“Very good with a few niggles that stop it hitting perfection”

Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa
Ranked #1 of 70 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersGold level
Rome, Italy
“Very good with a few niggles that stop it hitting perfection”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

The good points:
40 mins from the airport
A great (fairly) quiet location ...what you imagine the old Gran Canaria used to be (but yes it's very touristy) but 5 mins or a hearty walk by the sea to Puerto Rico. Good for walking or staring at the horizon.
Great location with some truly excellent cafes and beachside restaurants across the road - very reasonable and great food. The spar that you pass as you leave the hotel has everything extra you could need, include reasonably priced booze (litres of gin at equivalent of £11); wine, fruit and soft drinks at reasonable prices as well as picnic food, fresh milk for us tea drinkers, smellies etc. You don't have to worry if you forget anything.
Stunning sea views from every window - with no supplement
An excellent kitchen. We have few left like this in the UK, where they break their own breads and pastries, make their own mayonnaise and take pride in the cooking
Friendly, efficient, hard working staff
Modern, bright
No mosquitos

The niggles:
We didn't think the aircon issues many people have mentioned would bother us at the end of October but we had 3 nights of no sleep (it was 25 degrees) and the front desk also couldn't get it to work. It is the least efficient, most eccentric AC system I've come across in a hotel and I regularly stay in 20+ a year. Especially bewildering since this is a new hotel. It would stop me coming back to be honest. The temperatures in the 'show room' in the evening were amazingly hot from time to time.
The kids club is a pergola by the swimming pool. I would have thought a cool inside room would be required to call it a kids club and felt a bit let down. There is a soft play room suitable for under 6s but no room inside. The kids loved the mini disco and the drawing and the animation team were very sweet but this isn't really a kids club.

We also didn't recognise the gripes about service earlier TA reports have made. On our last day we went to breakfast later than usual and it was completely chaotic and unpleasant. Simply too many people arriving at the same time and not enough staff. We were scouting about for tea cups and left hanging around forgotten with the previous diner's dirty plates. It's a long narrow dining room so do try to avoid busy times or you will get frustrated and the service will suffer. They try to be really efficient and the wait staff are well trained, pleasant and work incredibly hard, but sometimes at busy times one feels they can get overwhelmed.

Because the hotel is on a narrow strip jutting out from the mountain wall, everything happens on the same strip of terrace...aqua displays, sunbathing, lunch, evening drinks and the floor can get grubby. We did see a lady running a mop outside one day early on, but the cleaning did have glitches. When we moved in, our floor had what looked like coffee stains (quite large ) near one of the beds and they were still there when we went. It certainly wasn't spotless.

Overall, this is a very good hotel. Wonderful sea views and excellent food, and well appointed. The location is excellent and in general it's a quiet place. If they could sort out the niggles, I'll be back like a shot.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank waltonwanderer

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (554)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2012

I chose this hotel purely on the basis of the nearby golden sandy beach I spotted on Google Maps and the excellent reviews on trip advisor. I was not disappointed.

After a 1hour 45min transfer form the airport which had us both feeling scared and sick due to bad driving of the coach driver (I urge you to pay the €60 for a taxi which takes you direct to the hotel in under 30mins in air-conditioned comfort) - we arrived at what is a very impressive looking hotel. From a distance the hotel looks like a strange concrete, almost multi-storey car-park like building BUT up close and personal it's a very pleasant place to be. The hotel is clad in local stone which gives it a really "natural" and authentic feel.

We arrived about 11:15pm and the reception staff were friendly and helpful and immediately we started to relax after such a hellish transfer. We were even offered a glass of champagne ! We settled for Orange juice due to "coach sickness"! Our bags were carried to our room by one of the reception staff who showed us the way to our room. And what a room !
Big by most hotel's standards with marbled floor, air-conditioning, "kitchenette" facility with coffee making facility (need to provide your own coffee and filters although there is instant coffee and tea bags) small sink and crockery/cutlery, large built-in wardrobe, huge balcony with sea view and wicker chairs and table. All (or most) rooms have a good seaview. Bathroom has walk-in marbled shower plus a bath and "hidden" loo for privacy.

After dumping our bags it was 11:45 and we were offered a meal in the restaurant - nothing fancy - just bread, pate, cold meats, salad etc - but adequate to stave off the hunger....

