“Fantastic hotel- will return.”

Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel
Ranked #5 of 68 Hotels in Puerto Rico
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
London, United Kingdom
“Fantastic hotel- will return.”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

I use trip advisor a lot and really depend on it when it comes to booking a holiday so I hope this review is fair and honest.

My partner and I (both in our early 30’s) stayed at the Gloria Palace Amadores for 1 week In April. We stayed half board which was more than sufficient. If you did fancy lunch there are snackbars in the hotel- however, I would advise against these because the food was quite expensive for what it was. Hamburgers/pizza etc. They looked pretty plain and uninspiring.

The breakfast offered a wide variety, fruit, yogurts, cereals, pancakes, freshly cooked bacon and sausage, fried eggs, and also items such as scrambled eggs, boiled eggs, cheese and cold meats. Continental style breakfast, croissants, etc were also available. Coffee/Tea and fruit juice is also provided at no extra cost.

The dinner food was a real mixture of food!- you could literally stuff yourself silly. (we did) Foods including steak, chicken, fish, sausages, seafood. Each night they also had a different theme and it was fun guessing what the next day would be! You won’t go hungry that’s for sure, you can have as much or as little as you fancy.
My only complaint would be that sometimes the food was luke warm and towards the end of my holiday I did feel it was all a bit samey samey. This includes the deserts which was the same choices everynight. Saying this though, there was a selection of about 8 to choose from not including ice cream! So its fine-don’t worry!!!
A shame water wasn’t included with your meal. A small glass bottle of water was 2.5 euros. ( a large plastic one cost 2.5 but you could not have these in the restaurant)
The restaurant did feel a little chaotic at times, but overall it was fine. If you like a more intimate dinner and not of that in a busy area have a table outside. ( see tips )
You can upgrade to full board or all inclusive once there should you wish too. (For all inclusive it was 26 euros per person per day…..too much unless you drink a lot!)

The rooms were great!!!!- very spacious with the most amazing and very private balconies overlooking the sea ( we stayed in Block 3) I think block 1 and 2 is better suited to you if you have children as you wouldn’t have far to go to get to the pools.
There is a mini fridge in your room, enough for a few bottles of water. The cleanliness of the room was superb and it was cleaned daily if you wanted. Towels are provided and lovely little gifts of chocolates were left in the room.
No complaints there. We loved our room and the location for us was perfect.

The local area was ok, Puerto Rico was…a little tacky. Ok for a quick walk around but that’s about it. Much better suited to the younger clientele (under 25’s) which is surprising as most people there seemed to be over this age! We did get stopped by timeshare sellers and even when you said no they continued to harass us to the point of being rude. 2 from Liverpool set upon me one day whilst I was alone and I felt quite intimidated. The tourist board need to sort this out. But don’t let this put you off. If you are fine with staying in the hotel most of the time (we normally aren’t that kind of person, but the hotel is so large and nice it was enjoyable to stay in! )
I was very glad we were staying at such a nice hotel, because the restaurants looked cheap and cheerful, a shame there wasn’t more authentic Spanish looking restaurants. I have no idea what the food was like, but we were glad we had our food sorted for us.

The beach at Puerto Rico is sandy, but the water is dirty looking! – most likely due to the fact the harbour is next to it. The beach at Amadores was STUNNING the water is so clear and turquoise. The sand is a little bit more peppley but not stoney so its still sandyish and fine to walk barefoot on. From the hotel it takes 5 mins to get to Puerto Rico Beach and 15 to Amadores….worth the extra walking time and the walk is along the coastal path away from any roads so its fine and safe to walk even with children.
The cost of 2 sunbeds and a parasol was 10 euros, quite expensive, but for one or 2 days worth it. The nearby toilet is 50cent, if you dont have it then they will not let you use it!

Gripes/Complaints

Drinks was too expensive!!!! … a small plastic cup of vodka and orange was 7.5euros!....a Malibu and Coke 7.5euros a Pina Colada 7.5euros…you see my point. I know it’s a nice hotel but seriously far too costly.

