“Hotel is good BUT .......”

Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa
Ranked #2 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersGold level
“Hotel is good BUT .......”
Reviewed February 3, 2014 via mobile

This hotel is good but not great. The rooms are really huge and all of them have a big terrace with comfortable seating. There are 3 or 4 blocks and all rooms face the sea with a wonderful view. I'm in the furthest block from reception, pool and restaurants but I don't mind the 200 mt walk at all. It is a nuisance if you forget something though. If this bothers you then ask to be in block 2.
I wouldn't normally eat in the hotel restaurant - I always prefer to go out - but the restaurants locally are absolutely TERRIBLE. In fact unless you want to spend all the time in the hotel I wouldn't even come to this resort. There is nothing apart from a few apartment complexes and a single strip of beachfront 'international' restaurants selling pizza and pasta and burgers and anything at all other than Canarian or even Spanish food.
Having said that, I have been eating in the buffet here at night and I have to say it is fantastic. Last night was Canarian food and there were literally dozens of good options. It was delicious and really good value at €20 for all the courses. The quality and presentation was really good. Avoid the red house wine though - it was really disgusting. I bought a bottle of better red and they are keeping half for tonight. The pool bar was a rip off though. I wanted a small side salad - which they then charged me €9.50 for !! They do a 'daily snack' poolside which is much better value and includes a drink as well.
THE BREAKFAST BUFFET IS FANTASTIC !!
Oh and incidentally - Puerto Rico itself is about a 30 minute walk along the coast promenade. This hotel is in Amadores not Puerto Rico. I wouldn't come here again - not because of the hotel but rather the lack of surrounding restaurants. The beach is lovely though.

Stayed February 2014
8 Thank Mstone7
GLORIA_TH, Director General at Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 26, 2016
Dear customer,

Thank you for sharing your experience, We thoroughly read your comment and we are happy to know that you had a happy stay with us It will a pleasure to have the occasion to great you again and be able to provide once again this service so appreciated by you.

Greetings from Gran Canaria.
Ricardo Pita

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (570)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
  • Slovak first
Oslo, Norway
Reviewed January 28, 2014

I stayed at this hotel last year and I loved it. The whole hotel and swimming pool area is very accessible with a wheelchair. I stayed in an ordinary room (forgot to book an accessible room) because I can walk a few steps. I got into the bathroom which had a bath and a shower (they gave me a small chair to have in the shower) with my wheelchair. I only had get out of the chair to access the toilet. They offered me an accessible room the day after arrival, but I was so happy with my view and the fact I could fall asleep with terrace door open at night listening to the waves. Great food, fantastic staff and atmosphere. Evening entertainment was good a couple of nights! I am an incomplete paraplegic and I managed to push from the beach and up to the lift that takes you up to the hotel terrace. Quite steep and a lot of people offered to help, so no problem if you need help. I will definitely go back.

Room Tip: Rooms further away from the reception area and the road is more quiet.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank 900million
GLORIA_TH, Director General at Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, October 21, 2016
Dear client,

I pretty much appreciate your review full of details and tips for other guests. I am also glad that all the GLORIA team has met your expectations with our facilities, food, as well as the staff. I am very pleased to read that you enjoyed at the hotel and everything was excellent.
Best regards

Reviewed January 27, 2014

My biggest complaint was the coffee, a minor issue given how good everything else was. Staff friendly from the off. We were given a room in block 4 on floor 1, which meant we got a huge balcony to go with the huge room. Slight drawback is that it's closer to more roads but there isn't that much traffic so it's not really important. Place is impeccably clean. The main pool is something else. Gorgeous swimming in it and gazing out to sea.Food was good but not really enough choice - perhaps because we were there out of season. Things ran out sometimes but not often. Bit disappointing to find masses of tinned fruit, but there was fresh too.

The coffee was rubbish. Time again we got tepid coffee that tasted like filtered stuff that had been left stewing for too long. The waiters were serving it from large vats. They had coffee machines but not for guest use. The cappuccino was vile - some sort of mass produced powder derived concoction. The amount of sugar in it made you gag. In the grand scheme of things though a minor but annoying thing.

Not really part of the hotel, but the beach in front of the hotel is superb. I'm guessing its man made so lovely sandy beach. The water is super calm as it's in a man made bay. Water was gorgeous even in January - cold getting in but perfect once you're used to it.

