“Would I Return? NO”

Servatur Puerto Azul
Ranked #24 of 67 Hotels in Puerto Rico
Reviewed October 1, 2012

Had asked for a high room overlooking Puerto Rico bay as these get the morning sun - so much better with no air con in the rooms - however was told they were being refurbed and we had been given a high room on the front of the hotel - meaning hot afternoon sun with only a fan to move air around.

Getting to the room we were told we could not take our cases through the swimming pool area so were directed via 2 lifts and a route march... our room then turned out to be 2 floors down from the swimming pool via 1 lift if we could have come that way. GUESS WHAT the following day - different receptionist so everyone coming through the pool area with cases!!!

Also having arrived after a 4 hr flight delay too late for the snacks and too early for the evening meal - asking the receptionist if there was anywhere in the hotel we could get something to eat we were told NO it was only a couple of hours to evening meal so would have to wait .... mmmm .. Investigating oursleves we found the onsite supermarket stocked everything you could need for self catering so we could have made ourselves a sandwich - why didn't we get told this???

SNACKS - hot dogs / burgers (I won't say beef as I don't think they were but I may be wrong) & of course chips - just watch out for the pigeons as they enjoy it as much as you do, staff do not seem to chase them out of the pool bar area and the birds just hop onto any tables with left over food on them to help themselves - it doesn't help when some guests then also feed them.
RESTAURANT - the "show" cooking usually started after people had actually entered the restaurant so queues formed so the chef rushed the cooking and the food was often then undercooked - the carvery - the chef here thought meat should be carved like lace curtains and everyone should be given childrens portions - the best laugh was when chicken was on and I would call them small to start with only to have the chef cut everything in half, one poor woman got a drumstick that was so small everyone was laughing. Deserts were mostly designed for people without teeth - mousse / jelly / custards etc but they do put on a chocolate fountain with profiteroles etc to dip in - however just look what else they put out with it - childrens sweets ??? and guess what we say kids dipping their fingers in the fountain rather than the food....

Daily entertainment - well as there is only 1 entertainment staff for both adults and children you pretty much can guess there was nothing going on - OH other than water aerobics which used the music from the pool bar turned up to full level so being in the pool bar at this time was head thumping to say the least (and that was when the music system actually worked!!)

The rooms were kept fairly clean - but could have been better - the patio table was filthy on arrival but was cleaned mid way through our holiday.

TV well you have to pay if you want more channels - buy a card from a machine in reception - worth it if you want to get away from the evening entertainment.

No will not be going again as on top of the above the location is not the best you need to get taxis unless you want to be sweaty when you get to where you are going.

Room Tip: Ask for high overlooking Puerto Rico bay
2  Thank wagstal
Write a ReviewReviews (1,965)

Reviewed September 29, 2012

Arrived early evening,lady in reception was very polite and spoke good English. The transfer was only an hour and dropped about 6 other groups off first as well. Found room quite easily, you do have to go in a couple of lifts but once you have done it a couple of times it is really easy to remember. Room was very clean, they do get quite warm but it only takes 2 minutes with the window open and the fan on to cool it down. The kitchenette had a microwave, kettle, coffee maker, toaster, fridge ( with a little freezer in) and a cooking hob as well. The view from the balcony was amazing and we would sit out on the deck chairs in the evening when all the lights were on, it was gorgeous. To walk down the beach there are about 700 steps, ( they were numbered!) which going down is fine just a bit hot on the way back up. You have a choice of 2 beaches the puerto rico and amadores which are right next to each other. There is a spa and then a few minutes walk away is a little shopping centre with a few market type stands and restaurants. The food is good, bit repetitive but okay. I am a very fussy eater but they always had chips and plain pasta as well as bread rolls so I always had something I could eat. There are 2 sittings the second one is 8.30 till 10 but u can just ask them to change to the earlier one if u want You get the choice of coke, lemonade, lime or orangade then wine and beer as well as orange, tropical and apple juices. At the pool bar you also get an all inclusive list of cocktails and liqueur which are really nice and we ordered a couple of amarettos and you get more than half a glass full. They don't have ashtrays but they do have cups with water in that you use instead. Pools were good one was having maintenance on but the other one was the biggest so that was okay. The adult area is so peaceful and quiet you don't feel that you are next to the other pools. The views of the mountains and sea are breathtaking. There is a lady there almost everyday that gives a really good back massage ! The jacuzzis warmed up quite early on from the heat of the sun. All the staff spoke English to us straight away and were all very helpful. We also hired a car for a couple of days for 60 euros from the place outside and went to maspalomas one day and a crocodile park on the other. Maspalomas is lovely but keep an eye out for the nudist beach ! WouLd stay there again. Very relaxing holiday, was nervous before I went due to other reviews but it is a lovely hotel and I had a very memorable holiday.