Water 2.50euros, 2.10euros more expensive more expensive than the local shop!

If you wanted a sunbed in a specific area you needed to reserve it by 7.30am (despite there being signs saying please don’t, people did, I did I wont lie because I wanted to spend all day there and it was important I wasn’t too near the pool or bar because I hate noise and getting splashed!. But if you are not fussed where you go there are plenty to go around!!!

I did notice glass a few times on the floor near the snack bars…so wear shoes even if you are getting an ice cream. I did mention this to the waiters, but they looked at me bemused and it still happened on a few more occasions.

Twice I asked for help in the restaurants and the waiters said they would come back to me but never returned!....once all I needed was cutlery and asked him to tell me where it was so I could get it myself, he said he would get it so I waited whilst my food got cold and then gave up and went looking for some myself…a little annoying.

We were woken up at 5.30am one morning and when I rang reception to enquire what the noise was, I felt fobbed off and was told rather abruptly that a water pipe was leaking and that they had men coming to look at it…it would have been nice to have been offered some form of compensation for this. The noise continued until 6.30am and it was LOUD.

On arrival we was offered a glass of champagne or orange juice……but this never came and after a few minutes we felt silly standing there and went to our room. Don’t offer is it if you aren’t going to give it!!- not the greatest first impression. I did see others receive it though, so we felt a little miffed.

Internet was expensive 1euro for 10 mins

Top tips are

Go for dinner before 7.15pm ( ISH) and you can get a table outside without too much of a wait, beyond this time you can wait for upto 30 minutes. Get a drink on the waiting tables and enjoy the sea views is my advice if you prefer a outside table. * Just one thing though, if there is a queue watch out for jumpers in!...some nationalities don’t seem to respect queues and we saw this happen twice which the waiters should address but didn’t. It would be a lot simpler if they took your name down so they knew who was first!

Don’t go to the pharmacy in the hotel. Go to the local supermarket/pharmacy. If you need further sun cream buy it from Spar as its much cheaper there ( we made this mistake and it cost us 6 euros extra) The shop assistants were pushy and not very helpful when we went in for sunburn. She tried to sell us a cream for 25euros that we managed to get in town for over half that price.

Don’t buy water from the hotel, I made this mistake on my first day and it cost me 7.5 euros for 3 large bottles, it cost me 1.20 euros the next day from Spar. You could even get a taxi back from Spar and it still would work out cheaper!

Ask for a room in block 3 or 4 if you want a quiet room, 1 and 2 overlooks the pool and is better suited to those who like to be sociable. All rooms have a sea view.

There are 2 main pools and one small childs pool. 1 is quiet and next to the nudist section. 1 is for activities (you can use inflatable’s in this pool, play games etc) If you do have small children or like to jump in and splash etc please don’t use the quiet pool. It’s not fair on those who want total peace and the other pool is designed specifically for fun/children in mind.

Overall I would definitely go back to the Gloria Palace for one week. Two weeks and I might get a little bored. ( But if you are older then I think you would be fine!)
The hotel is by far the best we have stayed in within Europe. The staff are mostly friendly and helpful. David who tended to be the outside waiter was excellent. The receptionists were all very professional and fluent in many languages which were impressive.
The food was plentiful and tasty and caters for many.
It’s a beautiful hotel and I felt that for what we paid £ 500 each, it was a fantastic price. We are going there again next spring, because it’s ideal for winter sun. But for our main summer holiday we prefer Greece as we feel it has more character and we like to go out in the evenings to local authentic tavernas etc

Room Tip: Go to the local supermarket ( Spar ) and srock up on water there....its 2.5 euros for a large plasti...
6 Thank Miss T
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you for choosing GLORIA Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel**** and the time that you have spent sharing your experience on Tripadvisor.

I would like to thank you for your suggestions about the restaurant. We appreciate your review, which is the best way to be aware of details that makes the difference and helps us to improve the service and maintain the standards.

