“An AMAZING and UNFORGETTABLE holiday... we all want to go back!”

ClubHotel Riu Vistamar
Ranked #10 of 70 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Bristol
“An AMAZING and UNFORGETTABLE holiday... we all want to go back!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2011

Well, my boyfriend and I and another couple (we're all 24) got back yesterday after an amazing holiday at the Riu Vistamar. We stayed for 2 weeks, and our friends came out to join us for the 2nd week. When we arrived at 2am food was laid out for us, we weren't hungry so we did not have any but our friends did when they arrived. They said it was mainly salad and bread but I thought it was impressive to offer food at this time. We had emailed in advance asking for a room on the 5th floor and said we wanted to eat our evening meal at 8:30pm (they offer 6.30 or 8.30), both requests were granted, so a very good start! Our friends asked for a close to us and they were located 2 rooms down from ours.

The rooms were lovely, the views from the balcony outstanding - all you could see was the blue ocean, there was lots of storage space (very handy when we did not pack lightly!), plenty of hangers which makes a change, very clean, free safe box, fridge and powerful shower which again makes a change! The only negative was that the air con was ok, but not great. I would agree with a previous review and say the 5th floor is probably not the best as the sun beats down on it, the 4th floor would probably be better in hindsight. However, it did not affect us much. The maid comes in daily and always left the room really clean and tidy. You can ask reception for as many free litre bottles of water as you want - really helpful having them in the fridge in the room.

The staff are absolutely wonderful, definitely the friendliest staff I have come across, they were even friendlier than on a 5* cruise I have been on! The very trim and fit guy who does the aqua aerobics was hilarious (he reminded us of a gran canaria Louis Spence!). Definitely a highlight of the holiday, his camp dancemoves had us all in stitches! It was my holiday when I was over there and lots of different staff sang happy birthday to me and arranged a special decorated birthday breakfast table. They also left a fruit platter and bottle of wine in my room which I thought was lovely.

The food was incredible. I usually prefer self catering places but this hotel has definitely changed my mind! I am a pretty fussy eater but the gorgeous food even got me trying new things. Everything was so so tasty, even down to the vegetables. Contrary to some previous reviews, the food was plentiful and was very varied. The only snag (and I am being picky!) is that the tables in the restaurant are placed very close together!) However when our friends arrived the 2nd week a 4 seat table was arranged and that felt less cosy with the next tables. You can also choose to book a table in the pool side bar where there are themed evenings - there is no exytra charge. BBQ was Tues-Weds, Asian Thurs-Fri and Mediterranean Sat-Mon.The BBQ night was our fave (we had it 3 out of 14 nights) - the meat was so tender and fell apart. My boyfriend would have about 6 pieces of the steak on his plate! The drinks were also really nice, plenty to choose from. Personally, the wine on tap was lovely and I enjoyed the cocktails on offer. Not once did we feel like eating out. We only did once, on my birthday as we ventured along to Playa de Ingles.

The only real negative about this hotel was the evening entertainment. The day entertainment programme was really good (sports, bingo, aquagym were the ones we sampled) but most of the evening stuff was poor. Saying that, the external acts were pretty good (eg. an acrobatic act, Michael Jackson and Tina Turner tributes, African dancers act), but the shows by the internal hotel entertainers were disappointing and cringy at times. They did give it their all though and were trying really hard to entertain. Therefore some nights we ventured out to the centre of Puerto Rico (a bar called Tropicana was good fun). Taxi was 3-4 euros each way so pretty cheap, especially when there was 4 of us. There is also an area of bars, restaurants and shops a 5 min walk from the hotel. There is a bar there called XTREEMZ and it was brilliant, I would definitely recommend a visit. The DJ Russ is hilarious, there are shots at the DJ booth and he is a comedian/quiz master. He gives people nicknames depending on where they live (I was Miss Bristol), or your football team etc. He jumps between telling jokes and asking questions, if you know the answer you shout it out and you either have the shot yourself or nominate someone else in the bar (at his discretion!) Always had a wicked night there!