Room Tip: We stayed in the side of the rooms 3000 to 4000 which have really good views.
5  Thank AliciaFaith
Reviewed September 27, 2012

went on holiday with my two sisters for a nice quiet ,relaxing holiday , so was`nt sure what to expect from reading previous reviews , we arrived late at night and managed to find our room ok
room was very hot , but opened patio doors at night , when we woke up to see the views of the sea the morning , well that speaks for its self ( see pic) rooms were clean but basic , loved the adult area for sunbathing although it would have been nice to have parasols there as it was a suntrap, food was good my sisters are vegetarian so was worried there would not be enough choice for them , but there was plenty for them good variety to choose from, entertainment was ok , but its opptional there are more bars with entertanment 5 mins away ,remember this hotel is open all year and repairs have to get done , so when we were there the adult pool was closed but opened before we went home and was lovely and warm pool ,overall we had a good time , had a nice room and the other stuff that people complain about is not worth worry about

Room Tip: request a upper floor room
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
4  Thank Carolann M
Reviewed September 24, 2012

Took over 4 hours from the airport to arrive at the hotel by transfer - not entirely their fault as a coach had broken down and ours had to take extras but it was awful. So in hotel after midnight, eventually found our room - helped by 2 teenagers and another couple when we were lost "again" - it is a maize of lifts and walkways. Room like an oven just a fan to put on, opened the curtains to be faced with a WALL with lovely pipes down it - NOT the seaview I had requested as this was a birthday holiday for my husband's 70th. Found my way back to reception and asked to be moved, come back at 9am in morning. To be fair they moved us to a seaview - well looking across the hotel to the sea but at least not a wall. Disappointed with the food and though the entertainments was okay it was so "flat" - the audience seemed to just sit there like cardboard cutouts and drink their all inclusive. Also there were people there on self catering who blatantly used the all inclusive services during the day,helping themselves to food and drink - nobody challenged them - so why did I pay the extra ??? One of the pools was shut as all the tiles were falling into the water, very dangerous the way they left it "open" and empty for the week we were there, kids could have fallen in it. Yes I saw cockroaches too but I have seen them in lots of places - it is Spain, they have them. I did not have a complaint with my room, it was clean and big enough. Went to the Barbacoa and that is great, just up the hill or cab for 2.5 Euros, drinks good price and entertainment very good.

Room Tip: To be honest I have not got a clue as it is a maize there.
2  Thank winklepinkle
Reviewed September 21, 2012

Read the reviews prior to going, but took them with a pinch of salt as everyone has different values. S0 Wrong - Where to start !!!!
Arrived mid afternoon and had to wait an hour as our room wasn't ready (fair enough - went to have a drink after a long flight and long transfer). Had to que to get a drink in a plastic cup - noticed no ashtrays on tables - more plastic cups with ciggie ends floating in them). Dirty dishes and plates lying on dirty tables, floor in bar / food area wet due to people coming out of pool and walking into this area, despit sign being up to ask them to wear footwear and dry off first).
After our 1st hour - we finally got to go to our room --- past the pool, round the side, down one lift, round another walkway, down another lift etc...etc... found the room. Went in ..... We had waited an hour for this to be cleaned .....!!! ok - dishes were cracked and dirty, Worktops smudged in old margarine ? (hard to tell).. Sheets on the bed did not look clean - creased and had hair on them. Furniture cracked and broken - just BAD.
Since we had booked in for 2 weeks A/I, I just gritted my teeth and didn't say anything so not to anger my husband.
Went for dinner on first night to be told we had to select when we were to have dinner - I said I would eat when I was hungry as on holiday and didn't know what we would be doing, so would eat within the resturant times - NOT ACCEPTABLE - You Will eat at 8.30pm .... Yes Mum !!! Food ok - drink awful. And yes - for breakfast you can still have left over vegetables and chips.
Swimming Pool - Broken Tiles statments are an understatement. The pool is a danger zone - children with cut feet / toes - blood on the ground. The water - Layer of scum on surface - water level is low, it was Disgusting.
The jaccuzzis did not work in adult area - basically big buckets of cold water topped with sun oil and lord knows what else - Absolutely Thithly. Cleaned once in the 4 days we were there.
This place should never have a 3 star rating - 1 Star would be very generous.
Got to day 4 - found a plate of left over food from ?? previous occupants in our apartment microwave (as A/I hadn't opened it previously)
This is when my hubby flipped - he'd had enough.
Managment NOT Interested in your comments / complaints - So we left.
Unfortunately we had to pay more to get a better hotel - but it was well worth it to get away from that place.
All in all - If you work hard for a living and want a nice relaxing holiday in the sun - Please don't risk your hard earned money by going to this place.
It's only for a certain type of client group - and I'm afraid I have certain standards I expect when I go on a well earned holiday.