We take into account every single comment from our guests and appreciate your suggestions about the repetitive food.

Also we would like to thank you for your tips for other guests and detailed description of hotel rooms and local area nearby the hotel.

We are definitely looking forward seeing you again!

Guest Relation Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,281)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 23, 2013

Stayed at this hotel fro the 5th year in a row so i guess i must like it.! Location is great ideally placed for the "new beach" . Good entertainment , improved this year in my opinion, now the major moan. Dress code for the evening meal.... Its either trousers(jeans etc) or its not. In the evening you would see shorts of various description (Beach and others) so my gripe is either enforce it as i experience in 5 star hotels on the greek islands or forget it.
Otherwise i would recomend this hotel .

Room Tip: They are all sea views so no problem there
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
4 Thank ray h
Dear Guest,

I regret that you were a little disappointed with the dress code. We kindly ask the guests to wear appropriate clothes at dinner, and it is signed as well at all the entries of the restaurant.

Thank you for recommending us and we are looking forward to see you again!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed at a nearby complex last year but on the recommendation of a friend we decided to try the Gloria Palace this year.
The room.......
Very spacious with sofa and armchair
Large beds
Large bathroom with 2 sinks and separate toilet
Powerful shower
Wall mounted hairdryer in the bathroom
Plenty of wardrobe space (take extra hangers - never yet found a hotel which supplies enough)
Small flat screen tv ( some English channels)
Tea/coffee making facilities (replenished daily)
Large balcony with 2 chairs, table and 2 loungers (clothes drying rail)
Safe (as usual there is an extra charge)
Room - very clean and comfortable
Only supplied with 1 pillow each (we like 2 each) - asked at reception and we were quickly supplied with 2 more.
Toiletries supplied (shampoo/gel/shower cap/shoe cleaning kit)

Food -

We stayed half board as most days we like to have breakfast and go out for the day. Buffet breakfast - plenty of choice. Evening meal - buffet and an amazing amount of choice. You could not possibly try everything even if you stayed for 2 weeks. Themed evenings - food selection from other countries e.g Italy, Mexico

Drinks -
Drinks included at breakfast but had to be paid for in the evening if half board. Drinks could be charged to your room or paid for as you go along.Prices were around 4 euros for a glass of wine, 2.5 euros for a bottle of water, 4 euros for a beer and 7.5 euros for a cocktail.

You could upgrade to all inclusive at the hotel (26 euros each per day)

Evening entertainment in the inside bar each night - can't comment as did not watch.

I cannot comment on the spa facilities as we did not use them.

From 8pm onwards each night the Chill Out Bar was the venue we chose. It was outside by the edge of the terrace. You had a fantastic view out to sea and of the stars. Music played quietly and as all drinks had to be paid for ( even if you were all inclusive) you could always get a seat.

During the day there was entertainment for adults as well as children. On the Monday we watched a fashion show by the pool. There were also cookery and sangria making demonstrations.

There are 2 pools - one for adults only. There did not seem any problem getting loungers around this pool.

Out and about -

There is a panoramic lift system which takes you directly down onto the walk way along the coast - this is a fantastic addition to the hotel as it avoids a walk up a very steep hill. You need your hotel key card to open the door back into the lift area - this prevents non residents using the lifts.

Once on the walkway if you turn left it is a 5 minute stroll to Puerto Rico harbour. If you turn right it is a 10 minute stroll to the lovely beach at Amadores. At Amadores there is a fantastic Italian restaurant called Casa Italia. Do go there (it is in the row of shops/restaurants on the beach front). The food is excellent and the staff are lovely. We went several times both last year and this year. The food is as well presented and as tasty as any restaurant we have tried in Rome.

We paid 10 euros for 2 loungers and 1 umbrella for the day. The beach has toilets and showers.

