The good points:
40 mins from the airport
A great (fairly) quiet location ...what you imagine the old Gran Canaria used to be (but yes it's very touristy) but 5 mins or a hearty walk by the sea to Puerto Rico. Good for walking or staring at the horizon.
Great location with some truly excellent cafes and beachside restaurants across the road - very reasonable and great food. The spar that you pass as you leave the hotel has everything extra you could need, include reasonably priced booze (litres of gin at equivalent of £11); wine, fruit and soft drinks at reasonable prices as well as picnic food, fresh milk for us tea drinkers, smellies etc. You don't have to worry if you forget anything.
Stunning sea views from every window - with no supplement
An excellent kitchen. We have few left like this in the UK, where they break their own breads and pastries, make their own mayonnaise and take pride in the cooking
Friendly, efficient, hard working staff
We didn't think the aircon issues many people have mentioned would bother us at the end of October but we had 3 nights of no sleep (it was 25 degrees) and the front desk also couldn't get it to work. It is the least efficient, most eccentric AC system I've come across in a hotel and I regularly stay in 20+ a year. Especially bewildering since this is a new hotel. It would stop me coming back to be honest. The temperatures in the 'show room' in the evening were amazingly hot from time to time.
The kids club is a pergola by the swimming pool. I would have thought a cool inside room would be required to call it a kids club and felt a bit let down. There is a soft play room suitable for under 6s but no room inside. The kids loved the mini disco and the drawing and the animation team were very sweet but this isn't really a kids club.
We also didn't recognise the gripes about service earlier TA reports have made. On our last day we went to breakfast later than usual and it was completely chaotic and unpleasant. Simply too many people arriving at the same time and not enough staff. We were scouting about for tea cups and left hanging around forgotten with the previous diner's dirty plates. It's a long narrow dining room so do try to avoid busy times or you will get frustrated and the service will suffer. They try to be really efficient and the wait staff are well trained, pleasant and work incredibly hard, but sometimes at busy times one feels they can get overwhelmed.
Because the hotel is on a narrow strip jutting out from the mountain wall, everything happens on the same strip of terrace...aqua displays, sunbathing, lunch, evening drinks and the floor can get grubby. We did see a lady running a mop outside one day early on, but the cleaning did have glitches. When we moved in, our floor had what looked like coffee stains (quite large ) near one of the beds and they were still there when we went. It certainly wasn't spotless.
Overall, this is a very good hotel. Wonderful sea views and excellent food, and well appointed. The location is excellent and in general it's a quiet place. If they could sort out the niggles, I'll be back like a shot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located 200 meters from Playa de Amadores, on the Costa de Mogan, the Gloria Palace Hotel Royal & Spa is a four-star superior establishment built in 2008 with natural stone, privileged views over Amadores beach, spectacular never-ending pool, exclusive rooms and executive suites. Its dedicated service, luxurious surroundings and breathtaking views makes it the most prestigious hotel in the area. Our goal is to provide our customers with a place to enjoy a calm, relaxing, caring and personalized service from our team of professionals. The extensive facilities are designed and decorated with exquisite taste, to convey a feeling of exclusivity and luxury to enjoy the deserved vacations. A hotel for all, from romantic getaways to business trips. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Hotwire, Expedia, Priceline, TripOnline SA and HotelQuickly so you can book your Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Gloria Palace Royal Hotel And Spa
- Gloria Palace Royal Hotel Puerto Rico
- Dunas Amadores
- Hotel Dunas Amadores
- Gloria Palace Royal Hotel & Spa Puerto Rico, Gran Canaria