Room Tip: Don't Book This Hotel........
5  Thank Rhona C
Reviewed September 18, 2012 via mobile

We arrived in the middle of the night to a sweaty unfriendly night manager. Once we had maneuvered 2 lifts to go down loaded 2 floors we found our room (465 I think) it was boiling hot with one fan in the main room. We introduced ourselves to the main other guests in our room, the cockroaches, noticed there was not a double bed settee in the living room (my husband and i had planned to share the double bed settee and give the kids the bedroom) but we had a crappy camp bed instead. I headed back to see 'sweaty unfriendly' who told me he would get another bed organised???? and advised me to discuss all other issues with the day manager as that is all he had.
Do basically yhst was the start to 2 works of a crap room , crap staff and crap service.
Staff on a whole were unfriendly, rude, lied on occasion, unhelpful, and answered all complaints an enquiries with little customer service or when pushed requested money to improve the service- 2nd fan, better room etc.
Rooms were outdated, in need of repair, kitchen was falling apart, fan was average (one per apartment). BALCONY AND VIEW BRILLIANT.
Hotel needs updated, reception smells, no lobby piano bar (that's where they have the laundry)
Lifts are awful, damaged, smelly, often not working.
Pool has so much potential except that all the mosaic tiles are falling off .
The pool security guard is like Mall Cop- complete joke and doesn't work weekends when Spanish people with local apartments use the hotel pool and sun bed for free.
Entertainment was terrible not helped by the fact that the stage faced into the pool restaurant and that most if the tables and seating was covered in sticky beer spills from the all d ay boozers.
This is a hotel for people who drink all day, would sleep in a squat, be entertained by paint drying and are happy to flush hard earned cash foes the toilet. And are happy ti hang out with underage kids being served alcohol all day.
No bar after 11pm!!!!
Only had poor quality alcohol and didnt stock main brands even for paying and guests (nearly everyone all inclusive). Staff looked confused when i asked what Rose wine they had in stock, i am not fussy, just wanted what was available in a normal Spanish bar. "we only for red or white"
On a good note Puerto Rico continues to be a good base for holding in Gran Canaria, Amadores beach continues to be great even with some of the shops and restaurants closed with the recession.
I love this island but this hotel is awful!!!

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 18, 2012

Just got back from a 2week stay at th Puerto Azul and loved every min of it! After reading all the negative reviews my family and I (husband and 3 young kids) were more than a little nervous about our trip. We had absolutely no reason to be nervous what so ever, in fact I never bother writing a review but I was so infuriated by some of the negative reviews I had red to what we actually experienced I felt it was worth a good old rant! This hotel is a very good 3* and was excellent value for money. The rooms are more than adequate, we knew when we booked there was no air con , which was not a problem, the fans were enough for an evening. There were plenty of sun beds, we usually went to breakfast at around 8.30am and laid our towels down then without any issues. There had been rumours of a pigeon infestation?? Not sure what that was about, we did see a few birds but the hotel is a the very top of the island at one of the highest points with breath taking views so it is to be expected I think! I have no compliants about the food at all, plenty of variation, always found something yummy to eat. Sure there were things out that I would not have eaten, I just chose something else!?bthats the idea of an all inclusive Buffett, it is aimed to catar for all tastes. I would say that If you are wanting a holiday where you are serves buger, chips and chicken nuggets etc then this is probable not the place for you. My children eat what my husband and I eat at home so we had no problems at dinner time, they loved the fresh sea food and all the other delights, oh and I though I better also add that our food was always piping hot. The entertainment was to be expected, with the exception of a few evenings where it was excellent! The Lional Richie Tribute, the Chinese balancing ninja's, Spanish dancers, the mad hatter......to name a few of the ones which we thought were fab! The staff could not have been any more friendly, when it comes to courtesy i am a strong beleiver you get what you receive and from what i whitnessed the staff was not the problem, some of the guest were ignorant and quite rude to the staff, one bloke sat at the front of the stage with his fingers in his ears shouting 'speak English' when the animation team translated in Spanish......... I wonder why people who do not like the Spanish culture, food and hospitality choose to holiday on a Spanish island!? I would suggest Blackpool for this particular individual! Any way rant over! We had a fantastic time and would definitely recommend. However if you are wanting 5* luxury then you will need to pay a lot extra and stay in a 5* resort. For us this 3* all inclusive delivered and some! Happy Holidays, hope you enjoy it as much as we did:-) Jade and Lee ps look out for Alberto the bar tender such a sweetie

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family