“Charming but the Elite Apartments are not luxurious”
Review of Fairways Club

Fairways Club
Ipswich
“Charming but the Elite Apartments are not luxurious”
Reviewed May 1, 2012

We have just returned from a 2 week vacation in Room 101, a one bed, elite apartment, with a view of the fish pond and swimming pool from the balcony and the sea from the large, well equipped roof terrace.

The Positives:

• Very quiet with music not allowed in the pool area.
• Very clean resort and apartments with well-tended gardens.
• The timeshare staff left us alone! They were introduced at the short, informative welcome meeting, we were told how to find them and that was it. I wish other timeshare resorts would learn from this.
• Just a 10 minute taxi ride from the airport.

The Negatives:

• Very little to do. We didn’t use the local buses but the bus stop was a 10 minute walk away and only ran into Playa de las Americas and Los Cristianos every hour. The taxi fare was about 40 euros for a round trip.
• This area has clearly been badly hit by the recession. Despite the presence of 2 golf courses there are too many abandoned and incomplete hotels, residential blocks and undeveloped sites.
• There is good food to be had but you have to go in search of it. (See my separate reviews for Tapa’s N Chill, 20 minutes walk from The Fairways Club and Restaurante Placeres in Los Abrigos – a 50 minute walk along the coast).
• The apartment should have had a DVD player and hifi system as standard. There was no sign of the hifi and a notice to say that we could request a DVD player from reception – not what I expected.

We came here for 2 weeks winter sunshine to read books, get a tan and relax and we certainly got that. We spent most of the time on the roof terrace which was a wonderful, peaceful haven. However the resort is tired and really should be a silver crown RCI resort, not gold. Having 2 flat screen TV’s, a dishwasher and a washing machine (no instructions for either) does not add up to luxury!!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Sue C

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
  • Polish first
Lamlash, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 26, 2012

Just returned from a 1 week stay at Fairways Club and was pleasantly surprised by the comfort and cleanliness of the accomodation on offer. The resort is quiet and clean - ideal for those looking to unwind. Resort staff were friendly and helpful and the complex is well served with local restaurants and a well stocked supermarket just across the road. I would definetely return here for some winter sun.

Room Tip: The two bed apartments have two good size bathrooms.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank Finola M
Motherwell
Reviewed April 24, 2012

These appartments were advertised through Groupon and it looked like a really good deal. I called them to check they had the dates I wanted available. They told me that they could give me the 4 appartments I wanted for £400 if I went through them directly. I paid them £400 on 18th December 2011. When it got to about 6 weeks before the holiday I got in touch with them as we had not been given any details of our appartments. After about a week of being passed from pillar to post, they told me that they would not be supplying the appartments and would give me a refund. I called them daily and was promised by Rob Pinker (Sales Director) on numerous ocassions that I would receive a refund. The refund was never received and I had eventually to go through my bank this week and they refunded it immediately. I would urge people not to have any dealings with Rob Pinker or Worldwide Marketing as they really messed me about and broke every promise they made.

Room Tip: Try and book an appartment privately as you will get a better deal and they are generally furnished...
Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
11 Thank Mozmck
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2012

I've just returned from a week holiday at this resort. I feel obliged to review it because we made our decision totally based on the previous reviews, and you might make the mistake of thinking (as we did) that all the apartments have been recently renovated, when they have not!

My boyfriend booked our holiday as a surprise after seeing a fantastic deal for this resort on Groupon, through Worldwide Marketing Holidays. I was immediately sceptical when I found out where we were going/staying because I strongly dislike package holiday "family" style self catering resorts/ time-share accommodation.

We arrived exhausted, it was late in the evening after a delayed flight so we checked in and went straight to bed. When I awoke the next morning and had a good look at the apartment I was very disappointed.

I'd like start by saying that externally everything in the resort was clean/well maintained but it seems that there are several apartments that still need refurbishment, and ours was one of them.
In my opinion it had the style of an out-dated chalet at a UK seaside resort.
It was the decor is out-dated, dark, dusty/dirty with broken/damaged fixtures & fittings (I've included a few photos).

As the week went on we noticed that the cleaners only changed the bed linen and towels on the day after we arrived, and that was it!
We never saw them again... during the whole seven days the apartment it was NOT cleaned once.
The bathroom constantly smelled of sewage, tiled floors were dirty -the previous occupants hair was all over them with mixture of dust & grime, there was damp & mould in the shower (so disgusting that I couldn't bring myself to take photos).

When we complained about the lack of cleaning, we were told that its was company policy to "clean" the standard apartments once a week, there was not even an apology for the fact that ours had not been done ! In my opinion this was/is totally unacceptable.

I'm not sure if its allowed, but I think the previous occupants had a small dog/pet in the apartment because I suffer with allergies and every time I sat on the sofa I would itch all over non stop. From the 2nd day onwards I had to sit on the coffee table any time I wanted to watch TV.

Important point to note is that there is no internet connection/WIFI in the apartments, so need to use the WIFI in the evenings/ after the sun has gone down, you have to wrap up warm and go sit outside by the pool in the freezing cold.