We went on the VIP Tour booked throught the Thomas Cook Rep. It was a brilliant day. We travelled in air conditioned Mercedes Mini buses right into the centre of the island. The views are spectacular and the vegetation is very green. We stopped at a lovely traditional village and included in the price was a lovely 3 course lunch with wine. We also had an afternoon break - included in the cost was a drink and a slice of freshly baked cake.

We would highly recommend this hotel and the staff did everything possible to make your stay a good one.

Room Tip: Only a handful of rooms seem to have balconys large enough to have loungers and tables and chairs. R...
5 Thank loves2travel59
Dear Guest,

I pretty much appreciate your review such a high valued score which is full of details and tips for other guests. I am also glad that all the GLORIA team has met your expectations with our facilities, furnishing, as well as the staff.

It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you are especially commenting on the excellent staff and that you recommend the food.

We hope to see you soon on our wonderful island.

Glad Regards,

Cork, Ireland
Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

First the good points 1 The hotel is beautiful and exceptionally clean. 2 The pool area is superb. Pool is heated. 3 Kids club and kids entertainment was excellent. Now the bad points. 1 Staff in the restaurant were very ignorant. Buffet restaurant was poor. Food choice wasn't great. 2 There wasn't enough bar staff at d pool bar an there was always a queue for drinks and snacks. 3 You had to put out your towels for the sun loungers by the pool before 8am or else you had no chance of getting a bed by the pool. Ok my overall opinion is it is a beautiful hotel and I would go back and stay there again.

• Stayed April 2013
3 Thank Peewee021
Dear Guest,

I appreciate your feedback, which is very important for us in order to improve our service and maintain the standards.

It is a great pleasure that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and that you are especially commenting on the pool area and kids club.

Also, thank you for your notice about the restaurant, pool bar and availability of sunbeds. We are taking measures to improve it and your opinion is very important for us.

I really hope to see you again soon.

Burton upon Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Our family of 6 (2A 4C) stayed at this hotel for the first week of Easter. It was the best hotel I have stayed in - and I have travelled Europe well. The reception staff are really helpful and staff are ready to take your luggage to your room. The rooms are the biggest that I have stayed in and the maid even leaves you the odd chocolate! We mainly stayed at the pool that was closest to our room and it was great. Both pools are infinity pools and the views and sunsets are stunning as you look out to sea. The range of drinks available on the all inclusive was fantastic - even non alcoholic cocktails for the kids. The food was brill and I am a fussy eater... the normal buffet selection is there, freshly cooked meat and fish... pancakes for breakfast... For the evening meal there is a children's area that include plastic plates which I thought was great. One morning for breakfast we were greeted with champagne on arrival to the dining room and then found that strawberries were there too!!!! Yes, I said for breakfast! There is also a theme night on top of normal food such as Cuban, Mexican, Italian, Canarian....
It looks like all the rooms have a sea view. As you come out of the hotel using the seaview lift which goes outside the building, you can walk the costal path left or right for beaches. It's a lovely walk with shops, restaurants etc either way. Walk left for more choice. There is no hassle from sellers in this resort and restaurant touts have pleasant banter. It is rare that I want to go back to the same hotel but we didn't want to leave and we'd definately go back again to this hotel. Touring the island is cheap by bus, plenty of excursions and taxi's park outside the hotel too. The only strange bit was you get your all inclusive wrist band but need your room card (which has your name on and you can keep - everybody in the party) to get the drinks - even in the dining room but I was told that it is for their audit purposes to see what the customer likes etc but not a problem at all. I am jealous that you will probably be going before we get to go again!!!! Enjoy!!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room higher up for perfect sea views, we were 2 floors up and had pool area and sea view w...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Themad6
GLORIAPALACEF, Fidelización de Clientes at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this review, April 23, 2013
Dear guest,

Let me thank you for your kind comment left on Tripadvisor. We constantly strive to exceed our guest’s expectations of service and it is always satisfying to hear that these efforts are noticed.

