“We WILL be going back...”

Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Nottingham
“We WILL be going back...”
Reviewed March 31, 2011

This is a long one, even by my standards. But hopefully helpful!! My husband and I have just spent the last five nights having a well deserved break and celebrating our Wedding Anniversary in Tenerife. We've stayed on Tenerife many times before, but decided that this time we'd try something s little different and went a. 5* b. Not in Costa Adeje and c. All Inclusive. So we chose the Sandos San Blas Reserva Ambiental.

Rooms
We booked a Junior Suite for our stay, as it was a celebration we just wanted to treat ourselves. We were put in room 414/5, which was essentially two interconnecting rooms turned into one. The joy of this being two balconies (one with table and chairs, one with a daybed overlooking the pool and out to sea, with lots of afternoon sunshine) and two bathrooms (one with bath, shower over, separate toilet and bidet - the other with twin sinks, separate shower/wetroom, separate toilet and bidet and whirlpool bath). The room was immaculately clean, linen fresh, more free toiletries than you could shake a stick at, a decent fridge and comfy beds. Free safe. The ONLY negative with this room is no tea/coffee making facilities - but I'd read this on a previous post and took the travel kettle with us. Problem solved!

Again, very impressive. Staff very friendly, check-in and out efficient. Lots of smiles and pretty eager to make your stay as comfortable as possible. Bar staff in the lobby very nice and happily took drinks orders at your table and brought drinks out to you. All staff smartly dressed and well versed on the resort and it's ethos.

All Inclusive
A real, genuine, bonafide all inclusive. In the five days we were there (and with the exception of airport taxis and one newspaper) we have not spent a penny. I've drunk nice Cava, slush puppies, mixers (all good brands) and had an endless supply of bottled water. And I most certainly haven't been hungry...

The buffet is large, cool and very well stocked. Breakfast served through til 10.30 (a godsend when you've gone away to recharge your batteries) and is pretty comprehensive with English favorites, a large range of continental meats, breads and cheeses, fruit, yoghurt and pastries.  Lunch is from 1-3 and as standard featured a large and varied salad bar, a grill station cooking two types of fresh meat, paella, another grill station cooking at least two types of fresh fish, and all the other usual suspects. Variety was pretty impressive, although if I was there longer I'm sure I'd see some repetition and need a new, bigger wardrobe!  Drinks are again included and you can ave pretty much anything apart from spirits and mixers. Dinner is a very similar affair to lunch, and I think they serve from 6.30-10... Don't hold me to that but we got there about 9 most nights. We did also try the a la carte, which was very nice. I agree with others that the food does come out quickly, but if you ask them to slow down they do. Also, don't be fooled into thinking that just because you've been presented with a payable wine list you have to buy anything. The all inclusive drinks are all very much still included down there. The wine list is purely if you want to treat yourself.

The Resort
This is not the place to go if you like wild nights, partying, loud music around the pool. But if (like us) you are after sheer relaxation, lovely evenings meeting great people from a wide range of nationalities, maybe a bit of gentle well organized exercise, but most of all to wake up in the morning just because you want to NOT because it's too noisy to stay in bed this is the place for you. The beach is terrible (small, pebbles and stones) but the pools are lovely. Two heated. I think five in total. Can be a bit of a struggle for sun beds after 10. The planes are close by, but didn't interrupt our holiday. It also meant that the taxi ride from the airport was less than €15. the resort is spotless. So much so, that we didn't feel the need to leave it for the whole five days so I'm afraid I can't tell you much more about the locality. Worthy of it's five stars and we will be going back.

• Stayed March 2011
6 Thank NicLiz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,202)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Hebrew first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

Arrived back from this hotel early hours of this morning and loved it so much had to post my review straight away as I cant understand some negative reviews recently. Arrived at hotel last wednesday lunch time after a swift taxi from airport, check in was promt and we were taken to our room which was beautiful, have never seen a hotel with the glass bathroom walls but it meant the room felt even more spacious. There are plenty of places to sunbathe with lots of pools some quiet some more bustling, pool bars were great serving any drink you could want and everywhere was spotlessly clean. The restaurant made the best use of space by creating 5 seperate pods so you didnt feel like you were in a normal buffet dining room and felt more like a normal restaurant, the food was stunning with so much choice for lunch and dinner and different things every day, I have never eaten so many different types of fish but there was plenty of variety to please all tastes including fresh pasta & pizza area. The bar near reception was my favourite place to relax over a drink, there is also a gym which could do with beng a litle larger as it was always busy but good equipment. I have to say the staff overall were excellant and very friendly and the entire hotel is so clean and well kept. I cant wait to return it was a perfect few days to escape the cold weather and for the price we paid it was an absolute bargain.