We stayed in Block 4 Level 4 (Room 4411A) - this seemed to be ideal, as it gave us easy access to the glass lift which takes you to street level for access to the beach and also easy and quick access to the main "infinity" pool. I'm sure all block are good but block 4 is "closest to everything". No noise problems other than one night where furniture being dragged around on marble floor above kept us awake (I suggested to reception they should stick felt pads to all furniture feet to solve this problem !) The main road in front of the hotel is audible but we never really found it intrusive. Based on our experience I would recommend Block 4 - level 4 or 5. But I'm sure the other blocks are equally as good - just a little further to walk to the pool/beach/restaurant.

Next morning we got to see the resort in daylight - WOW ! Beautiful beach and great views. Amadores is a quiet resort with no neon lights, loud discos and drunk people yelling at night. Al the restaurants/bars are cleverly concealed underneath the promenade so can;t be seen from the hotels. If you're looking for a resort with lots of bars, restaurants, discos etc. don;t come to Amodores !

The bars and restaurants at the hotel were good. We stayed all inclusive, which we found to be very good (although there are restrictions on what and when you can eat and drink). The main restaurant is buffet style, and offers a huge selection for breakfast, lunch and dinner. I'd be surprised if even the fussiest of eaters couldn't find something they liked ! The quaility was of a very high standard too. The desserts in the evening are amazing ! The chefs and waiters are all very efficient and polite (amazing given how hard they are worked). My only observation would be that it can sometimes take too long to get waiter service in the evenings when sitting outside the main bar (Show Hall) for a pre-dinner drink (about 7:30pm) - they tend to only have one member of staff serving and they're usually more obsessed with lighting candles on the tables inside than serving customers !). But this is my only gripe as overall all the staff are excellent...

The main infinity pool is really lovely - you can swim over to the edge that overlooks the beach and just loose yourself in a daydream - wonderful ! Even though is discouraged by the hotel, you may have to get up early to reserve a sun bed by this pool as they tend to be all gone by 9am. I resent people who do this but until the hotel clamps down on this practice - if you cant beat them - join them ! The other pool is on the top of the hotel and is glass sided - which makes for interesting viewing ! Around this pool there are usually sunbeds available all day long - so we never went without.

There's not much for kids but the hotel does make an effort. But I would suggest this is more a couples hotel.

Overall this is a wonderful hotel, with great staff, great facilities, great food, great views in a great resort. The beach is wonderful too (10 mins walk) - but try and avoid the timeshare sellers on the way who try and trick you by saying " are you going to the beach?" When you say yes they try and hand you something which you instinctively think is something beach connected but is actually a scratch card. Best tactic is to just ignore them or say no thank you to whatever they say !

No hotel is perfect so there will be the odd bad review, but you'd be pretty unlucky to leave this hotel feeling anything other than happy, relaxed and wishing you weren't leaving !

P.S. - If you are approached whilst sitting around the pool by a couple of guys from Canary Diving offering SCUBA diving trips - make you sure you go ! It's only €75 for 30 mins Pool training plus a 45 min Sea Dive - which is absolutely amazing ! It's a whole new world down there. A guy called Jerry from Ireland runs it and he picks you up from your hotel and drops you back at the end of the day. Miguel, the diving instructer makes it a very relaxed and enjoyable experience. Thanks Jerry and team for highlight of my holiday !

And make sure you do the coast walk to Puerto Rico (15mins) and take the ferry to Puerto de Mogan - a beautiful little fishing village - you won't regret it.

Room Tip: Block 4 - Levels 4 or 5 for best convenience (Block 1 is a bit of a walk to the restaurants/pool/bea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Welbeck3
Cork
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 1, 2012

We travelled to the Gloria Palace Royal hotel in late September so I'm a little late getting around to writing the review but just felt I had to.

As soon as we set foot inside the reception of the hotel, we were greeted by very friendly staff who offered us champagne and orange juice ( a great touch ). We were checked in swiftly and as we had a late flight and arrived after 9pm they kept the restaurant open for us and we got a late cold dinner which we were very grateful for. We went all inclusive and did not regret our decision for a minute. The food is FABULOUS! This was my second time travelling to a spanish hotel and going all inclusive and Gloria Palace by far deserves it's 4*+ rating.