People have said there is no problem about getting subeds, but that's rubblish. If there is more than 2 of you, you do need to get down by the pool by about 9-10am to have a chance really. When it was just the 2 of us, we strolled up at about 11 or 12 and we were fine.

I would recommend a trip to Paltimos animal Park. We went there on my birthday and it was a lot better than anticipated. People have moaned about the 28euro price but it is definitely worth it! We were there from just before11 to half 4 and we had a wonderful time. There are loads of types of animals and the setting of the parl is lovely - it's surrounded by greenery and so there is lots of shade which was nice in the intense heat!

I would not recommend going on the SuperCat catamaran, at 50euros each I thought it was awful. I thought we would stop off for several swimming stops in the sea but there was just one. It boasts an all inclusive day and the food was nice - chicken, potatoes, salad and bread but the drinks were cheap and nasty, really cheap and horrible fizzy drinks. Real rip off, we figured out they make 12,500 euros on each 5 hour trip. My advice is do not bother!!!!

My boyfriend was violently ill one day but it only lasted 24 hours. Initially we thought it may have been the dreaded food poisoning but we soon found out (from talking to others) that others had had it and seemed to be a 24 hour bug. The hotel is really, really, really clean so I can only imagine that guests had brought the bug in. Despite this, it did not ruin our holiday, but I imagine it would have been worse if we had only been there for a week. When he was ill the staff were again really lovely, calling our room phone to see how he was.

There is a little fishing village place called Puerto Mogan nearby (you can catch a sea ferry there for 8euros each return) - definitely go there, they call it "Little Venice" and it is SO pretty! There is a market on a Friday so worth going on that day.

On our last day we wanted to keep our room (as we were not leaving until 12 hours after checkout) but we could not as the hotel was full. However they arranged for us to have use of a complimentary room to shower and get ready etc (this was because the shower room to be used for this purpose was very busy). So again they went the extra mile to make us happy. It was also a bonus as we did not pay the 50euros to keep our room and ended up getting to use a room anyway!

Overall an AMAZING holiday. The gorgeous sea views, the friendly and accommodating staff and the wonderful food are the main benefits of this hotel. We have come home with amazing memories (and larger waistlines- oops!!) We would definitely return. In fact there was a family there who had been to this hotel 8 times and I can understand why. The only reason I would not go back is that I like to experience and explore different places, but I will definitely pick a Riu hotel if I go to another resort/Country.

Room Tip: Email in advance and ask for a room on the 4th or 5th floor (4th floor probably cooler!)
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank KatieLou_11

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (671)
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

We have just stayed at the Riu Vistamar for 2 weeks and found the hotel faultless.The hotel is immaculate and staff friendly and efficient.The Rooms were of a good standard however air con could have been a little more powerful but given it was july we expected the heat.We arrived and were promptly given a room as requested on 5th floor with beautiful view over amadores beach.Rooms were equiped with hairdryer,free safe and mini fridge ideal to store the free water available from reception.
I found the food excellent alll hot food served hot and majority prepared infront of you.The selection of food was always good no complaints and no illness for either myself or partner as mentioned on previous reviews,the likely hood is the illness mention is a viral 24 bug probably spread by some ill coming to the hotel or by not washing their hands properly before handling food.
We had no trouble getting sunbeds daily by the pools although some people were coming at midday and expecting them to be available which is unlikely due to how busy hotel was.The drinks and snacks avaialble by the pool area were good and self service machines in place for soft drinks,beer and wine so no queues at bars.
The Entertainment team all work so hard and are lovely and pleasant.They speak a variety of languages and encourage people to become involved in activities without pressure.The Kids Club was very popular and had mini disco each evening at 8am for half hour,then sometimes dance lessons or quiz would follow before the main showtime at 9.30 which was wither provided by the inhouse team or occassionly and outside act like Tina Turner or Michael Jackson tributes.