On a positive note we went to the (onsite) Palms Bar Bistro several times and the food was delightful!

Moving on....a car is vital if you do not intend to sit by the pool everyday! Thank God that we hired a car at the airport as the resort is near impossible to get to/from without it, unless you spend a ridiculous amount on taxis or walked for miles to the nearest bus stop.
The resort is located about 20mins drive (on the motorway) from Los Cristianos and 10mins from the South airport.

Overall would I stay at the Fairways Club again?

Definitely not. We also had difficulty with the booking staff who refused to confirm our booking until the last minute, they kept saying the apartments were fully booked and there was no space for us. We complained to Worldwide Marketing Holidays and they finally confirmed the apartment 2 days before we arrived.

Apparently our below standard apartment should have cost us 550Euro, however thankfully we got it for much less than half price with Groupon.It was definitely not worth full price.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room when you check in!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
9 Thank K W
Lee, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2012

We rented a one bedroomed poolside apartment privately through owners direct, it was spotlessly clean, well equipped with a large outdoor terrace. perfect for me, my partner and our 15month old. The resort its self was really well maintained, the pool area especially (which I believe was renovated at the end of last year). There are 4 bars on site which all serve food..reasonably priced, happy hour at the pool bar 1 euro pints! and delivered to your sun bed! The bar staff, cleaning staff and maintenance guys were all so friendly...as were all the other residents... some stay for many months! The resort is surrounded by golf courses and apart from a couple of bars/restaurants and a small supermarket opposite, there is not much within walking distance(unless you take some sturdy shoes). We were glad to have a hire car to see more of the island... but not essential as we were told taxis are cheap and easy to organise. We plan to go back next year for more winter sun!

Room Tip: Go poolside not golf view - beautiful palm trees/flowers set around a lovely shaped pool!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank kate h
Bradford, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 6, 2012

Beware if you are thinking of becoming a member, there is little or no control over the maintenance fees they charge here, I have seen mine go up to over £700 over the last few years, and there is nothing you can do about it, the managment tream say that this is because of the weak euro and the excessive spanish inflation, and dont expect any any flexibility from the admin staff, who will not beleive what you tell them,

Meals and drinks are not cheap and can be found cheaper at the nearby village.

The resort is quite noisy the housekeepers arrive early morning, so you can hear them wondering around pushing trollies and talking to each other outside your rooms if you have your windows open, which you have to in the standard apartments as there is no air con available.

The resort is on the airport flight path, which isn’t a problem during the day, but they still fly at 2 am in the morning and as early as 7.30 usually every three minutes or so, so if you have your windows open you cant miss them.

The resort is clean but is alittle tired there are tiles missing, paint flaing, and there were broken tiles on the floor of the pool which were quite sharp, some of the room facilities are well used i.e. the cooker and a lot of the sun loungers around the swimming pool where broken. The standard apartments bathroom and kitchen where very tired grout and sealant missing in the bathroom

you have to pay an additional 30 euros in the standard apartment and 40 euros for the elite one to cover cleaning and utilities. Standard apartments are only cleaned once a week and the elite ones are cleaned every other day.

Room Tip: Ask for an apartment over the pool if you want to sunbathe on your balcony, Rooms facing the Golf co...
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
10 Thank JohnLawless
UK
Reviewed January 22, 2012

We have been to Fairways about 8 or 9 times in the last ten years. We always book our apartment privately or through Amarilla Car Hire. We have rented seven in all from one bedroomed to three bedroomed depending on who comes with us. They have always been clean and have everything that you need. From freezers to dishwashers to air-conditioning. The write ups tell you what is in the apartments so you choose what suits you. We usually have one overlooking the lovely gardens/waterfall or the pool and have never had a problem with noise. If you want total peace and quiet choose one overlooking the golf course but they don't get the sun all day like the others. Again .... you take the choice.

The pool bar is great for breakfasts and snacks and their muffins are to die for! Staff are really friendly ... especially Donna who is always smiling and chatty. They are also a wealth of knowledge if you need to know anything about nearby attractions etc. Palms do a good meal in the evenings if you don't want to walk too far. Plenty of other restaurants and bars close by.

We hire a car from Steve and Sue in the Car Hire place on site and they are brilliant. They pick you up from the airport and drop you off so you save about 40 euros before you've lifted a finger. We have used them about seven times after making the mistake of hiring at the airport the first time. They also book excursions and nights out etc at very competitive prices.

All in all, fairways is a good place to stay if you want to relax in the sunshine (which most of the time it is)

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the golf course can be a bit shady on the balcony terrace. Overlooking the pool is...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
6 Thank bevaimz
Also consider these accommodations in or near San Miguel de Abona
Apartamentos Gema Aguamarina Golf
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and Spa
Grand Muthu Golf Plaza Hotel and...
#5 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & Golf
Sandos San Blas Nature Resort & ...
#1 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona
#2 of 5 in Costa del Silencio
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
Santa Barbara Golf & Ocean Club
#3 of 13 in San Miguel de Abona

Been to Fairways Club? Share your experiences!