The rooms are HUGE, and always immaculate. The maids are fantastic here, always friendly and efficient. When we would go for breakfast in the mornings, our room was cleaned and we would arrive back to swans laid out on our beds which they made from our beach towels that were lying around. (Unique touch) The infinity pool is amazing and very large with the most amazing views of the gorgeous beach. we never worried about getting up at 7.30am to get beds there as we found a wonderful sun-trap just outside of the spa area (Also amazing with the best hypro-therapy pool I've experienced). The sun beds on the spa balcony are gorgeous and cushioned and it's so private, away from the noise of the pool yet only a couple of steps away from it at the same time.

Breakfast, lunch and dinner are fantastic. We would always eat in the restaurant for lunch as the food is out of this world. The waiters and hotel staff make you feel wonderfully at home and very special. The restaurant staff bend over backwards to assist you, they are very smooth and swift. The entertainment at night is the one and only downfall of this magnificent hotel however as I was appalled by the 'drunk skunk' animal pre show entertainmen. To me, it was a drugged up skunk in a box that would probably have traumatised by the flashing lights and obnoxiously loud music if it wasn't completely out of it's mind. A total lack of consideration and complete animal cruelty and I was not alone in my thoughts. The Drifter's and Lionel Richie impersonators were the highlight of the week.

I wouldnt think twice about coming back to this hotel, it's going to be hard to beat for class, value and sheer luxury. I thoroughly enjoyed my stay and will come back in the future.

Room Tip: We stayed in block 4 so we were so close to everything, yet we were not effected by noise. I'd d...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank RubyOCork
Southport, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in May and have booked again for next May for 12 nights as we loved it so much. The hotel was amazing especially the location as the view was fantastic. Our room was lovely very clean and lots of space. Dont know why people are moaning that the sunbeds on the beach were in military position so it put them off as they only but them like that at the end of the day to make the beach look neater.
The staff we met were friendly and we got offered champagne as we arrived. As for people saying they had to find their own way to their rooms...we never experienced this.
All of the poosl are lovely and the spa is outstanding. I had a full body massage and it was soo relaxing. I agree that the evening entertainment was abit poor however puerto rico is 5 mins away.
Bring on May 2013!!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Linzi W
UK
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 28, 2012 via mobile

This is my 3rd visit in 12 months. The hotel setting is fabulous, all rooms have a sea view. The staff are so helpful- particularly Naomi in the restaurant/bar who remembers you from previous visits. The rooms are large and well appointed- huge bathroom with bath and separate shower. The buffet restaurant has something for everyone at breakfast lunch and dinner, and there are always sun beds available. Amadores beach is a short walk away for those who prefer the beach to the pool. Transfer from the airport is 40-45 minutes.

Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank JaneMUK
Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2012

From our arrival at reception and throughout our stay we experienced fabulous friendly service. The layout of the hotel was good with a great view from our balcony over the bay. The infinity pool sunbeds tended to be booked by 7.30am but as that was the area with the pool exercises and loud music we did not miss it. There was a quieter pool and sunbathing area a level above which was very relaxing. Above that again there is a FKK/naturist terrace for those so inclined. Towels were available from reception free of charge although they took your credit card details in case you did not return them. I agree with other reviewers that there is a lot of road noise earlier in the morning although the free air conditioning can tend to drown it out. We booked half board and the breakfast lasted us all day. The choices at breakfast and dinner were very good and meat and fish could be cooked by a chef specially for you. There was even champagne available for breakfast! The waiters were very attentive and we did not have to wait to get seated in the dining room even at busy times. The free spa and gym was pretty good which was a way of relaxing further after a day of sunbathing. The rooms had a fridge, sink and microwave with a Spar nearby. This was my wifes second visit with our girls, and my first. I would be happy to return.

Room Tip: Block 2 nearest the stairs and reception
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Limerick
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 23, 2012

we were greeted with a bottle of of bubbly in our room. The room was superb , overlooking the ocean with private balconys. The food was exceptionnal and varied. The service was also exceptionnal. Everybody was there to help you. At nighttime the buffet was so varied ,it was never boring , live cooking, plus a theme buffet every night. The night entertainment started at 10.30 and was good also. .The Thassotheraputic pool was fantastic. I also had a massage in the spa, so relaxing and worth it. This was second visit and my husbands FIRST, he does not want to go anywhere else ever again he was spoilt so much. Thank You

Room Tip: Block 3 and 4 look directly towards the sea. THe view from block 1 and 4 also look out over the sea...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Marina Bayview
Marina Bayview
#3 of 70 in Puerto Rico
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,159 reviews

Been to Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!