The hotel is situated on steeps bank but after few mins walk to top its only a further 5 mins to the europa centre,this offers selection of bars and shops if you fancy a change.

All in all a fab hotel and would go back any day

Room Tip: 5th floor room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank sarah s
Blackburn, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

Just returned back to rainy UK after staying for a week at this excellent hotel. Firstly the weather was incredible all week not a cloud in the sky so temperatures were soaring! As for hotel the service from the staff is about the best I've ever experienced, they were so friendly and when we asked to change rooms they just processed it in such a professional manner. Speaking of which, the reason we had to change rooms was based on us asking for a 5th floor room (after reading the earlier reviews) they granted our wish however what we later found out is that the 5th floor is the hottest! The sun beats down on the roof all day so it prevents the air con from doing it's job. We therefore asked for a 4th floor room (as the steps are a bit too much on the lower floors) and the difference was amazing i.e. Nice cool room! My advice is to ask for a 4th floor room in July and august otherwise you'll be sweting buckets on the 5th! Please don't let this slightly negative comment throw you as all in all it was an excellent holiday. The views, high standard of food, incredible service and superb weather mean that this holiday will be long remembered for the right reasons...

• Stayed July 2011
4 Thank MrQA
Bangor, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 17, 2011

My family and i went here in august 2010 and couldnt fault the hotel ,its what you expect from the Riu group.The only thing is that the hotel is perched on top of the hill and although the views are to die for the walk back up from the beach is a killer if you dont wait for the courtesy bus which the hotel lays on.We used the taxi,s to take us into peurto mogan which has to be the nicest town in Gran Canaria it is known as little Venice and is really very picturess,also there is a market on during the week and we got a water taxi in peurto rico and travelled round to mogan that way very enjoyable and something different for the boys.All in All an enjoyable holiday ,would i go back, dont think so seen enough of the island now.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank Gaz46
u.k
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2011

Had a good holiday, the weather was spot on. Will not be returning to this resort however or the hotel as it is very hilly, we love to walk on holiday but it was quite challenging at times in the heat. The hotel was good with extremely friendly staff who were always happy to help. However you needed to be quite fit to manage all the stairs. Lifts were very slow and there wasn't enough for the amount of guests. Getting to the restaurant at busy times was a nightmare, lucky we were fit enough to manage the 8 flights of stairs.

Room Tip: All rooms had sea views, but if you are not fit I would recomend you request a high floor
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Wicky18
Plovdiv, Bulgaria
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

We have just returned from a lovely vacation in Gran Canaria.We were 3 families with children.As our flight was late we arrived at the hotel at 1 after midnight.The staff were waiting for us and did their best to arrange formalities quickly-even dinner was left for us in the restaurant.The hotel stays on a cliff just above the Amadores beach and the view from the rooms is breathtaking.The 2 pools on top of the hotel and the kids one are smart.My little daughter felt very happy each evening with the mini discos next to the restaurant.Meals and drinks are abundant-there is food for each taste.What else to say-we just loved this this hotel.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank kotzeto
Cardiff, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 14, 2011

We stayed for 1 week at being of July and met family who were already staying there. We found the Hotel to be spotlessly clean and all its staff members very friendly. There was a good variety of food and drink to suit our tastes. We requested room on 5th floor which was granted. There is a free fridge and free safe and free bottles of water from reception. Rooms cleaned every day and towels changed daily if required. Hotel is not suitable for the less mobile due to location of pools and location of hotel itself. There is a coutesy bus to the besch which runs every hour.

Although we enjoyed our holiday I wouldn't stay there again due to location(although we knew this before going) as we enjoy going out for a walk after our evening meal - we did walk into Puerto Rico one evening but this encountered approximately 600 steps and a taxi home (which was reasonably priced).

I would recomment this to be a good value for money hotel for families who like to stay on site.

Room Tip: Email hotel to request a room on 5th floor.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family