Room Tip: book the la proa restaurant on arrival
3 Thank WestMidsBella
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 30, 2011

We had 6 lovely nights at the San Blas (all inclusive) and overall, we really enjoyed it. Never done AI before so didn't know what to expect.....

The massive pluses for the hotel - clean, great staff, lovely pools, we had a brilliant room, good quality drinks, food good (although some days better than others), plenty of space most of the time.

The site is HUGE, which in someways detracts from it, in some ways adds to it. It is very well laid out and is next to the sea.

The food was overall of a very high standard, although there were a couple of off days when things ran out or choice was diminished. I think I would have preferred a choice of restaurants as opposed to one massive buffet with sub-dining areas - sometimes was a bit of a 'scrum' for food.

We were entitled to one night's meal in the 'a la carte' restaurant. It was nothing special, you didn't get a choice and the service was rushed. Made a chnage though and no way a negative experience.

The pools were lovely, although I have to say there were more kids around than I expected. Much more of a family centre than it makes out and I would say if you are a couple wanting that type of environment, bear this in mind. Again, not too much to spoil it though.

Very near airport - we knew that and that is why we chose it. (We did get ripped off in a taxi on the return leg). Expect to pay no more than 10 euros for a taxi from the airport.

We would go back if we fancied all inclusive again, although we would probably try other places too. I think for the money we paid, we got tremendous value. (And I learnt that if you want that exclusive, all-insurance experience, you probably need to pay twice as much).

We had a deluxe room - huge, clean and very nice - big bed, shower and spa bath, two sinks, big TV etc etc. We had sea-view and terrace. Managed to see a standard room - they were OK, but felt very small in comparison.

Oh, and to lighten your luggage - you can be very lax in the toiletries you take! If I had known, I would have just taken deodorant, aftersahve and hair gel - everything else was there for you - as much as you need!

Tried to be balanced in my thoughts - if you are undecided - I would say give it a go. I am sure you won't be disappointed.

(Free Wi-Fi was very hit and miss....)

Room Tip: Go for a deluxe room, with a sea view if possible.
3 Thank RobskiStaffs
wales
Reviewed March 29, 2011

good hotel, but layout was strange, lots of little paths to get from a to b, the restaurant was a walk away from the main building, and not very well lit up, the food was typical buffet style, never seemed crowded even at busy times because the room was divided in a way that made it appear to be smaller areas, the staff in all departments were excellent, the lobby bar was very relaxing where the all inc drinks were served with great efficiency. the rooms were spacious with comfy beds and large bathroom with seperate shower and toilet. no arm bands are handed out, which i thought was good, only show your key, which i think we were only asked about twice. good pool areas with plenty of loungers, watched 1 day as staff were bringing out more so i would imagine plenty for the high season , don't think this is a 5 star hotel but a good 4 star plus

1 Thank Elizabeth O
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We have just returned from this hotel and couldn't feel more relaxed. We chose this hotel because we wanted something special as is was my father-in-laws 50th birthday. When we pulled up on our transfer bus and there were porters waiting to take our luggage we knew we had picked a good hotel.

The reception service was very helpful and were available 24 hours.

The rooms were just like a luxury hotel you would find in England (yes no bright floral bedlinen and curtains here!!!). There were bath robes and slippers in the room as well as twin sinks, spa bath, rain shower, and a 32" TV. The beds were massive and were made everyday for you. You could choose when to have your linen cleaned by leaving out a card which i thought was very eco friendly. Despite planes going overhead they never bothered us day or night.

The hotel food was lovely always plenty of choice, no matter what age you could always find something to eat. You could literally eat all day and i particually loved the danish pastries. The restaurant staff were helpful and always polite and could understand english.

The entertainment was only area in this hotel that was slightly dissapointing to us, the daytime entertainment was few and far between and the evening entertainment was very basic and what you would expect in a 3* hotel not 5*, however the rep team were lovely and it could just have been because we were slightly out of season.

All in all a fantastic holiday and a wonderful hotel of a very high quality, would definatly go back.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank H0liday-ah0lic
ecommerce1, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf, responded to this review, March 30, 2011
Dear guest,

First of all I want to thank you for choosing our hotel for this special date. Secondly I want to thank your kind words and your time.

For us it is a pleasure to know that you enjoyed your holidays.

About our entertainment team, it is a pitty that you did not enjoy as you expected wiht them. They have an extensive program in which they are working to get the satisfaction of our customer.

