like to thank you for taking your valuable time and writing a review about your experience here with us.
We get a lot of pleasure out of reading such warm and personal comments concerning our hotel resort and the staff.
We just hope that you feel better now, and you are 100% recovered.

Bedfordshire
Reviewed March 14, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here on a Saga package. The hotel is rather isolated and to walk outside the hotel you need to be able bodied as the paths to Los Abrigos and the opposite way to San Blas are not paved and rather hilly. The hotel itself is built on a hill ,the reception is upstairs on floor 4 and the dining room is down towards the sea. The hotel is very large and quite spread out ,so a lot of walking is involved usually up or down steps or ramps ,the hotel is well equipped to cope with wheelchairs but older people find the walking quite difficult. The food we found quite samey after 2weeks and went out for meals in Los Abrigos were there are excellent restaurants .We have stayed in many all inclusive hotels were the food has been of a much higher standard and more variety .
The bedrooms are large ,although glass doors on the bathroom do not afford a great deal of privacy the towelling robes are a nice touch and towels were changed frequently .The hotel is very clean and staff are helpful and obliging ,wine glasses refilled and tables cleared quickly by excellent waiting staff.
There were quite a few children in the hotel while we were there we did not think the hotel ideal for them ,as there is no large play area apart from the volley ball pitch and the many steps and pools mean that there are hazards at every corner.
We would not return partly because of its location and partly because the hotel does not have comfortable lounges away from television, there is no central lounge area where you can sit and read or play cards or scrabble. We did sit in the library on some occasions just to be able to sit and read .

Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank CaroleABedfordshire
Dear guest,
It is our pleasure to read all your positive comments and suggestions, particularly about the hotel facilities for people using wheelchairs or pushchairs for babies, the library, cleanliness as well as the hotel staff.
We would like to explain that golf buggy service is available for people who need to be driven to any place of the hotel, for example after dinner, from the restaurant to the lobby bar area or to the room. Also we would like to remind you that there are wood panels to close the glass doors on the bathroom in case you want some more privacy.
Once again thank you very much for all your comments and suggestions that make us keep on improving and of course we would like to encourage you to visit our website and book your next holiday at the best price.

Warwickshire
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I stayed here with two friends in February, and although the weather was not quite up to it's usual sunny standard, the hotel certainly made up for it.
I have stayed in quite a few "all inclusive " hotels over the years, and this is definitely one of the best I have tried. Usually, when you never have to put your hand in your pocket the whole holiday, there is often a price to pay, whether it be mediocre food, terrible service, uncomfortable or dirty rooms, unpalatable house wine or watered down drinks. Not so in this Hotel!
Everything was really very well done. The food was extremely well cooked and presented, with a wide variety of "world cuisine" dishes to choose from. The gin and tonics (even made with Gordons gin, and not the local Larios if you wanted) were excellent, the cocktails equally delicious and unusually for me, I found the house wine perfectly acceptable.
The staff are charming and very obliging, and your drinks are constantly topped up and your empty plates whisked away with quiet efficiency.
Although we were told the Hotel was full, there was never a fight for the sun beds, in fact, they actively discourage "the towel on the bed by 7.00am" syndrome, which is good to know. Means you can stay in bed that bit longer or linger over your breakfast rather than making a mad dash to the pool areas. I say pool areas because the Hotel is vast with at least four swimming pools, two of which are salt water and unheated....and freezing when we were there (time of year?), or you can enjoy the the more ambient temperature of the heated pools, but I think they are chlorinated.
Lots of activities to indulge in , golf of course locally, and if you have a mind, pool aerobics and volleyball, tennis and paddle tennis, and although there was evidence of a creche, the whole outdoor area exuded an atmosphere of peaceful and languid activity with few children to be seen or heard.
Other people have remarked on how much they liked the bedrooms and bathrooms and I would just add that my bedroom was large, comfortable and spotlessly clean.
Down side to this place? Not very much really. If I wanted to be picky, the the sink plungers behind the taps were impossible to negotiate, and the signs to direct you around the hotel are rather ambiguous, resulting in us getting completely lost quite a few times in the first few days, but that could have been just a female thing. Although in our defence, we did have to go UP to the Drinks Bar and Reception on the fourth floor , which is somewhat counter intuitive.
The hotel is situated in a sort of oasis of scrub land, which although not beautiful to look at, did not detract, and the lighting in some of the public places we all thought was a little gloomy and could have been brightened up a tad.
However, these are all very minor details; all in all I think it is a smashing Hotel and one I would definitely come back to next year.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank teresa s
Dear guest,
We get a lot of pleasure out of reading such warm and personal comments concerning our hotel resort, particularly about your room, cleanliness, quality and variety of food & drinks included in our A.I. package, our activities program, swimming pool areas, as well as the waiting staff that has been willingly at your disposal to meet all your wishes.
We are very pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay here with us so much that you would definitely come back next year. At the same time we would like to invite you to visit our website and book your next holiday at the best price.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Miguel de Abona
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Green Garden Resort & Suites
Green Garden Resort & Suites
#5 of 59 in Playa de las Americas

Been to Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!