It is pleasure to hear your nice comments about different aspects from the hotel, but the most important for us is to know that we have met your expectations and you enjoyed a memorable experience.

Hoping to see you soon,

Kind regards,

Cristian Díaz
Customer Loyalty
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Have just got home from the Gloria Palace and wanted to give an honest opinion of the hotel I always find trip advisor very helpful when choosing which hotel I go to on holiday so hear we go .... firstly we loved the location having walked past it a couple of times on previous visits to Gran Canaria we knew beforehand exactly where the hotel was situated it was perfect the promenade between Amadores and Puerto Rico is ideal for lovely walks. The rooms were fantastic we were in block 3 room 3210 and the views were to die for the rooms were huge and very comfortable with tea coffee making facilities provided and clean towels etc every day very comfy beds plenty storage space and a fantastic shower etc in the bathroom the maids kept the room spotless... Now unfortunately I will go to the faults the pool area was lovely with a gorgeous infinity pool with amazing views but overcrowded with sunbeds you literally could hardly move for them which was a shame as it spoiled this area a bit as far as I am concerned... Also I was very dissapointed with a few things in the restaurant firstly at breakfast on one occasion having to ask for tea bags as they had none no tea bags materialised and had to ask again the same thing happened a couple of days later with teapots waited ages on someone to bring them and to crown it all no hot water in the urn had to wait till the lady came to top up the urn surely in a four star hotel they can do better than this..... Then on a few occasions in the evening the meals were cold ?? Food trays that had ran out were not getting replaced ?? It was a shame as I think the overall standard was very good it just seemed that there was no one checking that these things were getting attended to.which I felt let the hotel down. Another issue was on a couple of occasions the lifts to the promenade were out of order which wasnt a problem for us but anyone with walking difficulties or with children it would have been a nightmare. So come on Gloria Palace get your act together and look into these things or people like myself will go elsewhere we loved Amadores etc but I would not go back to this hotel.

Room Tip: Block three high floor had fantastic sea views and a sunny balcony
5 Thank HappyWanderer62
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience with us through Tripadvisor.

We appreciate knowing that you liked our rooms. It’s also nice to hear you liked the location.

Thank you for mentioning some points that we could improve. We have taken notes of your comments. It is important for us to receive feedback from our guests in order to improve and maintain our standards.

Once again we would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us.

Kind regards,

Cristian Díaz
Customer Loyalty
Manchester

Reception
Check-In very relaxed with complimentary drinks, staff were very pleasant and helpful during our stay.
Room
We were in block 4 level 7, which is the lower floor confusing I know. I have not been in a hotel with rooms as big with large balcony with a great sea view. TV was a bit small considering the size of room, you would need great eyesight to see picture if lying on bed.
Pool
Pool area was very clean with plenty of sunbeds, only grip was that a lot of the sun brollies were broken.
Restaraunt
The food was of a high standard with plenty to choose from, only grip again people were allowed in, wearing shorts and flip flops for dinner, also there should be a separate dining area for people with young children in prams. The outside balcony should also be adult only, as couples were trying to celebrating anniversaries and birthdays, with babies crying and screaming.
Location
The hotel is positioned in between Porto Rico and Amadores beaches. Porto Rico beach is 15 min walk and Amadores beach 20 min walk, there is a lift that takes you down to the promenade but beware, this lift breaks down quite regularly and there is 7 flight of stairs to climb up, we chose to get a taxi back at around 2.5 euros.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
GLORIA_TH, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel, responded to this review, January 22, 2016
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your feedback. It is a big pleasure to read that you enjoyed your room, pool area and restaurant.

Also, thank you for your suggestions about restaurant areas. Two years ago we have already introduced the area for clients with people as well as the special children menu and tables

We hope to see you next time.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Rico
#4 of 134 in Playa del Ingles
Cordial Mogan Playa
Cordial Mogan Playa
#1 of 2 in Puerto de Mogan

Been to Gloria Palace Amadores Thalasso & Hotel? Share your experiences!