Best regards,
Brighton, UK
Reviewed March 28, 2011

We spent one week on an all inclusive basis 15 - 22 March. The hotel is quite new and very well maintained and cleaned. It is attractive and well set out. The rooms are spacious and clean. There is a good power shower with overhead and side sprays, separate toilet with bidet, double wash basins & a jacuzzi bath. The hairdryer is adequate and there's a useful magnifying mirror. There were lots of good quality toiletries provided.

The only downside to the rooms was that they were not very well soundproofed & our neighbours returned to their rooms late, drunk and were very noisy at night & on their balcony playing music. Another couple we met also has trouble sleeping at night because of a a crying baby in the room above them

If you have a ground floor room people can walk past and see into your room so limited privacy. We were allocated one but they were happy to change ours to a higher floor . The hotel is like a labyrinth and we were totally lost on our first night there, as were lots of other guests. We soon got used to the layout & like the walks in the end.

The hotel is set over a large area on a hill. It involves a lot of walking as the restaurants are at the bottom and the reception & lobby bar at the other end. We didn't mind this as it gave us some exercise after meals but nowhere was well lit and there were lots of steps & uneven paths so I couldn't wear my high heels all holiday! It's nice to sit in the lobby bar and look down over the whole resort and out to sea. There are lots of toilets everywhere and all clean, although some doors wouldn't lock

There are 2 pool bars in different areas and several pools. Some heated, some salt water & some adult only. My boyfriend hurt his eyes badly swimming in the pool nearest the beach. We reported this & the hotel said they would check the water. They didn't have any first aid to offer us though only an offer to call a doctor. I would have expected a 5 star hotel to have some onsite medical first aid. We really only needed some eye drops & reassurance and couldn't visit the local pharmacy as it was closed that day (Sunday)

Drinks are freely available as well as ice creams at both pool bars and you can ask for bottles of water or wine to take back to your room

The buffet was ok. Not 5 star but a large selection and the fresh fish was quite good, although often full of bones. The eggs were fried, hard boiled or freshly made omelettes and the quality of these varied day to day. The bacon & sausages weren't good. There was fresh fruit & salad everyday (try the canary bananas, they're really tasty). The desserts were the best part of the buffet, always a large choice and very good.

The service was not 5 star. Our plates were cleared too quickly, often whilst we were still eating! It was hard to get a drink sometimes and most (not all) of the waiters were sullen & just seemed to want to clear your table asap.

We went to the a la carte restaurant one night. The food was ok. 5 courses with a divine dessert! We were offered a quite expensive wine list & considered ordering some champagne. I'm glad we didn't though because the downside was the speed of the service. The waiters seemed to hover, whisking our plates away the second we put our cutlery down. The whole 5 courses were completed in 25 minutes. I've never left a restaurant so quickly!

Drinks were plentiful with a wide choice of spirits at the lobby bar. The Cava was only semi-sec which was a little sweet and the mojitos were pre-prepared and much too sweet for me. I am assured that the beer was good though!

The entertainment was very low key. The live music consisted of an old man playing the trumpet (badly) to taped music like "Raindrops keep falling on your head"! We looked in at the kids disco one night & that looked ok

If you leave the hotel at the beach end you can walk to Los Abrigos a small fishing village to the left and there is a clifftop walk to the right. There are restaurants, shops and bars in both places. Both are short and very pleasant walks

We had 3 days of cloud & wind (quite cold) so we hired a car and went to Los Cristianos and Americas. There are beaches there and lots of shops (Zara, Mango etc) . Same clothes as UK but priced equally in Euros so ever so slightly cheaper. If you hire a car ask reception to call a budget car hire company for you as the one in their brochure is double the price. When the sun does come out it is a very dry, scorching heat. Make sure you take lots of sunblock & a sun hat.

All in all very good value for money and a clean & pleasant environment to stay in. I would go back if the price stays the same

2 Thank princessdiana
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 27, 2011

Not done 'all inclusive' for a long time. Found hotel wonderful. Helpful reception staff and porter. Bar staff always pleasant and very attentive. Lovely large standard room. Hotel large but not oppressive and you soon learn your way around.
Drinks included international brands and food was excellent - plenty of choice including meats, pasta to order, vegetarian and fruit.
Pools very good
Will be going back as soon as possible.

Only quibble was that there were too many broken sunlougers which could be a real problem if hotel full of families.

Also consider these accommodations in or near San Miguel de Abona
Vincci Tenerife Golf Hotel
#2 of 4 in Golf del Sur
Vincci Seleccion La Plantacion del Sur
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Spa Garden
Hotel Botanico & The Oriental Sp...
#2 of 80 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf? Share your experiences!