The promenade runs for about a kilometer so a perfect place to run. Superb area for cycling too.

If you get a chance, ride or drive up to Roque Nubla. It twists and turns for miles. So so pretty and I can imagine something else on a bicycle. Take a rain jacket for the top though. It's pretty high up.

It's about 40 mins by car from the airport and another 15 to Las Palmas.

We were half board and tried a couple of different places for lunch. We found the Ciao Ciao place was excellent every time we ate there. Superb pizzas, paella, pasta and fantastic coffee.

I'd definitely go back. But I'd take my own coffee machine and my bike to ride up to Roque Nubla.

Room Tip: Ask for block 1 or 2 if you can and get as high a floor as possible. The first floor rooms have the...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Theredaaron
Dear client,

Thank you for mentioning some points that we could improve. We have taken notes of your comments as it is important for us to receive feedback in order to improve and maintain our standards.

Kind regards,
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2014

I visited this hotel, and was astonished by the views of Amadores Bay. Since all of the rooms overlook the beach, you cannot be disappointed. the food was nice, although would like to see another restaurant with a menu instead of a buffet. Entertainment was average, as well as the music. Water aerobics took place in the main pool, which made it very crowded. Cocktails were NOT very good, as they came ready made and were tacky. The rooms were extremely clean, and a nice size, too. Lots of events took place throughout the day, such as table tennis tournaments. Since this hotel is build on a cliff, it is quite a long walk down to the beach for the elderly. Lots of shops on the beach, and a small supermarket at the bottom of the cliffs. Would definitely recommended to anyone.

Room Tip: Rooms on the higher floors are much quieter and have the best view.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
5 Thank ilovecats105
Dear Guest,

Thank you for visiting and for sharing the specific details of your stay, which I will share with our team. We hope to welcome you back on a future visit.

All the best,

Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 19, 2014

spent new year at this hotel it was my first trip to gran canaria. The hotel is built into the rock face and has stunning views over the beach.
The hotel room are spacious with fantastic balaconies all sea facing.
Staff are all very friendly and work very hard.
I justed loved Amadores the resort is spotless clean unlike Puerto rico round the corner which is very dated
I will certainly be returning soon

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank foxylady2010
Dear client,

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. We are thrilled to see that you enjoyed your time at the hotel.

May I take this opportunity to thank you personally for the very high scores you have awarded us across all departments within the Hotel.

Kind regards,
St. Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 16, 2014 via mobile

We visited in October 2013. It was a all inclusive week away from home and we were rewarded with this hotel!

The moment you walked in you felt relaxed! The hotel was very clean and tidy and has such an amazing view of the sea. Really does wash all stresses away.

The hotel room was delightful and spacious. It was clean also and had everything you needed in a room with very comfortable beds. Although I think it was two single beds pushed together but they must have added a mattress topper on it because it was comfortable and we couldn't tell it was not a double bed.

There are two pools in the hotel and we spent most of our time on the upper level due to less crowding and allowing us to take advantage of the wonderful sunshine! The infinity pool is beautiful but it gets crowded so we went upstairs where it was more quiet.

Something that normally gets boring on all inclusive is the food.....however the food here is great, fantastic variation and plenty to keep people happy for a week. We loved it and it was all cooked to perfection.

We also tried having a massage whilst we stayed and that was lovely and relaxing. Bit pricey but for the location and the atmosphere it's worth doing and taking advantage of the spa pool is a definite! Great way to relax after a stressful day of sun bathing!!!

A place worth visiting and a place we would most defiantly return!!!!

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Dave1490
Dear Dave,

Many thanks for the excellent review posted recently and for taking the time to share your experience. It is nice to hear that you and your family enjoyed with us. We want to make our guests feel very special.

Best regards,
Banbridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 14, 2014 via mobile

What can I say!!! Been here twice and have booked again for Summer 2014. So delighted with both our stays couldn't decide on anywhere else we would rather go. Really excited for our visit Summer 2014.

• Stayed July 2013
4 Thank DJAYDMAC
Dear client,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with such kind words! We are pleased to read you have enjoyed your stay at our hotel. Your comfort and satisfaction are our top priorities!

We look forward to welcoming you back any time.

Best Regards,
Cordial Mogan Playa
Cordial Mogan Playa
#1 of 2 in Puerto de Mogan
Seaside Grand Hotel Residencia

Been to Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!